Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2009_fisker_karma_side.jpg

2009_fisker_karma_back.jpg

IMO comparing the model S to the Karma is still apples to oranges. model S is a BEV, and allegedly much cheaper. Moreover, by the time it comes out, Tesla will have a reputation for quality or junk... I'd imagine some visitors to this site will have posted their actual experiences [I hope]. But I am very excited to see model S...we're still years away from production.

TM can not afford to not debut the Model S at the Detroit Auto Show.

I am not sure I agree (as much as I do want to see the Model S). The company took a lot of heat for showing the Roadster early, and then having delays getting it to market (meanwhile the fall of the dollar and other things continued to push up the price)

They may be trying to rectify this by waiting until they have their financing more securely in place to produce the Model S before showing it. It would be more bad PR for Tesla to show off a car, and then delay bringing it out another year because they didn't have the money to produce it. The only reason to show it off before they have the finances in place to make it would be if they think they can get more financing by showing it to the public.

There have been published articles that claim they plan to reveal the Model S in Geneva (which I think is in March).

Detroit Auto Show: Fisker Karma Gets A Starting Price Of $87,900, We Get First Front Shot Of Tesla-Killer

The Karma will get not one, but two electric motors as part of its "Q-drive" powertain system, and they augment a 265 HP GM Ecotec turbocharged four cylinder for a grand total of 408 HP and 959 lb-ft of torque. In full sport mode that car will scoot from zero to 60 MPH in only 5.8 seconds, top speed is pegged at 125 MPH. Switch it down to miser mode and you can go 50 miles in all electric mode, drawing power from the lithium-ion battery pack.

I love this in the comments...

I dig the mustache grille. It's very "Frankly, my dear, I don't give air dam"

lp-clark.jpg

I also have to say I agree with some of the commenters that with figures like that, it should easily be a lot quicker to 60 than 5.8 seconds. Either that or it is *very* heavy.

Last edited:
That nose looks much better, almost Austin Martin-like.

The wife has had her car in the shop a lot lately and warranty just expired. With the latest Karma price increase and the car a year away (don't know if she has a production #) she is looking elsewhere. She would also consider a Model S but that's even further away.

She is currently looking at used Lexus Hybrids.

Unfortunately, all of this mocking of Fisker's Karma is not going to amount to much if the guys at Tesla don't get their collective 5h!t together and start mass producing a marketable product.

It's market saturation that does more for an emerging technology/product to secure public acceptance and encourage desire for it, not to mention increasing demand for the improvement for said technology, as well as push sales demands.

Tesla is and has been at the cusp of the EV movement...it would be a shame if they let their edge dull due to personality conflicts/differing business ideologies...oh, wait a second....

The various articles do seem a little jumbled as to the actual specs.
My guess is that it has one eMotor for each rear wheel and the gas engine up front just turns a generator (series hybrid).