Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixed my squeaky seat (issue I haven't seen on the forums)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a 2021 M3 performance. After about a month of driving I started to notice a loud squeak in my seatback. Like I'm sitting in an old leather recliner. I searched the forums and it seems like most of the discussions had to do with the seat base. My squeak was coming from the seat back.

I removed the plastic shell from the back of the seat, using what I learned on this forum, and had one of my kids sit up front and press back hard and jiggle left and right. I noticed the noise was coming from the top right of the seat where the metal rods that hold the plastic support enters the seat frame. I reached up and found that there was a plastic grommet that was free floating up there, no longer attached to the frame.

I pressed that guy back in and voila! No squeak!

20210913_153542.jpg
20210913_153600.jpg
20210913_153615.jpg

Hey, thanks for posting your very timely thread. Recently, the back of my seat has been making a creaking noise, but only when the seat moves from the (lower) Easy Entry position to the (higher & forward) drive position. The seat is completely silent at all other positions and silent during all other movements. I have not been able to figure out what is making the creaking noise during this one very specific movement. Your observation/post could provide the resolution to my particular issue. I’ll have to remove my seat cover and see if a loose grommet is the culprit. Thanks!!

I recently purchased a 2021 M3 performance. After about a month of driving I started to notice a loud squeak in my seatback. Like I'm sitting in an old leather recliner. I searched the forums and it seems like most of the discussions had to do with the seat base. My squeak was coming from the seat back.

I removed the plastic shell from the back of the seat, using what I learned on this forum, and had one of my kids sit up front and press back hard and jiggle left and right. I noticed the noise was coming from the top right of the seat where the metal rods that hold the plastic support enters the seat frame. I reached up and found that there was a plastic grommet that was free floating up there, no longer attached to the frame.

I pressed that guy back in and voila! No squeak!

View attachment 708961View attachment 708962View attachment 708963

I have this same exact problem, makes me crazy. Waiting for the weather to cool off so hopefully I can find the same thing. Thank you for posting this! To remove the seat back, you remove the headrest, correct?

Tim

Last edited:
This is awesome! I have a squeak in the drivers' seat in our Model X... given that they're the same frame, I'm going to remove the rear shell and see what I can find. Thank you!

So forget the cool weather, headed out to the garage just now. Removed the headrest (super easy) and the back shell folded right down. Saw the same black clip. Pushed it back up into the metal hole and made sure it was seated properly. Shell up, headrest down, no more squeak. THANK YOU!

Tim
No problem! Glad I could help you guys out. I also noticed that the seat feels a lot more sturdy now. Without the grommet, there was extra play in the seatback.

No problem! Glad I could help you guys out. I also noticed that the seat feels a lot more sturdy now. Without the grommet, there was extra play in the seatback.

Sure, it’s after midnight but what the hey …. Figured I’d have to give it a try. Sure enough; the 2020 Model X has *exactly* the same seat frame; just the fabric and padding are different!

Loose grommet - CHECK! Fixed. Seat is definitely more solid. But I still had a squeak.

That I was able to minimize (it’s not 100% gone I don’t think) by rearranging the plastic covers under the seat rail, believe it or not. I’m going to go back in there with felt tape when I’m not running on a couple hours of sleep.

But thank you SO much for this thread — the grommet was a game changer in the back support for sure!

PS - the sticker inside my seat has a box for “saftey kit” …. Yes, safety is spelled incorrectly. Doesn’t give ya the warm and fuzzy for detail, does it?!

Attachments

• 4E395E74-175E-4F67-8DB1-7DD71051D7DA.jpeg
    4E395E74-175E-4F67-8DB1-7DD71051D7DA.jpeg
    542.4 KB · Views: 671
  • B7C93904-80B0-43F3-B2DF-3CDE98D7B8B5.jpeg
    B7C93904-80B0-43F3-B2DF-3CDE98D7B8B5.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 687
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX
Success!! The grommet on my right side support rod had not slid down, like most everyone else’s. Initially, when I reached up into the back rest frame to feel for that grommet, it appeared to be fully seated and not loose at all… which was kind of disappointing because I was hoping to see an obviously loose grommet which would give me hope that this was indeed the cause of the creaking noise.

However, when I pushed up on the grommet with a little more pressure, I felt and heard a slight click. So, that grommet was ever so slightly loose and not fully locked into position after all. I thought to myself, there‘s no way one slightly loose grommet could be the cause of the rather loud creaking noise that I was hearing and feeling. However, sure enough, after snapping the shell back on and testing the movement of the seat as it goes from the Easy Entry position to the Drive position, the creaking noise is gone!!

Tim, I think your hunch is correct and suspect that grommet will pop out again. So, perhaps I should go back in and apply some tape or glue…

American design and assembly at its best!!!

Reactions: mvedda and TBrownTX