Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Big Trip - the good and the bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having picked up my Tesla Model 3 RWD in December, this week saw me make my first big trip in it… to my son’s wedding in London! To be honest, we usually travel by train when we visit, but as that option is pretty unreliable at the moment, and as we had a lot of stuff to take with us (including the wedding cake!) it had to be the car this time.

This was the first time I’d ever used the supercharger network in earnest, apart from a small test charge at the Trafford Centre a few weeks ago, and I was suitably impressed. We live in Lancashire and were 197 miles away from our London destination according to the in-car sat-nav. We were starting fully charged at 100%, so I was somewhat surprised that it suggested stopping at the Rugby Supercharger, by which time it thought I’d be at 18% charge. As it turned out, that prediction was way out - I actually arrived with about 40% charge, so topped up anyway to over 90%. I’d barely had time to sip the coffee I’d bought to drink alongside my picnic sandwiches before the car was telling me it was ready to go - very impressive!

On our return journey we needed to top up at Oxford services and the same thing happened there - I hadn’t even got to the front of the sandwich queue before the app was telling me my charge was almost complete! I actually had to move the car to elsewhere in the car park so I could finish my lunch and avoid incurring an idle fee.

So much for the good bits, now for the bad!

Whoever at TfL had the bright idea to create two small lanes at either side of an otherwise quite wide road that were only 6ft 6ins wide for cars whilst allowing buses to go straight through the middle, and put lovely concrete islands with high kerbs to separate the traffic? Yes, you guessed it - I managed to kerb the alloys! If I have to drive in London again and come across one of these traffic calming monstrosities, I might just be tempted to drive through the centre lane reserved for buses. Yes, the cameras will get me, but the fixed penalty notice will probably be cheaper than fixing the alloys!

17085000686_60004c8b1e_b.jpg

"London Skyline" by Adrian Snood is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail.

If you look at the tires on a Tesla, you will see that the wheel sticks out pretty even if not further than the tire.
If you look at other vehicles, you'll see that the tire sticks out well beyond the rim.

In another vehicle, curbing the wheel just tends to tear up the rubber. In a Tesla it gets the rubber and the rim.
This is probably because the tire is designed to reduce rolling resistance and has a relatively high pressure. So a Tesla tire is more like a square U, as opposed to normal radials which are fat, lazy, and wide U's.

Wheel rash in a Tesla is essentially a rite of passage. There are those that have it and those that are going to get it.

Quite possibly, but they can't be any worse than what the the genuine hub caps on my 2019 M3 did to my wheels within a few thousand miles. Are the genuine Gemini caps any better? and if you have already curbed them you don't have much to lose do you.
Yes of course, unfortunately I put the hub caps on my brand new car as it is a lease I thought this will protect from any curb rash and I can return it without some huge wheel repairs. But looks like I have to do the wheel repairs for all 4 now on top of the cost of Rimtrix. Lesson learned bit expensive.

if it ships with covers, just put them back on. the person checking for trade in value or for wear and tear etc isn’t going to pull them off. And if they do, they’ll all likely have scratches - the alloys underneath aren’t really designed to be cosmetic and the covers are factory fit so I’d be happy to argue the toss with anyone trying to adjsut prices down based on any damage underneath (already there gov, not changed nuffink)

if it ships with covers, just put them back on. the person checking for trade in value or for wear and tear etc isn’t going to pull them off. And if they do, they’ll all likely have scratches - the alloys underneath aren’t really designed to be cosmetic and the covers are factory fit so I’d be happy to argue the toss with anyone trying to adjsut prices down based on any damage underneath (already there gov, not changed nuffink)
They didn’t put the hub caps, it came with the Tesla aero. I bought Rimtrix and put them on top of alloys. I can give it back with Rimtrix but my wife has curbed the Rimtrix all over, so not possible to repair that plastic hubs.

the rimtrix cover the rims not just the body of the wheel so they protect the rim but ironically can also damage it so if you put the original caps back on the rims will be visible again so if they have been damaged by the rimtrix it will be very noticible.

Ah I see. So if the clips on the spokes caused damage you’d probably be ok but these damage the normally exposed rims

I was looking online for uberturbine style covers but you can get them on the 3 but not the Y for some reason? This are usually different designs

Ah I see. So if the clips on the spokes caused damage you’d probably be ok but these damage the normally exposed rims

I was looking online for uberturbine style covers but you can get them on the 3 but not the Y for some reason? This are usually different designs
have you tried Ail Express that is where most people get them from there are several different styles you can get including Uberturbine clones

have you tried Ail Express that is where most people get them from there are several different styles you can get including Uberturbine clones

yep just ended up going around in circles with various combinations that always seemed to end up with uberturbine clones on 18" model 3 and odd ones on the Y like 5 spoke or 7 spoke with fat blades, or the closest I found were like the turbines but with every other spoke being really thin.

Not in a hurry but would prefer dark covers - I like my aeros on my 3.

I did my first big trip last weekend - had the car 7 months now. Warrington to London & back, 2 ppl on the way down, 4 ppl on the way back. Charged to 100%, short stops at Rugby then Westfield followed by a stop at Rugby on the way home was all that was required. Travelled Friday & Sunday, had Sentry on for both days & nights. No queues at the SC's - went like a dream to be honest.

Oh and was highly amused by spanking a rather noisy Ford Mustang GT 5.0 out of the toll booth on the way home - unfortunately nothing wanted to play on the way down 😁

I've fitted AlloyGators to protect my rims.
I think it was a day before the wife very slowly tried to file them down on a curb. Thank god they were there.
Can totally recommend them as the wheel itself was untouched.
If you have some way of re-inflating the tyre then I'd say fit them yourself. By the fourth wheel I could fit one in 15 mins. I did get arm pump though from all the hammering required. 😁

I promote the Magbak RCs, but unfortunately purchased the AlloyGators first, not installed yet
How do the AGs survive future rim rashes? do they fall off completely? My future dream are using RCs as they can be modularly replaced
Maybe when I have the AGs installed, they will challenge my preference for the RCs, we will see

Having picked up my Tesla Model 3 RWD in December, this week saw me make my first big trip in it… to my son’s wedding in London! To be honest, we usually travel by train when we visit, but as that option is pretty unreliable at the moment, and as we had a lot of stuff to take with us (including the wedding cake!) it had to be the car this time.

This was the first time I’d ever used the supercharger network in earnest, apart from a small test charge at the Trafford Centre a few weeks ago, and I was suitably impressed. We live in Lancashire and were 197 miles away from our London destination according to the in-car sat-nav. We were starting fully charged at 100%, so I was somewhat surprised that it suggested stopping at the Rugby Supercharger, by which time it thought I’d be at 18% charge. As it turned out, that prediction was way out - I actually arrived with about 40% charge, so topped up anyway to over 90%. I’d barely had time to sip the coffee I’d bought to drink alongside my picnic sandwiches before the car was telling me it was ready to go - very impressive!

On our return journey we needed to top up at Oxford services and the same thing happened there - I hadn’t even got to the front of the sandwich queue before the app was telling me my charge was almost complete! I actually had to move the car to elsewhere in the car park so I could finish my lunch and avoid incurring an idle fee.

So much for the good bits, now for the bad!

Whoever at TfL had the bright idea to create two small lanes at either side of an otherwise quite wide road that were only 6ft 6ins wide for cars whilst allowing buses to go straight through the middle, and put lovely concrete islands with high kerbs to separate the traffic? Yes, you guessed it - I managed to kerb the alloys! If I have to drive in London again and come across one of these traffic calming monstrosities, I might just be tempted to drive through the centre lane reserved for buses. Yes, the cameras will get me, but the fixed penalty notice will probably be cheaper than fixing the alloys!

View attachment 946180
"London Skyline" by Adrian Snood is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail.

Thank you for the write-up! I am sorry to see about the wheel damage though. London must have a government site where you can provide feedback like this, because very likely, it has happened to others too. It sounds like if they made the lanes wider by at least 1 - 2 feet (0.3 - 0.6 meters), everyone would be in better shape.

Thank you for the write-up! I am sorry to see about the wheel damage though. London must have a government site where you can provide feedback like this, because very likely, it has happened to others too. It sounds like if they made the lanes wider by at least 1 - 2 feet (0.3 - 0.6 meters), everyone would be in better shape.

That kind of defeats road calming measures.

i have gotten really vigilant at spotting pot holes with the alloy wheels. I have learned to drive quite slowly on country “highways” because they always have unexpected bumps lol

Glad to hear you didn’t pop a tire, had this happen once and ruined the whole trip.