Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First car wash problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad to be finally a part of the family and took delivery of my MYP two weeks ago. Put 1000 miles on it and loving it.

I didn't suffer from a ton of quality issues as highly publicized on the internet but this did happen to me while washing it for the first time.

I’m going to need. Really big bag of rice

I foamed up the Y and the alarm went off, then the rear door thought it was open causing the window roll partially down. I opened the driver door to try to trouble shoot and what you see is what happened.

I did 3 resets and nothing improved. After finishing my wash and dry, it seemed to have gone back to normal.

Upon inspecting the door I found that this seal was loose, and this was most likely the culprit:

Possible glitch culprit

Hopefully there isn't any permanent damage. Anyone have any similar issues?

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I'm glad to be finally a part of the family and took delivery of my MYP two weeks ago. Put 1000 miles on it and loving it.

I didn't suffer from a ton of quality issues as highly publicized on the internet but this did happen to me while washing it for the first time.

I’m going to need. Really big bag of rice

I foamed up the Y and the alarm went off, then the rear door thought it was open causing the window roll partially down. I opened the driver door to try to trouble shoot and what you see is what happened.

I did 3 resets and nothing improved. After finishing my wash and dry, it seemed to have gone back to normal.

Upon inspecting the door I found that this seal was loose, and this was most likely the culprit:

Possible glitch culprit

Hopefully there isn't any permanent damage. Anyone have any similar issues?
I'm sorry that happened. Would you mind posting a wider shot also so I can tell exactly where that loose hunka rubber is on the door? Thanks.

I'm sorry that happened. Would you mind posting a wider shot also so I can tell exactly where that loose hunka rubber is on the door? Thanks.
If you open both the driver's side door and the rear driver's door, look at the hinge of the rear passenger side door where the wire loom connects to the body halfway up the b pillar. I just pushed it in and it clicked and was secure again.

• Informative
Reactions: ArtK
Oh brother. It's clear (as Munroe stated) the team in the Fremont Factory isn't capable of assembling automobiles correctly. And Tesla doesn't do quality control before they leave the factory... they delegate that to the delivery and service centers. It's a race now to get Austin and Berlin up and running to take the load off Fremont before Lucid, Ford, Polestar, GM, and others offer legitimate alternatives.

tenor.gif

• Disagree
Reactions: Gy2020 and Reborn
I did my first car wash myself yesterday (hand wash with a nice sheepskin mitt and a DI water hose attachment). After reading this, I was sure to lock the car before washing. No leaks, no damage, no issues. I'm not sure if I'll ever go to an automated car wash with the strong brushes on the side cameras, glass roof. I could see the plastic edges on the cameras getting ripped out or the trim around the roof damaged.

Is management saying just get the cars out the door we will deal with the issues later. Or is it the employees saying we don't give a crap. Both issues can be resolved by the CEO

Yes, yes, and yes.

With the exception of China building M3, they have one factory building all models for the rest of the world. They have to crank out as many cars as possible to meet demand and they are not going to stop a steady stream of cars leaving the factory over non-catastrophic issues.

My car is a great example. Major assembly problems... paint, body, interior... returned to factory twice after turning the car away at 2 home delivery attempts. They fixed the body/paint issues in multiple buildings at the factory. Then, I had to wait 2 weeks for an appointment at the Delivery Center to fix the remaining fit/finish issues. When it’s back from there next week, I have to make another appointment at the service center for rattles, steering wheel alignment, HVAC vent issues, and frunk that’s almost impossible to close without denting the hood.

Reactions: Gy2020
I did my first car wash myself yesterday (hand wash with a nice sheepskin mitt and a DI water hose attachment). After reading this, I was sure to lock the car before washing. No leaks, no damage, no issues. I'm not sure if I'll ever go to an automated car wash with the strong brushes on the side cameras, glass roof. I could see the plastic edges on the cameras getting ripped out or the trim around the roof damaged.
Smart choice to hand wash only