Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First impressions: Y vs Macan S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it up for debate that Teslas are generally noisier than their ICE equivalents at similar (and often lower) price points? I thought that was WELL publicized on this very forum (and for me, in real life).

The Model 3 forum is rife with posts. As an example:
My biggest improvement with road noise
Wind/road noise from doors/windows -- fix it for good
Noise reduction rear areas
Sound Deadening Model 3

The noise at freeway speeds for most modern cars is tire and wind related...not engine. Indeed, when you let off the gas on a modern car and "coast" the fuel actually stops flowing through the injectors I believe and the engine essentially "pumps" but nothing is firing (which is why you see those "instant mileage" trip computer readouts go to infinity on gas cars).

As to the upcoming Mustang, you are correct, I haven't driven it so I obviously don't know it it will be quieter, but I suspect Ford won't have suddenly forgotten how to insulate a car, weatherstrip a windshield or put better door seals in place just because it is electric.

Go watch Munro & Associates teardown of the Y. Lots of engineering differences. One he noted was the use of more sound deadening materials and different seals. Though they share a lot of the same parts, the Y was done better based on his engineering teardown.

Munro also notes how Tesla does running changes as opposed to batch changes which all the legacy OEM’s still use. Those sound complaints on the 3 may have already been resolved by now, or may soon be resolved.

Go watch Munro & Associates teardown of the Y. Lots of engineering differences. One he noted was the use of more sound deadening materials and different seals. Though they share a lot of the same parts, the Y was done better based on his engineering teardown.

Munro also notes how Tesla does running changes as opposed to batch changes which all the legacy OEM’s still use. Those sound complaints on the 3 may have already been resolved by now, or may soon be resolved.

My biggest hope from that involves the rear casting. That larger piece may help quell some of the chassis NVH that these cars have. The Model Ses aren't immune either, but the air suspension helps to isolate it a bit more.

Reactions: polyphonic54
Model Y is the smaller and more nimble of Tesla SUVs. They ride and handle between the Model 3 and Model X.

The Model X has the air suspension and much quieter ride.

Macan is a pretty good handling and driving SUV. What it lacks is self driving, instant throttle response and no polluting exhaust.

People that are used to the Macan will probably feel more at home with getting a new Macan to replace it.
People used to the power, less maintenance and clean driving will feel more at home with another EV.

Dirty little secret of the Macan is that while it feels pretty nimble and well handling within about 80% of it's maximum cornering limits, it pretty much falls apart when pushed beyond that 80%. Also rolls over much easier than the Model Y and not sure it passes the Moose Test.

Yep, that's my thoughts. I'm sure I would love the Macan but it's still a polluting ICE vehicle that is going to put fumes in your garage and neighborhood and won't have the instant torque of the Y. I am disappointed that several that have driven both the Macan and Y say the Macan handles better considering the low Cg in the Y.

We will keep our Jeep GC Summit in case the noise and ride make the Y not as pleasant on road trips.

I watched all of Sandy Munro’s 35+ MY videos. He’s a terrible speaker. But he really knows what he’s talking about (former head of QC at Ford). His top 5 MY likes:
  1. Exterior body fit and finish is much better than M3. He also said chrome delete was a very environmentally friendly thing to do.
  2. He loved the body integrity and better welds which eliminated 80 parts on MY.
  3. He liked the new induction motor on MY which uses aluminum instead of copper.
  4. Weight reduction and aerodynamics.
  5. He liked that they didn’t change the electronics bay from M3 but they did add the octovalve and heat pump for more efficiency... Can’t remember all of his dislikes but he hates the paint. He said there’s dirt in it and that Tesla has lots to improve in that area.

Perhaps the OP is just caught up with the Porsche-ness of the Macan.

Fantacy that it handles like the vaunted 911.

Interesting that the RWD is closer to the 911 design with the low mounted rear motor and rear drive. Macan is the polar opposite (pun intended)

If the Y is close to the M3, I think t'll be more fun to drive than the Macan (for me). I've had 2 Porsche sports cars, a Cayenne S e-Hybrid, and a plethora of Macan loaner vehicles and none of them excited me as much as the M3 when I drove it.

After driving a slow, sloppy (in comparison) suv for the last few years I can't wait.

Porsche is still using Apple Car Play as the main infotainment interface. It's really outdated.

The navigation from Porsche feels like early day of TomTom or Garmin. Not as responsive as Tesla built-in navigation (and it doesn't update over the air). The adaptive cruise control and lane assist feels pretty ancient comparing to TACC.

The interior and exterior do look nice on Macan but I would not trade my Model Y for Macan. Macan also feels quite a bit sluggish comparing to my model Y performance. Model Y just feels much more practical to me in terms of functionality and performance. I can take my family for a road trip or take it to a drag race on the same car.

I'd also be very curious to see an actual decibal noise test in a Macan (or other similar ICE). I have read several people saying that they think the Model Y has a lot more road noise, however I wonder how much of that is simply because in an ICE some of the road noise is lost in the white noise of the engine, and it may not actually be as much quieter as they think, they're just able to hear more from the road in the Model Y...
You know there IS an app for that!

What is the configuration of the OPs MY?

Stealth Performance.

Further update after more miles with the Y: Well, I must say that the Y is hard to beat. The ability to control its speed, acceleration and deceleration make it a joy to drive and really changes the driver experience (I love one peddle driving). With more miles, I can also say that the handling is quite good, I assume due to the low center of weight. As compared to the Macan S w/ air suspension, the ride is a bit rougher and the interior has a few more creaks and such (which I'm trying to get Tesla to remove), but there is no going back for me.

I would have loved to go the Porsche route but as any German automaker, they nickel and dime you for EVERY option, plus in order to be competitively fast, you have HAVE to opt for the Turbo option which already puts it 84k+ starting, add options and you're already in Model X P100D territory.

I do think it will be interesting on what happens with an EV Macan but has to be priced correctly to compete with Tesla buyers.

Just my 2 cents.

any German automaker, they nickel and dime you for EVERY option

Tesla making you pay $7000 ($8000 soon) for FSD which is nowhere nearly completed (likely won't even be with the current hw) doesn't look too good in that regard. I'm pretty sure every one of those options German automakers charge for, are tested and designed properly and work as advertised.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
I'm pretty sure every one of those options German automakers charge for, are tested and designed properly and work as advertised.
I would not count on that... I had auto steering on my 2018 BMW X3 m40i, and it was borderline unusable. Only place where I felt ok to use it was at fairly straight freeways with light traffic.

Also, in comparison, I had around $10K of options on it, the Y has almost all of the options as standard. Most notable exceptions heated steering wheel and adaptive suspension (and leather seats but I'm happy with the non-leather Tesla seats, these are much better than the BMW basic seats).

BTW: agreed that $8K is getting too high for FSD, I paid $6K and thought that was already on the high side.

Last edited:
Tesla making you pay $7000 ($8000 soon) for FSD which is nowhere nearly completed (likely won't even be with the current hw) doesn't look too good in that regard. I'm pretty sure every one of those options German automakers charge for, are tested and designed properly and work as advertised.

Yeah wife insisted on the FSD and it's not there yet. I see it as we are paying Tesla to improve it and then give it to us.

After having the Y for a few days, I couldn't go back to any of the ICE products, even the Macan is going to have too many things not up to par with what the Y delivers. Yes there are some compromises and things needing improvement but the pros are so fantastic that I can live with them.

I would not count on that... I had auto steering on my 2018 BMW X3 m40i, and it was borderline unusable. Only place where I felt ok to use it was at fairly straight freeways with light traffic.

Also, in comparison, I had around $10K of options on it, the Y has almost all of the options as standard. Most notable exceptions heated steering wheel and adaptive suspension (and leather seats but I'm happy with the non-leather Tesla seats, these are much better than the BMW basic seats).

BTW: agreed that $8K is getting too high for FSD, I paid $6K and thought that was already on the high side.
I too agree that 7k-8k is pretty steep for FSD. However, I see FSD improving fairly consistently and dramatically in the last year and even in the last couple of months. So they are definitely updating it regularly. I would not be surprised if in a year it is twice as good as it is now. I have seen youtube videos where the driver tests FSD on the same routes and he has noted markedly improved performance since the year before. Time will tell of course. FWIW, I ordered my MY with FSD (to be a guinea pig, help improve it for the masses and also for the self auto summon party tricks).