Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First real snow/slippery road experience - observations...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
enhance

Just got home from an hour's drive on some slippery, slush/snow covered roads. After 20 years of driving Audis with quattro AWD, a few observations about my Model 3 Performance, currently running Michelin Pilot Alpin tires in the OEM 20" size:
  • First thing I noticed is that the car feels much more stable in these conditions with acceleration set to "Chill" and regen set to "Low". Otherwise, quick wheelspin in stop and go traffic (though reined in quickly by the stability control) and momentary loss of traction when transitioning to regenerative braking. Maybe not that surprising, but in contrast to the "set and forget" Audis, takes a couple of extra screen taps and a bit more concentration.
  • The wipers, set to "Automatic", still required several button taps to maintain reasonable visibility in between automatic swipes in the falling snow. Not surprising, based on what others have experienced.
  • Powering out of a corner, the tail will step out slightly - not enough to be troublesome, but still a contrast to the nose-heavy Audis that understeer gently in those scenarios.
  • Seat heaters work really well, as do the front and rear defrosters
  • Acceleration in "Chill" mode (this was my first extended drive in that mode) is slow. Well, not really slow I guess, but by comparison with Sport - HUGE difference.
  • Just like on dry pavement, the car tracks really well, even when changing lanes through slush.
  • The tires do their thing of maintaining good traction in these conditions while still being capable/playful when the roads are dry (which even in winter in Chicago is 90% of the time after all)
  • Have I mentioned how much I love this car?? No?? I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!! :)

My Alpins make a howling warble noise above 60 mph on smooth asphalt. Not so much on concrete. Do yours?
Same here (winter PA4) in Detroit area. Like the tires but do notice more road noise with them vs. pilot sports. May switch to 18" next season and see if that makes a diff. Otherwise have had no problems with tires even on 1200mi roundtrip through some icing conditions.

Nice report. I created a separate driver profile called “Snow”, which mirrors most of my normal settings, but has Chill, Low regen, and non-auto fold mirrors.

Definitely do this for snow! I found that even if I started from my profile as the template, not all the settings mirrorer across (odd) - though most did. But you just quickly go through the screens and make sure everything is good.

In chill mode, the 0-60 time is 7.1seconds or so. No slouch.

I've been driving on the 20" Alpins this winter in Colorado as well.. I've been going through snowy conditions in the mountains and it's been a pretty safe experience. I don't think the Alpins have quite the grip that the Michelin XI3 have on the Model S, but that's also a heavier car. You could probably get a better winter driving experience on a smaller tire/wheel set that isn't low profile. On the plus side, dry pavement driving is so much better on the Alpin than the XI3.

Reactions: StealthP3D and Zcd1