Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the gas engine is supposedly 260hp max, so in cases where the battery is fully depleted, the dual 200hp (400hp+ total) eMotors could probably only muster somewhat less than 260hp, so max performance isn't likely always available.

Since I don't understand exactly how their technology will work, I don't want to speculate too much, but it sounds like max performance is only available at times when the battery pack is relatively full, and the gas engine is also running the generator (using power from both in "sport mode").

I don't know what performance would be like with a full battery pack, and gas engine off, nor what performance would be like with gas engine on and an empty battery pack.

At least it never has to shift. And it can pull away from stops using the 0rpm torque advantage of powerful electric motors.

----

I assume that nothing is driving the front wheels, and the RWD is one eMotor per rear wheel. (Yet to be seen if this will provide good handling in all conditions). Are the eMotors each connected just to one wheel, or are they linked together and use a differential? Still many unanswered questions.

So, I looked up this Quantum Technologies outfit, and they don't look that impressive or a like a serious engineering outfit. All this Q-drive and happy cow mumbojumbo being tossed around is getting a bit ridiculous. These guys seem to be all hat and no cattle. They must have the same PR firm as Zap.

I assume that nothing is driving the front wheels, and the RWD is one eMotor per rear wheel. (Yet to be seen if this will provide good handling in all conditions). Are the eMotors each connected just to one wheel, or are they linked together and use a differential? Still many unanswered questions.

Reading the following from the Fisker Site my personal guess is that they will have 2 electric motors tied to input of a rear axle differential.

The power dense dual motor traction drive is capable of delivering a peak output mechanical power of 300 kW (403 hp) and a peak torque of 1300 Nm (959 Ft-lb) to the input of the differential.

I'm wondering how far along they are in safety testing. They unveiled the production design in December, so they have roughly a year for safety testing. Should be a tight schedule to get the car out in 2009 even if no problems come up along the way.

Reading from the Fisker Site my personal guess is that they will have 2 electric motors tied to input of a rear axle differential.

Yeah, I figured as much. Independent motors is simpler, lighter, and avoids the expense and size of a differential, *but* it can cause handling issues, and could also cause certification/regulatory hassles.

I figure Fisker would have gone with one bigger eMotor if it were available, but they had to resort to two smaller ones since that was all that was the best they could do to meet their performance target. (Any proven 400hp eMotors on the market yet?) I bet Tesla builds a more powerful Tesla motor for "Model S" so they don't have to resort to joining two like Fisker is doing.

Fisker Practices TM | The Truth About Cars

... One of our Best and Brightest emailed me an excerpt from the brochure today, and the bits about the interior trim, well, judge for yourself. ”Wood trim is recovered from trees found in America’s wilds: Fallen Trees™ that have succumbed to age; Rescued Trees™ burned in forest fires; and Sunken Trees™ lying on lake bottoms.” ”Recylable EcoGlass™, made from naturally occurring sand…” ”The EcoSport™ series incorporates hand-wrapped premium leather processed using a 100 percent sustainable Happy Cow™ manufacturing strategy…” If a tree falls in the forest, but no one trademarks it…
From the comments:
mcs :
January 13th, 2009 at 11:37 pm

They need to hire an IP attorney. Let’s see, EcoSport is a registered trademark of Hyundai (SN 77614128). EcoGlass is a registered trademark of 3Form Inc. EcoBase is a registered trademark of PPG for vehicle paint (SN 77603757). By the way, EcoBabble is a registered trademark of Atlas Embroidery of Coral Springs FL.
I can almost guarantee that a C&D will be in the mail from Hyundai/Lackenbach Siegel if they see that document. PPG might go after them as well.
Btw...
nose.jpg

Now why couldn't the Karma have a front grill like this??

Last edited: