Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road Trip - Arlington, VA to Rehoboth Beach, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the Model S for just over a month now, and I really wanted to test its "legs". I jumped in the car with my 12-year-old for an old-fashioned road trip. Our first leg was a short side-trip up Rock Creek Park to Chevy Chase. From there, we headed out to Rehoboth Beach, DE.

I did my first range charge before leaving and was pleasantly surprised to see 270 rated miles. As some of you may know, the terrain heading out to the beach is pretty flat, and the roads aren't nearly as fast as an Interstate Highway. I took advantage of that and the good weather (sunny, clear, 60's). I kept the speed down -- it was mostly 50 with some 55 and some slower legs through the towns.

As we were leaving for our return, we had 142 miles of rated range, and 128 miles to travel. Normally, that would have made me anxious, but I had already seen on the trip there we could beat (slightly) the Model S estimates, so be headed out. (And, we did have some potential charging spots on Recargo in case things didn't pan out.)

We ended up driving 273 miles and had 20 miles of range left over when we arrived home. Average Wh/mi was 260. Great drive -- no range anxiety. I'm looking forward to the next road trip (as is my son).

I've had the Model S for just over a month now, and I really wanted to test its "legs". I jumped in the car with my 12-year-old for an old-fashioned road trip. Our first leg was a short side-trip up Rock Creek Park to Chevy Chase. From there, we headed out to Rehoboth Beach, DE.

We ended up driving 273 miles and had 20 miles of range left over when we arrived home. Average Wh/mi was 260. Great drive -- no range anxiety. I'm looking forward to the next road trip (as is my son).

Awesome! :-D I love reading success stories like this.

My first trip was on interstates and I drive like a maniac, so we needed a charge (one way was a bit longer than your trip), but it went well and I got better mileage than expected. I'm looking forward to my next road trip in the Model S, too. ;-)