Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Ever NACS Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has started. Guess these will be quite popular. Montreal's A2Z EV develops first NACS adapter

I would urge extreme caution before buying something like this. As we all know the CCS system has separate pins for AC and DC charging. That's one of the reasons it's so much larger than the NACS plug.

In the article it says
The adapter, which has already been tested and is ready for use, combines AC/DC functionality in a single device, simplifying the charging process for EV owners.

Oh Really. How does this work??? Does it energize the AC pins and the DC pins at the same time. The adapter does not look big enough to contain a switching device inside.

This adapter looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.

Reactions: MP3Mike
So you can use it when you're not supercharging. This would also replace any adapter currently being used to connect a J1772 car to a Tesla UMC or HPWC. Nice.
From the little that I read on the site, it indicated that it was for Supercharging. And with that said, that would suggest that the relays needed to switch from DC to AC charging aren't in the adapter. Which, since those relays are pretty big, makes sense.

I doubt if it supports AC charging.

Reactions: israndy and Rocky_H
From the render/photo the AC power pins on the J1772 portion are populated with metal contacts. That would imply this is intended to work for AC as well. For someone that knows more than me, are we over thinking this? Are all On Board Chargers already DC tolerant (like in a Tesla) in every production EV due to safety regs and applying 400 VDC to the OBC is already safe?

From the render/photo the AC power pins on the J1772 portion are populated with metal contacts. That would imply this is intended to work for AC as well. For someone that knows more than me, are we over thinking this? Are all On Board Chargers already DC tolerant (like in a Tesla) in every production EV due to safety regs and applying 400 VDC to the OBC is already safe?
Or maybe they are populated to make the plug fit and hold as required.

Not sure what you mean by DC tolerant. The Tesla chargers aren't DC tolerant, there's relays in front of them that direct the power to either the battery or the chargers depending on what the handshake signal indicated was connected. That's the big kerchunk when connecting to Superchargers and the little kerchunk when connecting to AC charging.

And in other cars, they are on different pins and still isolated by relays.

That article did claim the adapter does AC/DC. I don’t understand why, Supercharger access is what the other mfgs were after, I doubt home charging was much of a factor in their decision to go with NACS over CCS.
As pointed out, the high current relays would be far too big to fit in the adapter, it would take some other voodoo.

Oh Really. How does this work??? Does it energize the AC pins and the DC pins at the same time. The adapter does not look big enough to contain a switching device inside.

This adapter looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.
It looks big enough for relays to disconnect the AC pins. That being said, I would expect both the AC system in the car to have relays and cable rated for 1000V., so it might not even matter if DC voltage was present on the AC pins.

That does get me thinking though that CCS had a missed opportunity, where they could have made small (20-30kW) DCFCs that also supplied 208V AC to the internal charger. Even if the two DC sources couldn't be bridged directly, it would be useful for an aux heater for cabin and battery warming in cold climates.

This adapter doesn’t mean anything unless Tesla fully opens up the network to all EVs. Otherwise other EVs have no way to activate the charging session.

The manufacturers that have agreed to switch to NACS have all said they would be providing an adapter made by Tesla for current CCS car owners but they still need to implement the software side on the cars to be able to charge.

I guess maybe this can be a replacement if owners break the original Tesla/OEM supplied adapter in the future?

If you are already DC fast charging, even at 20 kW, what is the point of a simultaneous AC connection? In modern EVs, the heating (battery and cabin), and other aux system are all either wired directly to the HV or to the 12V system (so off the HV battery through the DC-DC converter). Aux systems that are not ever powered by the car but just shore power is just dead weight and complexity most of the time. Not likely a good engineering solution. Though to be fair, I have thought about the possibility of making an aftermarket battery heating mat that could warm my Model 3 battery in the winter. Not sure I would want it built in though.

This adapter doesn’t mean anything unless Tesla fully opens up the network to all EVs. Otherwise other EVs have no way to activate the charging session.

The manufacturers that have agreed to switch to NACS have all said they would be providing an adapter made by Tesla for current CCS car owners but they still need to implement the software side on the cars to be able to charge.

I guess maybe this can be a replacement if owners break the original Tesla/OEM supplied adapter in the future?
Native billing integration will take some work but at magic dock sites charging is all handled through the app, so in theory Tesla could silently flip the switch whenever they wanted.

If you are already DC fast charging, even at 20 kW, what is the point of a simultaneous AC connection?
It would be something a small service station in a remote area could install a few of. An extra extra 47km/h of range (or more for 48A chargers) is pretty significant on a low power DCFC, plus even if the DC part of the charger fails, you do have the AC backup built right in.

It would be something a small service station in a remote area could install a few of. An extra extra 47km/h of range (or more for 48A chargers) is pretty significant on a low power DCFC, plus even if the DC part of the charger fails, you do have the AC backup built right in.
I might be misreading, are you saying simultaneous AC and DC charge on a NACS plug? If the idea is to charge faster the site should have bigger transformers/rectifiers to output more DC.

Reactions: APotatoGod