Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Trip to Service Started Badly.......Before I even got there!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
set the scene:
appointment booked at service centre for next day for a simple job that should have been about 30 minutes tops
action
ring ring, ring ring
me: hello
Tesla Lady: hello, is that Jason
me: yes
Tesla Lady:T you have a service appointment with us tomorrow in Birmingham at 1pm
me: yes that's right
Tesla lady: I'm afraid there is a bit a a problem. I'm going to need you to bring it in a 8am not 1pm. I'm not even sure how you were able to book at that time. it shouldn't be possible
me: well I just did it from that app and that was the time that was offered
Tesla lady: OK well like I said we can't do that can you bring it in at 8am instead.
me: well not really I have work etc and this is very short notice. I booked this 6 weeks ago and now the day before you want to change it. it's not very good is it. What happens if I can't do 8am?
Tesla lady: We like to get all the cars in early to organise the work. If you can't do that then I'm afraid you will have to re-book
me: for when?
Tesla lady: whenever the next appointment is
me: but that will be like another 6 weeks then??? OK well let's say somehow I can get it there for 8. how long will I have to wait?
Tesla lady: You don't need to wait
me: Well I kind of do. I live 50 miles away and you will have my car. I literally have nowhere else to go
Tesla lady: oh so you were planning to wait then?
me: well yes that's one reason I booked the afternoon. I figured it could not take long
Tesla lady: can you just bear with me for a minute
me: OK
time passes
Tesla lady:
can you bring it in a 1:30?
me: um, yes
Tesla lady: Ok bring it in at 1:30 and we'll do it while you wait
me: well OK then, see you at 1:30. bye
end call
me ( to myself)
: WTF just happened???

For the record 13:00 and 13:30 appointments are still available through the app pretty much every day when there are appointments at Birmingham. I have no idea why they are lying and bullying people into coming earlier except for what she said that it may make their life a bit easier.

Anyone else had a similar experience? everyone booking an afternoon appointment at Birmingham I assume?

Sounds like a pretty pointless phone call! Surely if you’d logged the issue in service they’d already know what they need to sort it and wouldn’t require it all day?
I did. it was a replacement aero shield (undertray to you and me) service bulletin says 35 minutes for the front AND rear ones. I only needed the rear so should have been about 20 minutes on paper and not much scope for complications I wouldn't think.

Did they cover this under warranty?
I was wondering if someone would ask that :)
the answer is I think so.
They were not keen. That was a whole other discussion I could post about however deep the water and whatever the speed was involvled. I was not going to accept that the puddle unscrewed one of the bolts where the damage to the shield was.
In the end they said they would take a look and come back to me. No price was discussed, They fixed it and I left with the car.
I did get a txt on the way home saying "we have emailed your service invoice" but nothing ever arrived
So I am thinking I "got away with it" if wasting half a day to get fixed for free something that should not have been broken qualifies as "getting away with it"

Sounds like Service App needs a bit of work to optimise capacity eg allowing you to book a 30min appointment at 1pm would not allow for say a 5hr job to start at 12. Human then trying to juggle appointments to maximise capacity for that day.

I find the people at the service centres great, when you get there. However, the system they work in results in service that is nowhere near commensurate with the price of the cars IMO. At least you can actually call them on the phone again now.

I had reason to make an appointment with the Service Centre [Weybridge] recently and I can honestly say that the entire experience was excellent. They even gave me a choice that I could bring my appointment forward by 10 days if I wished - which I accepted. Courtesy car too and my car valeted for handover. In their defence it was first class for me. :)

Reactions: freekie
The entire service system needs an overhaul. If you read hundreds of post. I tried same thing, take off from work 6 weeks ahead. ""Oh we cant guarantee a loaner"" excuse me, 6 weeks out. Its getting worse by the day. They refuse to hire more technicians, get bigger space or put on second shift. My SC only has about 10,000 square feet, my backyard is bigger. Once your car goes out of warranty, you had better learn to fix or find a shop that will. I wrote post on what I have changed lately.

The Birmingham SC is massively over stretched. They had my car for over three weeks before they could even look at it, after the multiple system failure water ingress issue.
They like to get cars in early, provide a courtesy car and then get people to collect before the end of the day. It does need sorting and the increase in cars with the 0% BIK is going to cause a massive problem if they can't sort out capacity.

The Birmingham SC is massively over stretched. They had my car for over three weeks before they could even look at it, after the multiple system failure water ingress issue.
They like to get cars in early, provide a courtesy car and then get people to collect before the end of the day. It does need sorting and the increase in cars with the 0% BIK is going to cause a massive problem if they can't sort out capacity.
I assumed this was probably the case, and I have some sympathy, though I only actually saw one other owner the whole time I was there. What annoyed me was the opening gambit to basically lie to me and say my appointment time was due to a fault with the booking system then threaten to cancel on me unless I agreed to do what they wanted and all this with only a few hours notice.
it's just so unnecessary. I guess this is what a monopoly looks like. I'm starting to think the dealer model is not so bad after all.....