Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Impressions: RB Performance Brakes Big Brake Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my first upgrade to my plaid was changing to aftermarket wheels, but next and equally important to me was a brake upgrade. For the Model S Plaid there are several options, from simple pad and brake line swaps to much larger carbon ceramic discs and caliper kits (including the one sold by Tesla). My goal was to obtain the biggest upgrade in brake performance without spending huge amounts of money. I dismissed all the kits that didn’t increase rotor size, as I don’t believe you can cheat physics and with the weight of the model S, larger brakes seemed to be a necessity. A second consideration was they larger brakes needed to fit under my 20” after market wheels. This narrowed the field slightly, and after some research I ended up selecting the RB Brake OE Caliper Big Brake Kit with 410/390 rotors. Here is a link: Save 10% on OE Caliper BBK (410/390) for Tesla S Plaid Front and Rear (P/N 2681 & 2643)

The kit provides roughly 1.25” larger diameter 2-piece front and rear rotors, caliper spacers and mounting brackets, as well as new larger street compound pads (to take advantage of the now larger swept area). Everything is bolt on, and if you are familiar with the basics of a brake pad change you can do the install yourself. No brake bleeding or fluid changing is required. I’ve attached pics I took during the install, and a couple pics from after break in. The new rotors look so much larger and more modern, while at the same time save weight and offer superior cooling. For those interested in saving more weight, a switch to one of the carbon ceramic brake kits should provide additional weight savings.

Driving Impressions: Brakes are smooth and as quiet as factory in normal driving with no squeal, vibration, chatter or grabiness. Under moderate or more severe braking, much less pedal effort is required to stop from higher speeds and braking confidence is much improved. In street driving, I have not experienced any fade even after repeated stops. Overall, I am very pleased with both the appearance and capability of the system, as well as the quality of the components and the value or “bang for the buck” quotient.

For those of us in SoCal, RB Performance Brakes is local, and I was able to pick up my kit in person to save shipping. While there, I got a chance to see their facility, and I can say it is first rate. I got to see their carbon ceramic discs, which were amazing and much more substantial than Brembo or other carbon ceramic brakes I have seen. There were kits being shipped for all the high-end makes, and it immediately made me more comfortable and confident that I had found the right choice for my Tesla Plaid. Hope this info helps anyone looking to make a brake upgrade.

Attachments

• IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1106.JPG
    421.5 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_1116.JPG
    IMG_1116.JPG
    406.8 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_1117.JPG
    IMG_1117.JPG
    633.5 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    489.6 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_1114.JPG
    IMG_1114.JPG
    496.9 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_1118.JPG
    IMG_1118.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 413
Thanks! I am torn between that setup and the unplugged performance ones.
While Unplugged are not technically larger in overall diameter, the actual swept area is larger. They come with larger surface area front and rear pads.

I prefer the RB fronts, but don't like that the 390 RB rears still use the factory size brake pad. More rotational mass but no additional contact being made....

If RB ever comes out with a larger rear pad, they will win me over for sure, but for now I go back and forth.

A larger swept area rotor can increase the thermal capacity but it does not improve the braking performance or lowing the braking temperature unless a comparable deeper pad (with larger lining area) is used together. However a larger diameter rotor (assume with the same size & compound on the brake pad) can increase the brake torque due to the longer torque arm - Resulting less effort for the same brake task.

The newer Tesla (2017+) started incorporating ePB (Electronic parking brake) mainly for weight and cost saving therefore it's impossible to change the pad size unless the rear caliper is replaced and/or parking brake functionality is deleted.

Rear ePB has become the main stream since however, notably some of the more "track oriented" new models like BMW M3, Porsche 911 GT3, Camaro G6 are still keeping the rear drum brakes for emergency braking (on tracks).

• Informative
Reactions: NarTaX
What a larger pad means?

tesla-front-pads1.JPG

OE / RB Stock Replacement / RB larger (65mm depth) pad+.

Note the size difference among 3 of them. All RB pads are equipped with a "mechanical wear sensor*" (the metal clip in the middle or side) like OE unlike other aftermarket pad suppliers simply skip it.

Pads are imprinted with P/N, Compound Code, and Date Code for installation tracing, and all RB compounds are "Copper Free"

+A larger surface pad means less hydraulic pressure is required for the same amount of brake work, therefore can keep the the braking temperature cooler and therefore reduce pad & rotor wear, prolong the life of brake components.

* It's a simple device (vs. electronic type) that will generate a scrapping noise when the pad lining material is worn down to a point where the metal clip touches the rotor surface to provide you an audible warning "time to replace" the pad.

Reactions: The Duke
So my first upgrade to my plaid was changing to aftermarket wheels, but next and equally important to me was a brake upgrade. For the Model S Plaid there are several options, from simple pad and brake line swaps to much larger carbon ceramic discs and caliper kits (including the one sold by Tesla). My goal was to obtain the biggest upgrade in brake performance without spending huge amounts of money. I dismissed all the kits that didn’t increase rotor size, as I don’t believe you can cheat physics and with the weight of the model S, larger brakes seemed to be a necessity. A second consideration was they larger brakes needed to fit under my 20” after market wheels. This narrowed the field slightly, and after some research I ended up selecting the RB Brake OE Caliper Big Brake Kit with 410/390 rotors. Here is a link: Save 10% on OE Caliper BBK (410/390) for Tesla S Plaid Front and Rear (P/N 2681 & 2643)

The kit provides roughly 1.25” larger diameter 2-piece front and rear rotors, caliper spacers and mounting brackets, as well as new larger street compound pads (to take advantage of the now larger swept area). Everything is bolt on, and if you are familiar with the basics of a brake pad change you can do the install yourself. No brake bleeding or fluid changing is required. I’ve attached pics I took during the install, and a couple pics from after break in. The new rotors look so much larger and more modern, while at the same time save weight and offer superior cooling. For those interested in saving more weight, a switch to one of the carbon ceramic brake kits should provide additional weight savings.

Driving Impressions: Brakes are smooth and as quiet as factory in normal driving with no squeal, vibration, chatter or grabiness. Under moderate or more severe braking, much less pedal effort is required to stop from higher speeds and braking confidence is much improved. In street driving, I have not experienced any fade even after repeated stops. Overall, I am very pleased with both the appearance and capability of the system, as well as the quality of the components and the value or “bang for the buck” quotient.

For those of us in SoCal, RB Performance Brakes is local, and I was able to pick up my kit in person to save shipping. While there, I got a chance to see their facility, and I can say it is first rate. I got to see their carbon ceramic discs, which were amazing and much more substantial than Brembo or other carbon ceramic brakes I have seen. There were kits being shipped for all the high-end makes, and it immediately made me more comfortable and confident that I had found the right choice for my Tesla Plaid. Hope this info helps anyone looking to make a brake upgrade.
Hi, Great review. How are the brakes holding up now given it's been a while? How is the pedal feel after repeated aggressive stops? The OEM ones are good and great great only sometimes; consistency is lacking.

I am also looking to upgrade my brakes on my X Plaid. Thanks.

FYI, if you have a 1st generation S (12-21), and are looking for a BBK, here's what I did. Not as many options for us oldies, but this is a great kit:

How's this working out? Just picked up a 21 S and want better brakes for sure. Thanks

I had a set on my model 3 and ruined the rotors on the street, not even driving hard.

Someone else here disintegrated their rotors on a model S. Their pics were impressive.

I would personally recommend the MPP, unplugged, or a Girodisc (what MPP uses) setup.

I had a set on my model 3 and ruined the rotors on the street, not even driving hard.

Someone else here disintegrated their rotors on a model S. Their pics were impressive.

I would personally recommend the MPP, unplugged, or a Girodisc (what MPP uses) setup.
Perfect thanks for the info, i feel if i do it will be the Unplugged big kit with 6 piston calipers & hoses.

Thank you

Reactions: Sam1