Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Cybertruck from GigaTexas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford just reduced their Lighting pricing by $6,000-$10,000 depending on configuration.

Over the past few years, because of supply line disruptiona snd Covid, many auto manufacturers and their dealerships have significantly raised their prices compared to pre-covid. Believe that all those increases are about to disappear in order to maintain sales volumes.

Tesla seems to be the largest disrupter in this marketplace. Most everyone I know that is considering purchasing a new car is taking a look at the Tesla offerings.

Most of those will continue to purchase gassers, but this might be their last one.

With interest rates, fuel, utilities, rent, food, insurance and home prices continuing to increase, less and less is available for a shiney new car.

And the F-150 is above the MY….. unless you expect the Cybertruck to outsell the MY?

Fords bread and butter isnt EV’s

What is Ford worried about again?
Have you seen all the high priced Ford ice trucks on the lots?

I think the big problem for ford is they have not gone through their own production hell. They have to invest basically as much as Tesla has been and they are bleeding money because of it.

Again, why would Ford go through any of this when EV’s are just a special production vehicle for them. It’s not like they need EV’s. They will continue to make money off ICE and will eventually find a way to bring down the cost of EV’s to the point that they aren’t losing money.

In my opinion, this will start in Europe and make its way here eventually.

Again, why would Ford go through any of this when EV’s are just a special production vehicle for them. It’s not like they need EV’s. They will continue to make money off ICE and will eventually find a way to bring down the cost of EV’s to the point that they aren’t losing money.

In my opinion, this will start in Europe and make its way here eventually.

Because the model Y just became the best selling car in the world and is on such a fast trajectory this year to basically outsell everything. Ford know it needs to play catch up and there is a reason it's losing huge amounts per EV, that is the price for them to catch up.

I agree, their regular sales will/do help them transition easier, if they do it right. But right now, it's costing them dearly, ie, -60k per EV sold. And if what you say is true, why are they bothering to lose $60k per EV sold. Why not just forgo that until it magically becomes cheap? Because the production lines are expensive and will not get much cheaper, and yet they need to be made.

Reactions: preilly44
Don’t get me wrong, as a USA citizen, I want Ford to survive as well as GM
If we/USA can hold back China EVs with +17% additional tariff, that will give Ford/GM the time to optimize and lower their EV COGS
Elon and Tesla are leading the way for a new vehicle paradigm which Ford/GM have no choice but to learn from and build their own (efficient design, manuf, buying process, apps, etc)
In the USA we will pay $40K for a sedan/M3 class
$50K for SUV
$25K for a econo box
And now $60k for pickup truck
Ford and GM just need to evolve and perfect their business to match, they will survive and thrive

If we dont control Chinas vehicles arriving, they will destroy Ford and GM and Tesla will become a novelty

Let’s go USA!!!

Because the model Y just became the best selling car in the world and is on such a fast trajectory this year to basically outsell everything. Ford know it needs to play catch up and there is a reason it's losing huge amounts per EV, that is the price for them to catch up.

I agree, their regular sales will/do help them transition easier, if they do it right. But right now, it's costing them dearly, ie, -60k per EV sold. And if what you say is true, why are they bothering to lose $60k per EV sold. Why not just forgo that until it magically becomes cheap? Because the production lines are expensive and will not get much cheaper, and yet they need to be made.

Ford just wanted the title of being the first Full Size Truck to be released so to then losing money on trucks sold is not a big deal right now.

As far as the Mach-E, that is a different story.

The Model Y is the best selling in the World but not the U.S. and the F-150 is 3rd in the World

So I ask again, do you expect the CT to outsell the Model Y because that is the only way it will outsell the F-150 here in the U.S. or world wide.

The 2nd gen Lightning will make profit for Ford as it will be an EV platform built from their new EV plant. They lose now but win later.

The CT won’t outsell rhe MY, pickups are not global covering every market like CUV/SUVs
CT wont outsell Fords line of pickups as the CT will be slightly niche at the beginning and see how it delivers on specific successes
The CT has a lot to prove in its own performance and what markets it will address
I think that initially CT is a novelty like the wrangler/bronco/gladiator are
The CT has to show what environment it performs and it cannot be at the shopping mall
It has to be quality build, power, range, payload, off road, towing, and daily driving
Then overlanding once accessories arrive
We will see what buyers respond, I’m a wrangler buyer interested in the CT

Reactions: EVCollies
The CT won’t outsell rhe MY, pickups are not global covering every market like CUV/SUVs
CT wont outsell Fords line of pickups as the CT will be slightly niche at the beginning and see how it delivers on specific successes
The CT has a lot to prove in its own performance and what markets it will address
I think that initially CT is a novelty like the wrangler/bronco/gladiator are
The CT has to show what environment it performs and it cannot be at the shopping mall
It has to be quality build, power, range, payload, off road, towing, and daily driving
Then overlanding once accessories arrive
We will see what buyers respond, I’m a wrangler buyer interested in the CT
Overall I agree.

We will see how much development Tesla puts into off-roading compared to Rivian. There's always been those who say that air suspension is not adequate for off-roading, but it seems the Rivian is fine and while there are drawbacks, like lack of hill assist/descent, many seem to like it.

Wont be easy for Tesla CT to prove its self in extreme off-road
True wrangler/bronco success on Moab Rubicon trails are specific use cases that typically are addressed by after market accessories
But the stock top models of wrangler and bronco can enter and drive these trails, but not the extremes
For CT to truly compete in this specific market will take time
Think the CT will do well to a more light off roader and dune runner like me, way less extreme

Ford just wanted the title of being the first Full Size Truck to be released so to then losing money on trucks sold is not a big deal right now.

As far as the Mach-E, that is a different story.

The Model Y is the best selling in the World but not the U.S. and the F-150 is 3rd in the World

So I ask again, do you expect the CT to outsell the Model Y because that is the only way it will outsell the F-150 here in the U.S. or world wide.

The 2nd gen Lightning will make profit for Ford as it will be an EV platform built from their new EV plant. They lose now but win later.

Trajectory. Ford f150 will not be best seller this year. Model Y will outsell it. They/ford need to compete and invest in the ev production line. That is why they lose 60k per ev. If you think PRODUCTION lines will get cheaper over time, fine, we can agree to disagree. But the 60k loss per vehicle contradicts your belief.

I do not think the CT will outsell the F150, nor will the f150 lightening outsell other f150 variants. That will not happen in 2024. 2025 likely not as well, but will depend in large part on the marketplaces reaction to the CT. Your speculation on the lightening is Not an unreasonable speculation. I personally love the CT but get that it’s polarizing and opens the door for others in the space.

Reactions: cusetownusa
It’s a friendly here
I am different from you, not a traditional pickup or truck buyer
I’ve had landcruisers and wranglers for 30 years
Now very curious about the CT
Like I did for my Ts, research, multiple demo drives, talk to owners, and then made the jump
It will be a while for me watching and experiencing the CT before I make or not make the decision

Every new market Elon enters, he disrupts
It’s fascinating
And this is the first time for me in the pickup market... Has taken much convincing for my partner to consider this as an alternative to our large SUV for road trips but if our bikes fit in bed protected from road damage and with the lowering tailgate for the collies to walk right in, I can see one in our garage next year (number 53,000 according to Tesla Tracking for my trim).

I know this will not be a competitor for many MY purchasers, but how about all those Suburbans (yep, had two of those) or largish station wagons (had three of those). Where I live, you cannot drive more than a block without seeing an SUV loaded with skis, bikes, paddle boards or kayaks (depending on the season). All of those could be more easily handled with a Cybertruck.