Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First thing to do in you new model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That might be good in warm areas like California and Arizona, but not good for cold areas, like me in Ontario, Canada.

We need to know "whats my real battery capacity or range" using the energy graph and not the range/battery % shown. That figure is based on a constant usage rate and not the actual at the time.

Could be a good tip for the warm areas though.

Vin

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
That might be good in warm areas like California and Arizona, but not good for cold areas, like me in Ontario, Canada.

We need to know "whats my real battery capacity or range" using the energy graph and not the range/battery % shown. That figure is based on a constant usage rate and not the actual at the time.

Could be a good tip for the warm areas though.

Vin
Totally disagree... it especially does more harm in cold areas as it doesn't provide a realistic measurement of range remaining.

Change it to a percentage and use the energy graph as a more realistic gauge of remaining range.

Totally disagree... it especially does more harm in cold areas as it doesn't provide a realistic measurement of range remaining.

Change it to a percentage and use the energy graph as a more realistic gauge of remaining range.

I think we are agreeing here that changing to battery % DOES NOT provide a realistic measurement of range remaining.

I like the graph as it is accurate to range based on current driving and environmental conditions.

Vin

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors

And percentages does? It doesn't matter, they are both useless as a measure of how much fuel is left in cold climates.
I wish the range available shown on the energy graph was displayed on the main screen. Now that would be useful.

Reactions: redgt
I think we are agreeing here that changing to battery % DOES NOT provide a realistic measurement of range remaining.

I like the graph as it is accurate to range based on current driving and environmental conditions.

Vin
The percent is fine... it's a percent. The range in miles/kilometers (on the main screen) is not accurate.

I wish the range available shown on the energy graph was displayed on the main screen.
Exactly, I wish this was an option! With how I'm actually driving in current conditions, with my heat on and everything, how much range do I have left?!!

Exactly, I wish this was an option! With how I'm actually driving in current conditions, with my heat on and everything, how much range do I have left?!!

They even calculate this overall for the vehicle in the charging API. They show Rated Range as well as an Estimated Range which appears to be based on the 30+ mile drive history. Should be an option to display your range as either Rated or Estimated IMO

Which is why it should be used in combination with the energy graph range.

What use is it, if you already have everything you need to know on the energy graph as far as true range left.

What units you want to display in the main screen doesn’t solve any problems. Personally I prefer miles. It is a reference of far I could go, if I turned off heat ;) It should also be more accurate come warmer weather.

The Icon itself already shows a percentage.

Reactions: kavyboy and nvx1977
What use is it, if you already have everything you need to know on the energy graph as far as true range left.

What units you want to display in the main screen doesn’t solve any problems. Personally I prefer miles. It is a reference of far I could go, if I turned off heat ;) It should also be more accurate come warmer weather.

The Icon itself already shows a percentage.
It shows a battery, I just like the numerical percentage instead of the fake miles (unachievable through normal driving).

A percentage is just a vague score with no context.

“Captain before we hit Warp speed to go to the nezt Galaxy we’re at 73% of dilithium crystals.”

“So... do I hit the button? What’s 73%?”

“Captain, we’ve got three galaxies and a billion Starbucks we can reach, punch it.”

Give me some context... Maybe I can only reach 2.75 galaxies and 999,978,231 Starbucks stores... but at least I have something to work with that is an actual unit of measure...

• Funny
Reactions: 2012MS85
This has been covered here already I think, but in short, the miles shows an actual absolute number, showing the remaining amount of energy in your battery, while the % does not.

If you multiply the miles by 0.242kWh/mi, it tells you how many kWh you have left, assuming BMS has a good handle on the energy in your battery.
You cannot, generally, do the same with the % (multiply by 3.1mi/%*0.242kWh/mi), though you can definitely do so when the car is new.

In the event your battery degrades (which it may not; no one really knows what exactly is going to happen), this may become relevant to you. This is because (as I understand it - please correct me if I'm wrong!) a 100% charge on a degraded battery is still 100%, but the reported number of miles available will be less, because the system knows there is less energy available.

The miles may also give you a better handle on whether there is an issue with State of Charge estimation because things won't "look" right. I guess this depends on how Tesla handles such issues.

It's really personal preference. I prefer miles, mostly for resolution reasons, but I don't view it as an indicator of how many miles I can go.

Reactions: LukasSwan