Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First thing to do in you new model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't the rated miles updated as you drive?

Depends on what you mean, but in the sense I think you mean, no.

It is not affected by driving conditions or driving style or anything like that. It's just a measure of the energy left in your battery. (And then % is derived by dividing that remaining energy by what the system thinks would be available with a full charge.)

EDIT: Literally, of course, the rated miles remaining are "updated" as you drive. But they will also be updated as you are not driving, if you are sitting in park with the heat on, for example. It's just the energy you have left.

I actually think battery percentage is meaningless. I don't care what % my battery is at, I want to know how far I can go before I need to stop and charge.

then you really need to look at the energy tab

it will give you a much more accurate range based on your last 5/15/30 miles consumption

the nav also works really well. at least for me

Reactions: JeffK
Depends on what you mean, but in the sense I think you mean, no.

It is not affected by driving conditions or driving style or anything like that. It's just a measure of the energy left in your battery. (And then % is derived by dividing that remaining energy by what the system thinks would be available with a full charge.)
I guess with my driving style the estimated range and average range is pretty close so I couldn't tell if the rated range took into account conditions and driving style.

It shows a battery, I just like the numerical percentage instead of the fake miles (unachievable through normal driving).

If your battery displayed 50% and it’s 0F out with heat blasting and the Energy graph says you have 100 miles range at your current run rate, What does 50% mean any more than what 155 miles means? I think the miles provide more data that you can adjust in your head than %.

Even in an ICE Vehicle when I’m low on gas I much prefer see 55 miles to empty than a needle a little past E or it saying 10%. Even if I’m not getting EPA mileage.

If your battery displayed 50% and it’s 0F out with heat blasting and the Energy graph says you have 100 miles range at your current run rate, What does 50% mean any more than what 155 miles means? I think the miles provide more data that you can adjust in your head than %.

Even in an ICE Vehicle when I’m low on gas I much prefer see 55 miles to empty than a needle a little past E or it saying 10%. Even if I’m not getting EPA mileage.
That's exactly why I use both... and specifically why I don't use the EPA rated miles.

Let's I want to charge at 20% (dont care the exact miles but I don't want to display a false range) and if I'm travelling long distance I'd use the energy graph range to make sure I can actually get there, regardless of SoC.

Percent is more for daily commute and energy graph range is for travel. Having it say an EPA rated range though is just totally inaccurate and therefore I shouldn't even see it.

The Model 3 is the very first vehicle I've ever driven that uses an EPA rated range instead of an estimated range based on usage.

Straight from a Toyota manual regarding displayed driving range:
This distance is computed based on your average fuel consumption

I've heard it's pretty accurate for the RWD version... but at every percentage, the rated range is the same in the AWD and Performance models. o_O

Heater usage, driving style, tires, dwarfs the difference between AWD and RWD. I’m almost always doing better with my AWD (performance stealth) than my buddy does with his RWD (both have Aero covers on).

RWD will be off in the summer. Because your range could be much higher than shown. It can be “accurate” with any of the model 3 configuration.

BTW the reference line on the Energy graph is drawn at ~241 wh/mi on RWD and it’s drawn at ~250 wh/mi on AWD. This indicate the real range on AWD is 295 miles, not 310. This complicates the value of the main display even further.

This argument of % vs miles is starting to feel like Creep On vs Off. And we all know which is better. ;)

I've heard it's pretty accurate for the RWD version... but at every percentage, the rated range is the same in the AWD and Performance models.

That doesn't make sense. Hopefully Tesla will allow an option to display estimated range in a future update.

It's rated miles. In a Tesla, rated miles remaining is a reference to energy remaining. Since the batteries are all the same, it does make sense from that perspective.

Sure, they could add an option to provide a small indicator of estimated range next to the rated range, or something. Or you can just bring up the energy screen and check.

The navigation estimates are good because they DO take into account elevation & driving style to an extent. It's dangerous to use the 5/15/30 mile screen in isolation, because you could be in trouble if the end of your drive is taking you up a 5000-foot ascent. That's 30+ rated miles for no distance traveled! The navigation estimation DOES take this into account. Personally, I find the energy screen estimates to be no more useful than the trip odometer or meter showing Wh/mi since last charge. The navigation estimates seem pretty decent and slightly conservative.

Heater usage, driving style, tires, dwarfs the difference between AWD and RWD. I’m almost always doing better with my AWD (performance stealth) than my buddy does with his RWD (both have Aero covers on).

RWD will be off in the summer. Because your range could be much higher than shown. It can be “accurate” with any of the model 3 configuration.

BTW the reference line on the Energy graph is drawn at ~241 wh/mi on RWD and it’s drawn at ~250 wh/mi on AWD. This indicate the real range on AWD is 295 miles, not 310. This complicates the value of the main display even further.

This argument of % vs miles is starting to feel like Creep On vs Off. And we all know which is better. ;)
Yes, but in my opinion, regardless if the heat is on or if I'm driving 10 mph or 90 mph, that range estimate should be as accurate as possible and yet it's not unless you use the one from the energy graph...

It's rated miles. In a Tesla, rated miles remaining is a reference to energy remaining. Since the batteries are all the same, it does make sense from that perspective.
The batteries are the same... but the motors, software, and even tire configurations are different. It does not take that into account. Unlike the energy graph and navigation.

Sure, they could add an option to provide a small indicator of estimated range next to the rated range, or something. Or you can just bring up the energy screen and check.

The navigation estimates are good because they DO take into account elevation & driving style to an extent. It's dangerous to use the 5/15/30 mile screen in isolation, because you could be in trouble if the end of your drive is taking you up a 5000-foot ascent. That's 30+ rated miles for no distance traveled! The navigation estimation DOES take this into account. Personally, I find the energy screen estimates to be no more useful than the trip odometer or meter showing Wh/mi since last charge. The navigation estimates seem pretty decent and slightly conservative.
I find that the Navigation estimate is pretty conservative. For example I drive pretty frequently from SF to LA and the estimated remaining % is usually lower than what I have left once I get to the destination. I'm fine with that though cause I rather it over estimate how much energy I will be using rather than under estimate it.

Yes, but in my opinion, regardless if the heat is on or if I'm driving 10 mph or 90 mph, that range estimate should be as accurate as possible and yet it's not unless you use the one from the energy graph...

The batteries are the same... but the motors, software, and even tire configurations are different. It does not take that into account. Unlike the energy graph and navigation.

I agree, only the Energy graph is a good estimator. It’s funny the nav and the trip tab on the Energy graph all use percent battery.

Reactions: JeffK
The batteries are the same... but the motors, software, and even tire configurations are different. I

Sure. But the energy remaining is the same. For these other differences, they provide the other estimators, which is good. Which you're using, because it is useful to you.

I definitely like the direct access to energy remaining in the battery. But I recognize that it is not a measure of how many miles I can go.

Reactions: mswlogo and JeffK