Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Ever NACS Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might be misreading, are you saying simultaneous AC and DC charge on a NACS plug? If the idea is to charge faster the site should have bigger transformers/rectifiers to output more DC.
I was off on a sidetrack saying that it could have been a useful possibility on CCS as the pins are separate. We now re-join our regularly scheduled topic, already in progress.

Native billing integration will take some work but at magic dock sites charging is all handled through the app, so in theory Tesla could silently flip the switch whenever they wanted.
It will be curious to see if and how Tesla limits non-Tesla charging through the adapters when it rolls out next year if charging is controlled by the Tesla app and not via plug and charge within the car.

If it’s just a pass through CCS adapter and charging is controlled via Tesla app, there’s theoretically nothing stopping any CCS car from charging, not just the companies that entered into the agreement with Tesla.

I was off on a sidetrack saying that it could have been a useful possibility on CCS as the pins are separate. We now re-join our regularly scheduled topic, already in progress.
Regarding this sidetrack, I'd argue that in most cases it would be better to just offer slightly higher DC power rather than supplementing it with AC, though it could be interesting as a pass-through power supply for the vehicles that have 240V AC outlets, or a fallback mode for a vehicle that can't handle DC fast charging or if there's an equipment failure. Oh well, I guess it's a moot point now either way.

It will be curious to see if and how Tesla limits non-Tesla charging through the adapters when it rolls out next year if charging is controlled by the Tesla app and not via plug and charge within the car.

If it’s just a pass through CCS adapter and charging is controlled via Tesla app, there’s theoretically nothing stopping any CCS car from charging, not just the companies that entered into the agreement with Tesla.
Tesla may choose to allow other vehicles if they sign up for a month membership or pay a higher per kw rate. It's also possible that most of the agreement is centered around plug to charge billing integration and knowledge transfer of how to best implement NACS.

Not sure what you mean by DC tolerant. The Tesla chargers aren't DC tolerant, there's relays in front of them that direct the power to either the battery or the chargers depending on what the handshake signal indicated was connected.
You are wrong. The charge port on a Tesla connects directly to the AC charger, all the time, even when Supercharging. The contactors you are hearing is just hooking the HV battery to the charge port, in additiona to the already connected on-board charger.

Tesla has a document on the AC/DC sharing the pins: https://tesla-cdn.thron.com/static/...ging-Standard-AC-DC-Pin-Sharing-Appendix.pdf"

They even show where the contactors are:

1689365611423.png

Notice that the input/output of the on-board charger is never disconnected from the charge port or HV battery.

So the on-board charging has to be able to tolerate the ~500v DC connected to the AC input without anything blowing up.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and APotatoGod
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and KJD
That’s not the official Tesla adapter. It remains to be seen if the official Tesla adapter has any special electronics inside to communicate with the Superchargers or if it’s just a passive pass through device.
A2Z seems pretty confident it’ll work. I’ve got one on order for my Rivian. We should know in about a month when Ford comes online.

Didn't a couple of the charging companies announce policies that you were only allowed to use adapters supplied by the car manufacturer?
I realize a few charging companies are starting to install NACS plugs but for the foreseeable future I would only be concerned with Tesla’s policy since their’s is the only network I’m interested in using. Their’s and Rivian’s since I hope to charge my R1T on the Tesla network.

Reactions: Cosmacelf and KJD
A2Z seems pretty confident it’ll work. I’ve got one on order for my Rivian. We should know in about a month when Ford comes online.
There's a big part missing. On some V4 pedestals, there's the ability to accept credit card information. On the other pedestals, there isn't

So how does the device authenticate to Tesla, like Teslas do? It's little details like that which are missing.

There's a big part missing. On some V4 pedestals, there's the ability to accept credit card information. On the other pedestals, there isn't

So how does the device authenticate to Tesla, like Teslas do? It's little details like that which are missing.

The primary method of authentication is through the Tesla app via the Charge Your Non-Tesla section. Other automakers (Ford, for example), will integrate this functionality into their own apps. I presume V4 stations with active credit card readers (NFC only, from what I can tell) will handle everything through the charging post itself, no app required.

Reactions: davewill

I thought it was already covered that non-Tesla owners could pay through the Tesla app on their phone. The real question is whether you can do so currently when using your own adapter and not the Magic Dock.

On a slightly separate note, I just saw that Ford announced that you would be able to plug and charge without having to use the Tesla app in the future.

Reactions: Cosmacelf