Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firsthand experience with out-of-warranty battery replacement cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I'm trying to have an informed discussion with someone who asserts that replacing a Tesla battery out of warranty costs $25K. I've demonstrated that such replacements for Model 3/Y can be around $13K-$15K, but he's now moved the goal posts, calling those "stripped down" cars.

I've seen a few accounts of oow Model S battery replacements, and I know the costs can vary (new vs. remanufactured, etc). I think $25K is a little high.

Can anyone share (preferably) firsthand accounts of what it has actually cost to have one of these replaced (with a new or reconditioned battery) by Tesla? I'm tired of the FUD.

Thanks,

Todd

Hello all,

I'm trying to have an informed discussion with someone who asserts that replacing a Tesla battery out of warranty costs $25K. I've demonstrated that such replacements for Model 3/Y can be around $13K-$15K, but he's now moved the goal posts, calling those "stripped down" cars.

I've seen a few accounts of oow Model S battery replacements, and I know the costs can vary (new vs. remanufactured, etc). I think $25K is a little high.

Can anyone share (preferably) firsthand accounts of what it has actually cost to have one of these replaced (with a new or reconditioned battery) by Tesla? I'm tired of the FUD.

Thanks,

Todd

In 2021, the quote was $17,000.

Thread 'Problem with hv battery need help' Problem with hv battery need help

$21k is bad enough and I heard horror stories of nearly $20k in years previously but I assumed that was the total cost as in you get to keep the replaced parts. Maybe you can recoup nearly $10k on a battery pack that just needs one of the modules replaced or something to help recoup the cost. But this is my first time hearing that it's $21k AND they keep the battery pack or you pay another $10k for a total of $31k. Oof. That's steep. Tesla has to do something to lessen the impact of that if they want sell more cars going forward. The wave of cars that need a new pack is about to lap upon the Tesla shores and how they handle this could dramatically impact the adoption of EVs going forward. This is the time many people were talking about and... we're there.

And, if you pay for it out of warranty, it has a 4yr 50K mile warranty.
Are you sure about that? I think I've seen others post that their battery replacement through Tesla came with only a year warranty which I found to be noteworthy.

Reactions: GSP
The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months or 12,500 miles, which ever comes first. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:
  • Sheet metal: Limited lifetime
  • Drive Unit*: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Vehicle High Voltage Battery*: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Wall Connectors: 4 years for personal use, 12 months for commercial use
  • Touchscreen and Media Control Unit: 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Clear Protection Film**: 10 years
  • Color Paint Film**: 5 years

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Current Tesla replacement costs for a 90/85 kWh are $14.5 base for reman and $18k base for new. Then add applicable labor, some suspension mod parts and tax. So about $16k total for reman and $21k for new.

I paid for a new (not reman) Tesla replacement pack in Nov 2022. At that time both reman and new were $1000 less.

New Tesla 90/85 kWh pack pack before $1000 increase.

FB_IMG_1716603641545.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks much for this; is the $19K-ish number in the upper right the quote for the replacement including labor? Or, do you know what the figure was?

THANKS!
The $19k--ish is before Tesla increased prices by $1000 last Fall. The current day new (not reman) Tesla 90/85 replacement pack will likely be $21k with labor and taxes. Do you has a Model S 85?

The majority of your pack replacement options are addressed in this exemplary FAQs. www.Superchargertravel.com

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and GSP
Thanks much for this; is the $19K-ish number in the upper right the quote for the replacement including labor? Or, do you know what the figure was?

THANKS!

In my case, I paid $27k for my 2012 P85 in Oct 2022 from the original owner. I've since spent more than that for both new (not reman) pack and RDU, PTC heater and MCU2 upgrade. Given my current transportation needs and financial situation, keeping my #2446 on the road is a hobby/priority. Costing over $100k to the original owner, it still is in excellent shape in and out, has free unlimited supercharging and connectivity for life, etc, etc.

It's the first car, since graduating college 40 years ago that I just make excuses to drive.

And yes, I fully realize, given the current market, that's there's no way I will be able to recoup my repair costs if I were to total the car or try to sell.

Lastly, my mission to keep her on the road has come to fruition from, oddly, myriad Tesla employees. When I show them #2446 they marvel with complimentary comments like "this is how they used to make them, wow a sunroof, look how big that frunk is, and it's like a time capsule."

THANKS!
Your pack replacement solution will likely depend on what you want to do with your car and your personal finances. My advice, and I'm just one person, is based on personally talking with hundreds of folks and my own experience. I don't profess to be the expert - (1) If you love the car and want to keep it less than 3 years, either get a remanufactured pack replacement or fix of your current pack for $7k-$15k USD, (2) if you love your car and want to keep it for more than 3 years then get new pack from Tesla for $20k, (3) If you're done with Tesla and just want to walk away, sell your car for $7k-10k with known pack failure issues (4) If you are mechanically inclined and comfortable/safe around dangerous high voltage, then you can swap packs or attempt to repair your existing pack. CAUTION these packs are lethal if not managed safely.

Last edited:

THANKS!
$10k USD - That seems to be the current market rate for an 85 kWh used/reman/salvage replacement pack that gives the owner a rated range of around 240 miles. Just the pack. Any applicable labor, taxes, and warranty (explained below) are extra.

$10k includes Tesla, 3rd party professionals and salvage yards. Tesla bundles in a 4 year/50k mile warranty while others offer warranties at an extra cost. Each year of warranty seems to range from $1250-$1500/year. e.g. Tesla's basic $15k=$10k pack + (4) x $1250 warranty. Of course, Tesla does not break things down like this, but based on 3rd party warranty fees, a reasonable comparison.

So your decision around that magic $10k number for a 85 kWh used/reman/salvage replacement pack revolves around warranty and convenience of location/time.

Lastly, Tesla is the only one providing new (not reman) replacement packs. $18k base plus tax, labor, etc for around $21k total. Comes with 4yr/50k mile warranty.

The $19k--ish is before Tesla increased prices by $1000 last Fall. The current day new (not reman) Tesla 90/85 replacement pack will likely be $21k with labor and taxes. Do you has a Model S 85?

The majority of your pack replacement options are addressed in this exemplary FAQs. www.Superchargertravel.com
Thanks much for the above. This is not for me personally, but to try to get someone off their battery replacement cost disinformation campaign. So, I’m seeking non-hearsay examples to disprove his assertion that it costs $25k. I have yet to find an example of $25k to replace any Tesla battery (though $21k is obviously nothing to sneeze at)!

And, thanks for the link!

Reactions: NV Ray
Thanks much for the above. This is not for me personally, but to try to get someone off their battery replacement cost disinformation campaign. So, I’m seeking non-hearsay examples to disprove his assertion that it costs $25k. I have yet to find an example of $25k to replace any Tesla battery (though $21k is obviously nothing to sneeze at)!

And, thanks for the link!
In regards to the $25k issue, I've found that overseas quotes (especially Euros) would be close to the 25k number. Also, I've seen $25k estimates for pack replacement but included additional services other than the pack replacement.

Current Tesla replacement costs for a 90/85 kWh are $14.5 base for reman and $18k base for new. Then add applicable labor, some suspension mod parts and tax. So about $16k total for reman and $21k for new.

I paid for a new (not reman) Tesla replacement pack in Nov 2022. At that time both reman and new were $1000 less.
How much degradation does your battery have since you had the new one put in?

How much degradation does your battery have since you had the new one put in?
None. My 90% SoC rated miles was 244 when I first had the pack changed, and still 244 today. Pic is my old and new pack labels.

And Superchargering speeds 130ish kW max, 50ish kW min. Much faster than original pack.

Attachments

• Before and after.png
    Before and after.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • Informative
Reactions: ran349
We are located in South Carolina and this is our pricing with installation (if we keep old battery as core):

* Model 3/Y 75kwh - $6,500
* Model 3/Y LFP or 82kwh $7,500
* Model S/X 100kwh $11,500

(These are only batteries we have in stock right now).

Batteries come from wrecked cars and each one is tested. Warranty is 30 days unless you are willing to pay extra.

Prices will only go down in the future.

Electrics Auto