Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cartoon: Fisker folly - Politics Blog - The Detroit News

042913_FiskerTaxpayers_UFSCOLOR.jpg

This may be true, but it doesn't change what I am saying.

It was extremely risky for DOE to loan money to Tesla. I'm VERY happy that DOE made the loan, but it was almost absurdly risky at the time and no less risky than loaning money to Fisker.

DOE finalized the loan program around November 2008 and awarded its financing to auto companies starting in June 2009. At the end of October 2008, Tesla was down to $9M in cash, which insiders described as a "dire" situation. The automotive press was salivating over what was looking like a juicy disaster, and trashier publications like "The Truth About Cars" gleefully published "Tesla Death Watch" updates on a regular basis. Elon Musk himself credits Daimler for saving Tesla with a $50M investment in late May 2009: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/05/elon-musk-the-credit-for-saving-tesla-should-go-to-daimler/

So at the time Tesla would have been applying for DOE loans, the company was in a state of near collapse, with barely any shipping product, and a founder who was out of capital and getting help from friends to keep a roof over his head. It doesn't matter if someone says they will throw all their money into a company if all they have left is $0. Add all the management drama to the mix, and Tesla looked utterly finished.

I think Elon Musk is a visionary and quite possibly a genius, but there was simply no way to know in late 2008 through 2009 that he would be able to get the company to where it is today.

Again, ALL investment in leading-edge and possibly game changing technology is "high risk". There is no guarantee of return, ever, in such ventures. This stuff is trial and error, and for every success, there are lots and lots of failures.

There is no point in beating DOE over its loan to Fisker, because no matter who DOE loaned money to, they were going to lose money on some ventures.
It's the nature of the game. If people want to debate whether DOE should even be involved in the game, that's a different matter entirely which I don't care to discuss.

Very nice recap , I'm going to post it to Fisker buzz with your permission..

The only argument I have against Fisker getting the loan was that they were pretty clear from the start that they weren't developing any new tech, but merely packaging it. However, you're right that there really weren't any other choices and Fisker always was the 2nd strongest EV startup.

Part of the problem with giving government money at times: "well we have to spend it, find somewhere to dump the money." IMO, if there wasn't a good candidate then don't spend the <bleep/> money. Last I checked we are very in the red.

I don't believe we are even close to being in the red on the advanced vehicle fund.
First, when congress created the program, they set aside 7.5 Billion for losses because they knew investing in cutting edge tech was very risky.
Two, the government doesn't spend a dime unless a company defaults on its loan.
Third, the government makes interest on the loans.
I don't know how much interest the loans have brought in so far. 9 Billion was loaned out. 175 Million has been lost from Fisker. That is about 2% of the outstanding loans and barely scratches the 7.5 Billion appropriated for the program.

Agree with Zythryn. It's easy enough to club all of Govt. spending into one big bucket and protest that it's deep in the red. The ATVM program by itself has surely done well overall with Ford and Nissan, the biggest recipients, paying their dues on time.

Had it not been for the Govt. to get into this business of jumpstarting such tech, we'd all not be driving the wonderful car that we are (despite Elon Musk giving the credit to Daimler primarily - I, for one, put my deposit down for the Model S right after the loan was granted). Private investors tend to be too shortsighted to have such vision. Agreed that there's loads of wasteful spending elsewhere but, the ATVM program has done well overall; it's indeed unfortunate that the adverse political climate throttled the loan-giving process to some other potential recipients who could have survived with that help.

Again I say Fisker got the loan because, after Tesla, who else?

Remember: DOE rejected most of the electric car startups that wanted loans - GigaOm Tech News and Analysis

Were any of these less of a risk or more worthy than Fisker?

I followed Aptera through most of their life and death. The concept was spectacular and worthy of getting the funds. The problem came from weak management that, if they had gotten the funds, would have squandered them. The management, under Paul Wilbur, lost sight of what the vehicle was all about. There would still be a small market for such a vehicle even today. The Aptera was the only one on the list worthy of consideration with about 10 prototypes. Coda didn't have enough American content to deserve funds.

For me, I'm glad Fisker got the funds and I'm very sorry they failed. They deserved the opportunity to succeed. They had a bad run of luck.

And don't forget that the ATVM program that gave Tesla and Fisker their loans was a roundabout way to prevent Ford from filing for bankruptcy like GM. That's why they got the bulk of the funds at $5.9 billion compared to Teslas miniscule $465 million.

So Bob's going to drop the baddest engine he can fit in there. Will it handle okay? Will the brakes work well enough? I can see rockstars wrapping these things around power poles. Hopefully the Karmas can handle the insane speeds they will be capable of.

cool!!! it's about flippin time. if they'd done that in the first place they'd probably still be around. hopefully they can improve the interior too. I already like what they've done w the front end. major improvement..

The most likely play IMO is that Lutz is after the "hard assets" - unsold cars and spare parts rumored to be warehoused somewhere in Europe that are needed to produce Destinos. Co-bidder Wanxiang will take the 80-90% completed engineering for the Atlantic and build it in China for the home market. Unanswered questions in this scenario:

1) Will Lutz set up a parts and service business for the 2000 Karmas on the road that are potential Destino retrofits or donor cars? This could be a profitable business for VL while they are ramping up Destino sales, and they should be getting all of those hard assets for pennies on the dollar. If not, will some other entity step in to provide the parts/service backstop and buy parts inventory from VL? This is the key question for current Karma owners.

2) If Wanxiang produces the Atlantic in/for China, will they ever export it to the U.S. or Europe?

I'm personally rooting for VL/Wanxiang to succeed with their bid vs. Henrik/Richard Li. I've already experienced one incarnation of Fisker Automotive run by Henrik and it was expensive. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Musk is an entrepreneur, who made partnerships with Panasonic, Toyota and Diamler.
Fisker was a fashion designer who made no such partnerships.
This was the reason for Fiskers failure.

No, the bad luck/design of the fans which led to the fire(s), the destruction of the Sandy Karmas and the bankruptcy or their sole battery supplier hurt as well, but his lack of business experience and lack of engineering focus doomed the product.

The fundamental reason for the failure of Fisker Automotive is that it was led by and populated by executives from big car companies with no startup experience. Henrik had led a design studio, but had never managed a product line much less a car company. This led to many bad decisions that sunk the company:

1) Ridiculously optimistic forecast of 15,000 first year sales of a new $100K car from a new company in a new unproven market.
2) Purchasing inventory against that optimistic forecast and tying up hundreds of millions of $$ of expensive cash, since they had no bank credit available.
3) Delivering the first cars before that were thoroughly tested, resulting in unhappy early customers.
4) Not understanding that a startup must make the first customers successful or there will be no follow on customers. Fisker believed that end customer handholding was the responsibility of the dealers, who were not equipped to diagnose or fix the quality issues that existed in the first cars.
5) Following the big car company marketing strategy of using advertising (WSJ, Vanity Fair) to create brand awareness. Virtually ignoring guerrilla marketing via the Internet and leveraging word-of-mouth from the happy customers who emerged 6 months later when they got all of the bugs out of the product.

Yes, they had some bad luck with the 2 fires, the bad battery in the CR car and Hurricane Sandy. But they were already set up for failure with the company DNA the big auto company guys created. You would have thought that the venture guys were have recognized this as one of the greatest risks to FA's success and given them guidance on how you run a startup company vs. a big car company division. Oh well...

Last edited:
No one has talked about one glaring difference between Tesla and Fisker ... vision. Vision that permeates throughout the culture of the company. As far as I know, Henrik's vision was to make a sexy car (don't need to go into my negative reaction to it the fist time I saw it). It's all about design. But when you read Elon's blog from 5 years ago, there was a vision for what Tesla would become. Every employee I've talked with at Tesla shares that vision - shuttle bus driver, sales person, shop floor, marketing. They are all on board.

If you've ever worked for a startup, you know what a difference it makes when every single employee is pulling together towards a common goal. I know Tesla has that in their corner ... did Fisker?

1) Ridiculously optimistic forecast of 15,000 first year sales of a new $100K car from a new company in a new unproven market.

This is really the big one, which led to many of the subsequent bad decisions. Drinking this Kool-Ade directly led A123 into bankruptcy.

I was always very skeptical of this number. If the car was a knock-it-out-of-the-park success, like the Model S, then these numbers were possible. There were too many compromises on the engineering for that to happen. I was expecting sales similar to the Roadster.

No one has talked about one glaring difference between Tesla and Fisker ... vision.

+1!

No one has talked about one glaring difference between Tesla and Fisker ... vision. Vision that permeates throughout the culture of the company. As far as I know, Henrik's vision was to make a sexy car (don't need to go into my negative reaction to it the fist time I saw it). It's all about design. But when you read Elon's blog from 5 years ago, there was a vision for what Tesla would become. Every employee I've talked with at Tesla shares that vision - shuttle bus driver, sales person, shop floor, marketing. They are all on board.

If you've ever worked for a startup, you know what a difference it makes when every single employee is pulling together towards a common goal. I know Tesla has that in their corner ... did Fisker?

Mmhmmmz!