Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Trip Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally received my inventory P90D last week after exactly one month and one day wait. I will be going on a short trip for Memorial Day weekend up to Lancaster, PA from Northern Virginia. The trip is roughly 125 miles each way. I will be heading up on Friday and staying through Monday. From what I can tell there are no superchargers anywhere along my route and no superchargers anywhere near Lancaster, PA. I can get there on Friday and still have about 80-100 miles left in range but I still need to get around over the weekend and obviously back on Monday. I'll be staying at a hotel that does not have a charger. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I do have an Escalade I can take but I would rather cover the distance with the assistance of autopilot. Thanks for your assistance.

Use PlugShare.com to see where there are charging locations. Be sure to register so that you can see private (e.g. home) chargers. If you're lucky there will be a nice Tesla owner that has an 80 amp HPWC you can use. Note that you won't be able to see the home chargers without registering. Another alternative is to use RVParking.com to find RV parks with 50 amp chargers (not 30 amp, they won't work without some modifications and they are very, very slow anyway).

One option is Harrisburg. The Harrisburg Supercharger is around 40 miles from Lancaster, depending on where in Lancaster you're going. It's a significant detour, but it's an option if you can't find convenient charging for the weekend - and one you could probably execute at the end of the weekend, if other things fall through.

If you have a CHAdeMO adapter, it looks like Lancaster Nissan has a CHAdeMO that they allow free use of (I'd call first, and maybe bring treats or something.)

• Helpful
Reactions: FarmerDave
Ask the hotel if there is an outdoor 120V outlet you could plug into. Most will accommodate you. Three nights of charging will give you about 100 miles range. If it's is a 20A outlet and you use the UMC 5-20 adapter you'll get even more range. While you're there, suggest they apply for Tesla's destination charging program to make it more convenient for your next trip (even if you have no intention of visiting there again).