Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the entire loan was supposed to be for Nina development?
Nope. They argued that some could be used for the Karma since the engineering work was done in California, even though the car is manufactured outside of the US. The part I find odd about it is that I thought they were saying the Karma "done" at the time they were applying for the loan.

Well, that was a pretty normal and positive review for Top Gear: BBC iPlayer - Top Gear: Series 18: Episode 4

Nothing like as bad as I expected and I was impressed to see that it could outrun a car from the 1920's - still not sure what that was all about.

Did you catch the nonsense comments? The subtle "All electric cars are expensive." Ok, not a big slur but the bit I enjoyed the most was at the end where they discussed how the Karma was just a better, more efficient way of getting the power out of the gasoline engine. I think I recall that they said it was better than one of those stupid "Toyota Prius'es".

I haven't watch Top Gear for a long while now so I went on to watch the segment about the Ferrari but realized, based on their research into the Karma, that their talk of it having two gearboxes and being 4WD, etc. might well have been complete non-sense.

Nothing like as bad as I expected and I was impressed to see that it could outrun a car from the 1920's - still not sure what that was all about.

Did you catch the nonsense comments? The subtle "All electric cars are expensive." Ok, not a big slur but the bit I enjoyed the most was at the end where they discussed how the Karma was just a better, more efficient way of getting the power out of the gasoline engine. I think I recall that they said it was better than one of those stupid "Toyota Prius'es".

I did catch that. I also noticed the faux range anxiety bit when Brian Johnson was driving it.

If you watch on to the mobility scooter bit at the end of the show, there is more FUD. Hammond, for example, says that because his runs on petrol it has far more torque and is better for going off-road. Sometimes I think they can be subtle enough that escapes the majority of the EV crowd.

Press release from Fisker (via FB). 100 million in revenue from karma sales. I found the opening paragraph laughable:

A catalyst? High performance? Delusional?

Newsroom - Fisker - Press Release

Also surprised they posted the volt's better numbers inline
Bleh. The Roadster did far more to change people's expectations (200+ miles EV range, 0-60 under 4 seconds). On technical specs (besides max acceleration), the Volt pretty much exceeds the Karma.

Might be early to say but it seems like the best case scenario for Fisker is to bought up by a larger automaker.
Might be good for Fisker, but I don't see the up side for the larger automaker. As far as I can tell, Fisker doesn't have any real technology to offer. Just a very expensive car that I think needs its drivetrain and control center reworked to be up to a larger automakers standards. I just don't see what a larger automaker would have to gain.

Fisker is better off seeing how far they can go on their own, while they still have VC funding and the potential to be nimble like a start-up. Perhaps they can learn from their mistakes and develop a truly great serial hybrid drivetrain.