Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First timer question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at getting a model 3 ones Ford buys back my truck.
Call me paranoid and crazy, but is there a way to shut off communications with Tesla skynet?
I know you can shut off updates, just wondering if there was another kill switch for getting any commands from t

Yes I know my phone, watch etc keep me locked into someone, I am just a little uncomfortable knowing that a company can hit a button ans shut my car off whenever and wherever they want.
Thanks!

The only way you could really sever your car from Tesla is to remove the SIM card, and never connect to any WiFi/Hotspot. You'd do a great disservice to your car as well as your driving experience doing this though.
Yeah I figured it was something like that. It was more of a paranoid thought while not being able to sleep. Lol

Where are the SIM cards Ian the Tesla? That sounds so funny to ask

Call me paranoid and crazy, but is there a way to shut off communications with Tesla skynet?
I know you can shut off updates, just wondering if there was another kill switch for getting any commands from t

Yes I know my phone, watch etc keep me locked into someone, I am just a little uncomfortable knowing that a company can hit a button ans shut my car off whenever and wherever they want.
Thanks!
You don't want a Tesla if you don't want a connected car. OTAs are a huge part of the value of a Tesla, you not only get bug fixes but also new features. Things that would have required dealer visits with a transitional car to get fixed are fixed while you car is sleeping in your driveway. You get new features for years after you've bought the car, that can't happen without an Internet connection. Navigation also requires an Internet connection to get traffic and speech recognition also requires a connection.

You don't want a Tesla if you don't want a connected car. OTAs are a huge part of the value of a Tesla, you not only get bug fixes but also new features. Things that would have required dealer visits with a transitional car to get fixed are fixed while you car is sleeping in your driveway. You get new features for years after you've bought the car, that can't happen without an Internet connection. Navigation also requires an Internet connection to get traffic and speech recognition also requires a connection.
I completely agree with this.

The bigger issue is all new cars will start talking to the mother ship so eventually you are going to be stuck. Might as well buy an old carbureted classic car to be safe and use a land line at home.

Much of a Tesla's value is in the connection to the mother ship and this makes a much better ownership experience. My car is way better than the day I bought it and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Reactions: LionXng

Thanks!

If thats your concern, you should not buy this or any other tesla product, full stop. I am not going to make any comments about your concerns at all, they are your own. I will say, however, that you need to consider not purchasing ANY modern car, but of modern cars, Teslas are the most connected, so do not (do NOT) buy this car, with those concerns.

EDIT: I should have gotten to the end of the thread before answering, because several other people already gave this same advice.

Nevertheless, I cant emphasize it strongly enough, do not even consider buying this car (or any tesla) if this is even a small concern of yours. They are not going to just remotely disable your car without your consent, but that starts getting into the "whys" you might feel this way and thats none of our concern.

You also are not going to find any other EV without similar levels of connectivity, so you will need to pivot back to ICE vehicles (and older ones at that), at least a few years old.

and just as an opinion, I don't believe Tesla can "kill" your car. There are updates that contain bugs, yes, but it doesn't make sense that they could stop your car from running at all. Otherwise, same comment as others before me, it might not be a car for you.
Tesla does have the ability to "kill" your car. I don't think you have to worry about this though because it would be a PR nightmare if they ever did anything like that.

But yes, they do have the ability to.

The scarier case is if a hacker were able to get in and kill your car. That is a huge concern for Tesla and they don't take security lightly.

Wow, lots of responses!! I do appreciate all of them. lol I knew I sounded like crazy. Like I said in the OP, I was more just wondering. If I wanted 'total privacy' I should get rid of my phone, watch, internet service etc.
It was more of a question of 'is there a way' and 'could they if they wanted to'

To address the buyback with FORD. That is a whole different discussion. They have a known issue with the f150's Raptors with their Cam Phasers. My 2017 has been in the shop more than 6 times replacing them and over 300 days total in the shop in 4 years. So my issue is unique. It's not me just complaining because it's quirky or has an issue or two. Hell, the FORD Service Manager is the one I suggested I contact someone and go that way. "They have no idea what is causing this, they have tried to fix it for 4 years and have no clue what to do other than replace them every time"

Autos are things that do work and are bound to have normal issues. That isn't a problem for me. As I said, my FORD issue is a unique issue with my truck.

Maybe I shouldn't post questions after watching IRobot on tv. lol

Again thanks for the responses.

What's (semi) worrying to me is that Tesla Mobile Service was able to unlock my car when he came to my house a couple of weeks ago. Yes, the ranger first asked me if he had my permission to do so, but still. What's to prevent a rogue tech from opening up Teslas in a parking lot and going through them looking for valuables? I guess it beats the random thief who does the usual smash-the-quarter-window-and-grab. At least there won't be any need to replace the $200 window...

What's (semi) worrying to me is that Tesla Mobile Service was able to unlock my car when he came to my house a couple of weeks ago. Yes, the ranger first asked me if he had my permission to do so, but still. What's to prevent a rogue tech from opening up Teslas in a parking lot and going through them looking for valuables? I guess it beats the random thief who does the usual smash-the-quarter-window-and-grab. At least there won't be any need to replace the $200 window...

Thing is, that would be logged. Any access like that is logged so they couldnt just do it without any repercussions.

Every time I think about a self driving car..... I picture this. (Yes I’m showing my age)

Attachments

• AD6D90E8-133C-44B6-8D01-7B0ADFD5B229.jpeg
    AD6D90E8-133C-44B6-8D01-7B0ADFD5B229.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 44
Took a locksmith less than a minute to open my old car when I lost the key. 10 minutes later he'd made me a completely new set of keys and reprogrammed the immobiliser with the new codes.
Any car can be opened with the right tools and skills - I'd say a Tesla was actually more secure.
Besides you can guarantee every unlock they do is logged. No professional with the tiniest bit of intelligence is going to steal anything from your car.

Reactions: Stan930
Took a locksmith less than a minute to open my old car when I lost the key. 10 minutes later he'd made me a completely new set of keys and reprogrammed the immobiliser with the new codes.
Any car can be opened with the right tools and skills - I'd say a Tesla was actually more secure.
Besides you can guarantee every unlock they do is logged. No professional with the tiniest bit of intelligence is going to steal anything from your car.
I have two amusing stories on this subject, one happened to me and one to a friend of mine. Both stories are from the early 80s. A little after I moved to my house I locked my keys in my car. I first called the Chrysler dealer and asked if they could help, they said it was impossible and there was nothing that they could do. I then called my local police department and said "This may sound like a strange request but could you help me break into a car?" They delightedly said, absolutely we'll be right there. The cop car showed up a couple of minutes later, the policeman checked my driver's license and then pulled out a slim jim, slid it down the window and opened the door. It was easier than using a key. The second happened to a friend of mine. He parked his car near Logan Airport, opened his trunk to take out his luggage, put his keys down on the floor of the trunk while he took out his suitcase and then closed the trunk lid. He flagged down a couple of passing teenagers and said "You kids are from Revere you must know how to open a trunk", of course they did because they teach breaking and entering in Revere highschools. They popped his trunk open for him and he was able to catch his plane.

• Funny
Reactions: kavyboy
I have two amusing stories on this subject, one happened to me and one to a friend of mine. Both stories are from the early 80s. A little after I moved to my house I locked my keys in my car. I first called the Chrysler dealer and asked if they could help, they said it was impossible and there was nothing that they could do. I then called my local police department and said "This may sound like a strange request but could you help me break into a car?" They delightedly said, absolutely we'll be right there. The cop car showed up a couple of minutes later, the policeman checked my driver's license and then pulled out a slim jim, slid it down the window and opened the door. It was easier than using a key. The second happened to a friend of mine. He parked his car near Logan Airport, opened his trunk to take out his luggage, put his keys down on the floor of the trunk while he took out his suitcase and then closed the trunk lid. He flagged down a couple of passing teenagers and said "You kids are from Revere you must know how to open a trunk", of course they did because they teach breaking and entering in Revere highschools. They popped his trunk open for him and he was able to catch his plane.
I used to live in Mass and work in Boston. The cops probably can't open your car as a courtesy anymore but the kids from Revere can and will. LOL