Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Accident in new Y!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No I have not had problems until tonight. No issues judging where wheels are as I am really paranoid about scraping like I did my new Expedition after only 4 months of ownership! Todays mishap was just a perfect storm of a jog in the road/curb at the exact moment my eyes were watching a bicycle rider to see if he was going to dart out in front of me. When my eyes saw the curb I started to correct but a millisecond too late and the sidewall hit/scraped the curb. I expected the wheel to be scarred up and was shocked it looked normal.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like just one of those things. Glad the damage wasn’t worse.

Reactions: LasVegas2019
Glad you are ok. What about tire warranty? I had a flat on the third day and luckily the screw was right in the middle of the tire and not on the wall. A quick $20 repair did the job. But, it left me wondering if we have manufacturer's tire warranty since they are new?! Every time I get new tires I get all the insurance they offer. It always pays back to get it in my experience (I drive my cars hard).

Hector

Tesla called me today and said its only the tire that needs replaced. Rim is ok. They dont have the tire locally but having one overnighted from California. Should be back on the road tomorrow. They said they will also check alignment but highly doubt there was any change in alignment. While I thought I hit the curb almost head on, the tire damage is consistent with just hitting the edge of the curb and it sliced up the sidewall. Its a miracle the rim was not scrapped!

Was driving tonight and did not correct enough for a jog in the road and hit a curb at 30 mph. Front tire immediately deflated. I pulled to the side and parked right away and the wheel and tire visually look ok but when I tried to put air in it the bead would not seal and air just came right back out the side. Tow guy thinks I may have damaged rim just enough to break the bead seal. 21' Uberturbines. This will be an expensive night. Bummer.
Sorry that happened to you but glad to see the wheel (on the surface anyway) didn’t self destruct like the P3D+ boat anchors tend to do.

Stay safe!