Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First significant problem with LR AWD after 2 years and 28k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished spraying rodent deterrent around my parking space and inside the frunk battery access compartment and wheel wells. I've got my mouse traps baited and waiting (and working). It's an outside, covered but not enclosed space.
I've had issues with mice before with my other cars, I see no reason to not expect them with my MY. Made it through last winter under this regime.

To be honest, I'm puzzled and very disappointed that I have to shelve out $2k + for a car that just sat at parking over the weekend and was just running fine until the day before. I can't accept or comprehend that it's a 'hardware' failure that 'magically' happened without any warnings. I see several owners reporting exact alerts/warnings showing up on the screen since April this year, so this problem is not unique to one specific car or few cars. Lots of Teslas seem to have exact failures in the last 6 months and it can't be a coincidence. I feel that Tesla is not being honest and transparent on this. I feel that they're avoiding a recall situation and fixing their problems at the expense of customers. In my case the parts (rear drive unit and 12v battery) is ~$300 and the labor for 9 hours is $1800. It's a rip off in my opinion. Please tell me if I'm wrong in my observations. I'm not alone on this.
You're posting this in the Model 3 forum. If you want to get responses from people who are more likely to know something about your problem, you should post in the Model S forum. I haven't seen "several owners reporting exact alerts/warnings showing up on the screen since April this year" in the Model 3 forum, nor have I seen where "Lots of Teslas seem to have exact failures in the last 6 months and it can't be a coincidence." I don't know where you're getting your information from, but it doesn't seem to be an issue with Model 3s.

Also, you state that you have a 2012 Model S P85. I don't know how many miles you have on it, but your car is nearly 10 years old. It's certainly not unusual for a 10 year old car to require some moderately expensive repairs or maintenance. Judging by the parts cost of $300 for a "rear drive unit and 12v battery", it would seem that you're getting the rear drive unit for free, since I'm sure that a new drive unit costs thousands of dollars. This strikes me as exceedingly generous on Tesla's part since you are 2 years out of warranty and it is anything but a ripoff.

You're posting this in the Model 3 forum. If you want to get responses from people who are more likely to know something about your problem, you should post in the Model S forum. I haven't seen "several owners reporting exact alerts/warnings showing up on the screen since April this year" in the Model 3 forum, nor have I seen where "Lots of Teslas seem to have exact failures in the last 6 months and it can't be a coincidence." I don't know where you're getting your information from, but it doesn't seem to be an issue with Model 3s.

Also, you state that you have a 2012 Model S P85. I don't know how many miles you have on it, but your car is nearly 10 years old. It's certainly not unusual for a 10 year old car to require some moderately expensive repairs or maintenance. Judging by the parts cost of $300 for a "rear drive unit and 12v battery", it would seem that you're getting the rear drive unit for free, since I'm sure that a new drive unit costs thousands of dollars. This strikes me as exceedingly generous on Tesla's part since you are 2 years out of warranty and it is anything but a ripoff.
My bad, I noticed it's Model 3 only after posting my message as I saw similar warning messages that I experienced in my Model S. My apologies. Just to clarify, I bought it as CPO with only 3k miles from Tesla in 2015 December, so I've been driving it for nearly 6 years and have put only 52k miles in total. I noticed several posts of owners dated as old as in April this year in this Forum (Model S category) with exact warning messages. And I just received a message from the service center that the final bill is $9k that includes $6k for the rear drive unit replacement. Anyways, I will not post anything further here. Thank you. Regret the inconveniences caused.

Not looking forward to this happening to me. My other cars have had similar/different issues with birds/squirrels/mice intrusions.

Tesla has eliminated one issue I had, there's no carburetor for the creatures to nest in! I've very successfully put mouse traps in my other car, but that only handles the buggers that get inside and chew on the air filter and seat cushions. The rest of the car I think they see as a smorgasbord on wheels.

Any ideas?
Maybe you should move to a more urban setting😁