Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Five Electric Cars That Want to Kill Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we have him comparing ugly,60 mile range cars, or cars that run on hydrogen ( yea like that is easy to get ) to a car you can drive for weeks,on an overnight charge. Seat 4 adults in comfort.look good doing it. I like the way he took the most expensive Tesla and compared it to the cheapest " Fix it again Tony" .

Here are the takeaways from this as a serious buyer

- Not ONCE did they mention the range of any of these vehicles.
- The other cars are not too appealing, but too each their own. I quite like the Fiat, but Fiat has always looked in such a way.
- The fuel cell car is a joke and I have not seen viable evidence of its usefulness nor is there infrastructure.
- NONE of these cars have Tesla's infrastructure.
- I would argue that them throwing around the price tag of 100k is disingenuous at best. Teslas are 80k, yes still VERY expensive, but it still is a red flag.

I have never been convinced before that the media/oil/status quo is trying to burn out Tesla, but now I am for some reason watching this.

My biggest point on this video: Why hate? Why aren't they just celebrating all these alternative vehicles? Why focus on Tesla? Why not the BMW i8? It is obviously Tesla hate driven.

This is the usual moronic comparison that the media produces. Yeah, the Fiat is going to eat Tesla's lunch, just like the ICE Fiats eat ICE BMWs' lunches. Utterly stupid, but that's our media today.

Not to mention that Fiat/Chrysler is losing a bundle on each one they sell, and they are only available in CARB states. So I can't actually buy a Fiat 500E. So not really looking to beat Tesla, more just there to generate some CARB credits.

I waited around for 20 minutes thinkin maybe something interesting.... 20 minutes I'll never get back!

What a pathetic display of utter ignorance mixed in with a bit hyperbole and outright misrepresentation.

We of course KNOW that just the BATTERY which costs $50,000 is more than a whole competitive car like the Fiat.

And let's not forget Audi's X killer that has a 375 mile range! (when the battery technology arrives certainly in about 3 years or so.... then.... look out!). insert extreme oozing sarcasm here.

Other side is that clearly since they still don't get it, more room for profit from stupid shorts! :)

I had to laugh when I saw the video - a car that can charge in only 2 and a half hours? Don't even bother if you can't charge at 90 kW or faster - even EV early adopters would rather not wait that long, and this is a deal breaker for the other 99% of the general public. The competitors' vehicles that aren't even available yet are still inferior in every way to the Model S. When the Model E comes out, Tesla will rule the world. I better get some more stock...

Weird. By this definition you can put any generator you like in the vehicle (including nuclear...hm) and call it electric as long as some portion of the drivetrain is electric.

I don't want to start a purity war again, but it's not just a matter of "some portion". An FCV is a serial hybrid, which implies it has everything a BEV has, apart from a big battery. They're sometimes written FCEV just to emphasize that fact.

The question is what's under discussion when people refer to it as "electric". An FCV should feel like a BEV, for example.

Last edited:
I don't want to start a purity war again, but it's not just a matter of "some portion". An FCV is a serial hybrid, which implies it has everything a BEV has, apart from a big battery. They're sometimes written FCEV just to emphasize that fact.

The question is what's under discussion when people refer to it as "electric". An FCV should feel like a BEV, for example.
Agreed regarding the purity. I'm just not clear on what makes something "not" an "electric vehicle" by these varying definitions. Is an RC car an electric vehicle? Some are pretty much BEVs, so "yes" to those. What if you put an ICE in them and it's responsible for the entire propulsion but the remote control is electronic.. does it still qualify?

Anyway, your description helps a little but it often feels to me like people trying to call a tomato a fruit so that they can just say "slippery slope" 2 minutes later and the distinctions become entirely meaningless.

An FCV is a hydrogen car in the same way that a gasoline car is a gasoline car and a diesel car is a diesel car.

Only a BEV can be an electric car.

Trying to call an FCV electric is just another attempt to confuse the public, and to perpetuate the relevance of the oil companies (the only current supplier of hydrogen).

It is important to distinguish between the fuel source of a car and its drivetrain. The fuel source is more important.

Last edited: