Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if the true environmentalist didn't make enough money? Or was unemployed in this day and age? Just sayin'.

Come to Humboldt!!!!

there is a mix of loggers/growers/environmentalists/environmental growers /redneck loggers/ envir..well that's about it.. oh, and tweakers and crazy F-ers.

and NO FISKERS

but 1 Roadster and 2 S reservations I'm aware of (1 is a grower of sorts, I think + mine)

Latest video from Brian, the Karma owner who did that review. Some of the math is not quite right, but judge for yourself:
Very interesting. I really like the conclusion :
- I prefer to generate CO2 over a plant than near my house.
- I prefer to give my money to a US miner than a petrol king.

(except that I'm french and my money will go to a french nuclear ingenior instead of a US miner ^^ )

Latest video from Brian, the Karma owner who did that review. Some of the math is not quite right, but judge for yourself

526.7 / 0.9 = 585.22, not 579 something.

I also wonder if his handwave of carbon footprint for extracting oil from 2 miles under the ocean, shipping it, processing it is really the same as extracting natural gas's extraction, shipping, and processing, or coal for that matter.

I'm also concerned that we talk about CO2 footprint without talking about actual pollutants. Isn't coal pollution nastier than natural gas?

His ability to charge at home during the afternoon is relatively unique - most people drive to work. Maybe that's why the Karma's limited EV range doesn't phase him? With a 42 mile round trip commute, I'd be at the cusp of using gas every day, definitely if I ran errands on the way home, and definitely as the range decreases from 40 miles to 36 miles. Of course, as I tend to be a hot-foot, some (minor?) additional gas usage there as well.

One question I have is that if, say 20% of a Karma's mileage was gas only (trips to Tahoe, etc.), then wouldn't that mean the battery life would be more like 120K miles than 100K miles? That is, you really only want to count the miles driven on the battery, not on the ICE in figuring out degradation.

...I also wonder if his handwave of carbon footprint for extracting oil from 2 miles under the ocean, shipping it, processing it is really the same as extracting natural gas's extraction, shipping, and processing, or coal for that matter. ....

For coal you strip off a mountain size and wash the coal and burn it. Oil takes far far more energy to import and refine and turn in the gasoline.

Last edited:
For some of us, this analogy isn't super helpful. That's probably a good thing (for us) but bad for getting your point across. :(

Sorry about that Brian. Point is that they are both fossil fuels and they both have their own problems--just in different areas. Replacing coal with natural gas isn't a good long term solution in my opinion.

After investing $23 Million in Fisker (http://ir.a123systems.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=437662), A123 itself got rescued from bankruptcy by an Chinese firm (A123: US jobs could be saved - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com).

A123, which has posted at least 12 straight quarterly losses, needed a financial lifeline after struggling with costs from a recall of batteries for plug-in hybrid luxury carmaker Fisker.

What's important is, even if it's owned by the Chinese, that the jobs are here and the manufacturing is performed in the United States.
-- MICHAEL LEW, NEEDHAM & CO. ANALYST

Here's a Bob Lutz quote in the article:

“Superior battery chemistry, which was to be a U.S. competitive advantage, is now theirs,” Lutz said in reference to the Wanxiang deal in a blog post on Forbes.com. “But why are we surprised? The Chinese have all the money in the world, and if they ever called the loans they have out to the U.S., the global economy would stop, and our nation would be in foreclosure.”

After investing $23 Million in Fisker (http://ir.a123systems.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=437662), A123 itself got rescued from bankruptcy by an Chinese firm (A123: US jobs could be saved - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com).

Here's a Bob Lutz quote in the article:

Was there ever any surprise that our innovation would be sapped up and taken over seas? We can't compete when it comes to labor/production costs.

Tesla knows there is most likely already a Model S buyer, or one that will be quickly bought off a new Owner in possession (at a handsome premium), that will be taken (or delivered) over-seas within the next month or two, and completely torn down. From there the reverse engineering will begin. Not unlike the first iPhone.