Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Big Trip - the good and the bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having picked up my Tesla Model 3 RWD in December, this week saw me make my first big trip in it… to my son’s wedding in London! To be honest, we usually travel by train when we visit, but as that option is pretty unreliable at the moment, and as we had a lot of stuff to take with us (including the wedding cake!) it had to be the car this time.

This was the first time I’d ever used the supercharger network in earnest, apart from a small test charge at the Trafford Centre a few weeks ago, and I was suitably impressed. We live in Lancashire and were 197 miles away from our London destination according to the in-car sat-nav. We were starting fully charged at 100%, so I was somewhat surprised that it suggested stopping at the Rugby Supercharger, by which time it thought I’d be at 18% charge. As it turned out, that prediction was way out - I actually arrived with about 40% charge, so topped up anyway to over 90%. I’d barely had time to sip the coffee I’d bought to drink alongside my picnic sandwiches before the car was telling me it was ready to go - very impressive!

On our return journey we needed to top up at Oxford services and the same thing happened there - I hadn’t even got to the front of the sandwich queue before the app was telling me my charge was almost complete! I actually had to move the car to elsewhere in the car park so I could finish my lunch and avoid incurring an idle fee.

So much for the good bits, now for the bad!

Whoever at TfL had the bright idea to create two small lanes at either side of an otherwise quite wide road that were only 6ft 6ins wide for cars whilst allowing buses to go straight through the middle, and put lovely concrete islands with high kerbs to separate the traffic? Yes, you guessed it - I managed to kerb the alloys! If I have to drive in London again and come across one of these traffic calming monstrosities, I might just be tempted to drive through the centre lane reserved for buses. Yes, the cameras will get me, but the fixed penalty notice will probably be cheaper than fixing the alloys!

17085000686_60004c8b1e_b.jpg

"London Skyline" by Adrian Snood is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail.

So, you have to look a little more closely sometimes that just use the basic recommendations. The basic recommendations are design to make sure that you get there and are quite conservative.
First thing is to NEVER look at the range on the main screen. Just assume that it is wrong. ALWAY use the range that is on the Energy Graph pages, it is much more accurate.

For an out and back that is this short, you probably actually want to add the destination as a waypoint and home as the final destination, then you get what you really need.
And don't forget that the temp and speed you are going is a big player in range, but don't let that bother you too much, because you got home.

The car is going to start suggesting Superchargers when it starts to think that you may only have around 10% at your destination. I commonly just look for a better charger and add that as a waypoint, that will probably remove that earlier charging.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Both are the same imho

It always show the same number in energy graph and nav

I find that initially grapth dips more than projected but it recovers and I end up in the same SOC as predicted by sat nav initially

Whoever at TfL had the bright idea to create two small lanes at either side of an otherwise quite wide road that were only 6ft 6ins wide for cars whilst allowing buses to go straight through the middle, and put lovely concrete islands with high kerbs to separate the traffic? Yes, you guessed it - I managed to kerb the alloys! If I have to drive in London again and come across one of these traffic calming monstrosities, I might just be tempted to drive through the centre lane reserved for buses. Yes, the cameras will get me, but the fixed penalty notice will probably be cheaper than fixing the alloys!
You might want to avoid multi storey car parks and KFC & McD drive thru’s too. That’s where I did mine!

Reactions: Mr K O’Watt
I would say regarding your downsides that cars are wider now than they used to be. It's not right that manufacturers keep building bigger cars, and expect public authorities to expand the size of their roads, parking spaces etc. at great expense. In my opinion there should be rules about how big cars should be, otherwise we'll end up in a constant cat-and-mouse situation like in the USA, where half the population drive 'cars' the size of small HGVs

Having picked up my Tesla Model 3 RWD in December, this week saw me make my first big trip in it… to my son’s wedding in London! To be honest, we usually travel by train when we visit, but as that option is pretty unreliable at the moment, and as we had a lot of stuff to take with us (including the wedding cake!) it had to be the car this time.

This was the first time I’d ever used the supercharger network in earnest, apart from a small test charge at the Trafford Centre a few weeks ago, and I was suitably impressed. We live in Lancashire and were 197 miles away from our London destination according to the in-car sat-nav. We were starting fully charged at 100%, so I was somewhat surprised that it suggested stopping at the Rugby Supercharger, by which time it thought I’d be at 18% charge. As it turned out, that prediction was way out - I actually arrived with about 40% charge, so topped up anyway to over 90%. I’d barely had time to sip the coffee I’d bought to drink alongside my picnic sandwiches before the car was telling me it was ready to go - very impressive!

On our return journey we needed to top up at Oxford services and the same thing happened there - I hadn’t even got to the front of the sandwich queue before the app was telling me my charge was almost complete! I actually had to move the car to elsewhere in the car park so I could finish my lunch and avoid incurring an idle fee.

So much for the good bits, now for the bad!

I recommend these:
1685979237283.png

My wife has managed to kerb 3 of them already but at least I can replace them before she wears her way all the way though to the alloy. In your case they will cover up the damage already done

P.S. I hope you remembered to register for the congestion charge or you will have another memento of the trip coming through your letter box soon!

Last edited:
I recommend these:
View attachment 944154

My wife has managed to kerb 3 of them already but at least I can replace them before she wears her way all the way though to the allow. In your case they will cover up the damage already done

P.S. I hope you remembered to register for the congestion charge or you will have another memento of the trip coming through your letter box soon!

ooh what are they? Not a fan of the geminis but also not a fan of range reduction and £2k on the inductions. Those look really nice

Hub caps that cover the whole wheel including rim. Lots of types out there circa £150 per set mostly from ali express. Not sure if you can get direct from the UK now
Here is an example
But they scratch the alloys badly. I have the Rimtrix hub caps and they have damaged the alloys everywhere. They say it is because of the clips on those hub caps. Check yours and possibly remove it if you notice anything.

But they scratch the alloys badly. I have the Rimtrix hub caps and they have damaged the alloys everywhere. They say it is because of the clips on those hub caps. Check yours and possibly remove it if you notice anything.
Quite possibly, but they can't be any worse than what the the genuine hub caps on my 2019 M3 did to my wheels within a few thousand miles. Are the genuine Gemini caps any better? and if you have already curbed them you don't have much to lose do you.

I recommend these:
View attachment 944154

My wife has managed to kerb 3 of them already but at least I can replace them before she wears her way all the way though to the alloy. In your case they will cover up the damage already done

Thanks for your suggestion @Jason71. As far as the congestion charge is concerned, I didn’t have reason to go there. Dodging all the mad Deliveroo and UberEats bikers in Outer London was quite stressful enough! I don’t remember there being quite so many of them the last time I drove in the capital (which wasn’t THAT long ago, I hasten to add….)

Welcome to the Teslamoanersclub…

Bummer about your wheels, I get your idea about the bus lane though. However you’ll probably find Mr Mayor (SK) has automatic bollards that rise up and beach your car!!

I know what you mean about the SUC’s as well, stopped at Mansfield the other week and had to leg it to the toilets to get back pronto as only needed a swift top up to get home😂. It’s some distance from the shops that location.