Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever he said "fire up" or "explode" in his review, it made me cringe!

Sorry to hear (in great detail) that Fisker chose to put form over function and missed out on an opportunity to put forward a truly desirable EV-ER.

The Karma brought to mind a few "demoware" software projects that I worked on on occasion in the past - looks all cool and fancy on the surface but, is all compromises, shortcuts and a whole lot of duct tape under the covers.

For reference (so we don't end up getting circular), these videos were already discussed in this thread, with much commentary:

Fisker Karma - Page 163

and

Fisker Karma - Page 155

An awesome teardown of the command center. Fascinating like a train wreck.

Brian catalogs at least a year's worth of bugs to fix, probably two. I started watching, only intending to get a top-level sense for the issues, but watched it to the end. He's absolutely dead on with all the problems. Total fail.

Again, hopefully the new leadership at Fisker ejects the company that embarrassed themselves with the command center and has a workable solution for the Atlantic.

Sad part is, that he was ostracized in the forum and now no longer posts. It's really unusual, given that after he posted his review of both the car and the command center, many Karma owners applauded his honesty and obvious ability to present on camera.

I just got through about the first 12 and half minutes, which is mostly about the stereo/phone. My Roadster's Alpine unit is NO better:
- Volume can't be adjusted for a few seconds after boot up, even though the radio is blasting.
- Phone address book almost never downloads.
- Can't initiate calls from the Alpine unit.
- Bluetooth interferes with the phone cable. You have to unplug and replug just about every time to listen to music from your phone.
- Volume buttons small and impossible to use while driving without looking or feeling about.

It's a total fail, and neither Tesla nor Alpine seem willing to do anything about it. Should I make a video?

(mod note: additional Roadster-Alpine-specific posts were moved to the Roadster forum, thanks NigelM)

Car and Driver: Volt vs. Karma
Fisker Buzz Forums[/video]
I'll admit that I'm about to do something that irks me, but I haven't been following all 1692 comments thus far so sorry if I'm repeating or offending but should Fisker (whom I HOPE succeeds) want to be compared to Volt (whom I also hope succeeds)? The headline looses me.
Does Ferrari want to be compared to a 'Vette? Does Rolls want to be compared to a Cadillac? :rolleyes:

Top Gear meets Leonardo DiCaprio - BBC Top Gear
Large Image.jpg

So what drew DiCaprio to Fisker in the first place? "I started trying hybrids, which were fantastic. But you can say that there are lots of vehicles out there that get equal or better mileage. Then I bought two electric vehicles, which I found I never wanted to drive. I was afraid of being stranded on the Pacific Coast Highway and standing at a restaurant for six hours while my vehicle's plugged in.

"So the idea of this extended-range Fisker, which has the ability to be electric for a full day if you're not doing a road trip, but also allows you to take a spontaneous road trip if you decide to...." And the looks must have helped. "Oh yes, it's fantastic-looking. It drives like a sports car. It's amazing. It was a natural progression. I wanted to be part of the company and invest in it."

But, other than hoping to make a financial return on his investment, and have Fisker help to raise awareness of his Foundation, is there anything else he is hoping to achieve with the partnership? "I think the only thing would be to make cars that are lower in cost. And that's coming soon with the Atlantic [Fisker's upcoming smaller car]. Because you want everyone to be able to drive a vehicle like this."

So C&D says the Karma does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, but needs 6 seconds to go from 5-60? Really??

So, if you're driving at 5MPH and want to accelerate, you should slam on the brakes and then the accelerator to get to 60 sooner? :confused:
That's because they're using roll-out for the 0-60 and (at least w/ ICE's) launch control. 5-60 for all cars is a much more real-world number because it's usable performance for eg running up a freeway on-ramp. This is why it's tough for Model S to compete w/ like an M5 on paper because of launch control. I can't wait to compare 5-60 times for Model S and M5 and Panamera and I think MSP will stomp them.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll admit that I'm about to do something that irks me, but I haven't been following all 1692 comments thus far so sorry if I'm repeating or offending but should Fisker (whom I HOPE succeeds) want to be compared to Volt (whom I also hope succeeds)? The headline looses me.
Does Ferrari want to be compared to a 'Vette? Does Rolls want to be compared to a Cadillac? :rolleyes:
That was the point of the article - are you getting your money's worth when buying expensive vehicles. They did a bunch of high/low comparisons. Can't recall them off the top of my head.

I test drove a Fisker Karma today at a National Plugged-In Day in Maryland. It's a good car but it's no Model S (which I've also test-driven). Given its price, the only fair comparison is with the S Performance with the 85 kWh battery, which is the S version I test drove.

The ride, while good, is of lesser quality. The S much smoother and quieter. Acceleration is substantially slower, and to get the best times (just under 6 seconds) the electric motor and ICE have to work together, which makes for more noise and fuel consumption. I found the interior and controls to be a bit gimmicky and not at all to my liking (tacky might be the best word, at least for me). It's like they're trying to appeal to someone with an abundance of money but a shortage of good taste.

The styling is sleek for sure, but some of the details are not well executed. And what can you say about the cheshire cat grin of the front? Weird or amusing at best.

Build quality was not great. Large gaps in the body panels, misaligned cap for the charging port, and lots of other stuff that just didn't seem to fit that well.

No question in my mind about which is the better car in nearly every respect.

Top Gear meets Leonardo DiCaprio - BBC Top Gear
So what drew DiCaprio to Fisker in the first place? "I started trying hybrids, which were fantastic. But you can say that there are lots of vehicles out there that get equal or better mileage. Then I bought two electric vehicles, which I found I never wanted to drive. I was afraid of being stranded on the Pacific Coast Highway and standing at a restaurant for six hours while my vehicle's plugged in.

"So the idea of this extended-range Fisker, which has the ability to be electric for a full day if you're not doing a road trip, but also allows you to take a spontaneous road trip if you decide to...." And the looks must have helped. "Oh yes, it's fantastic-looking. It drives like a sports car. It's amazing. It was a natural progression. I wanted to be part of the company and invest in it."

But, other than hoping to make a financial return on his investment, and have Fisker help to raise awareness of his Foundation, is there anything else he is hoping to achieve with the partnership? "I think the only thing would be to make cars that are lower in cost. And that's coming soon with the Atlantic [Fisker's upcoming smaller car]. Because you want everyone to be able to drive a vehicle like this."

Uhhm, so the range of the Fisker Karma with its range extending internal combustion engine, a fully charged battery and a full tank of gas is... 230 miles, according to the EPA. And the range of the fully electric Model S, with no ICE or combustible gas tank, is 265 miles, according to the same EPA. It will be interesting to see what happens to that "range anxiety" canard once people start comparing real world numbers.

Uhhm, so the range of the Fisker Karma with its range extending internal combustion engine, a fully charged battery and a full tank of gas is... 230 miles, according to the EPA. And the range of the fully electric Model S, with no ICE or combustible gas tank, is 265 miles, according to the same EPA. It will be interesting to see what happens to that "range anxiety" canard once people start comparing real world numbers.

To be fair... the obvious difference there is that you can quickly refuel a Karma. Though, I do wonder how far you go with a full tank and empty battery.