Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First issue, or is it? Wind whistle ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
Hi all!

It’s a month old now, and maybe I have my first issue, or maybe not ...

Does anyone have a wind whistle coming from somewhere around the driver’s side mirror? Sounds like a bird chirping.

It’s not the window - it’s audible with the window rolled all the way down.

I had a service advisor (they had someone designated as a noise and vibration expert) look at it, and they said it’s normal and due to the aerodynamic shape of the vehicle .... but I’m just not sure about that. It’s pretty pronounced, especially on a windy day.

Anyone else have this? It’s not a huge deal if it is normal, but if not, I’d like to get it addressed. Looking for a second opinion.

I’m traveling today but will try to get a video of the sound tomorrow - kinda hard to capture with a phone microphone. I have a better one for the GoPro at home so we’ll try that once I’m back.

Thanks!

Look at the mirror closely, look for any misalignment, or any pieces of the plastic sticking into the airflow. Also look at that black plastic triangle part to see if the tip is sticking out alot. Others have mentioned pieces of the mirror not completely snapped into place. Doesn't sound like that should be the issue since a NVH expert supposedly looked at it, but you never know. And, if you find any spots that you think might be contributing to the sound, put a piece of painter's tape over it, and drive it to see if that helps. If it helps, then you know it's the trouble spot.