Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixed my squeaky seat (issue I haven't seen on the forums)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to create an account to do it, but I just wanted to add to the thanks! I came across your solution doing a google search. I picked up my MYP in June, and it started with the squeaky drivers seat about 2 weeks ago, it drove me crazy.... For me, when I hit the acceleration hard, I got pushed back into my seat, and it would make a creaky, fart-like noise. I popped off the headrest and the back seat cover just unfolded -- I didn't have to pop it off. Sure enough, the little plastic part was loose and hanging off the right metal rod. Popped it back in, but cut up my thumb and finger doing it -- be careful with that. After that, no more noises, and the back feels more supportive.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

I been having this squeak that show up when making turns or when my weight shifts… I could have sworn it was from the back seats.
However it was from the drivers seat with this exact problem! I was about to take the car in this week!
Thanks OP!!

Attachments

• 56BD1689-B7BC-4899-90A8-3B68552E05D1.jpeg
    56BD1689-B7BC-4899-90A8-3B68552E05D1.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 533
  • 555B005A-9038-455F-9A27-9AD84FF04E86.jpeg
    555B005A-9038-455F-9A27-9AD84FF04E86.jpeg
    397.4 KB · Views: 326
I was looking through all the threads and was excited to try this fix but unfortunately all my grommets were in place. So I kept looking and found the creaks on both my seats. Fixed them with some low odor synthetic chain lube. Hoping it will last but I’ll make an update if the creaking comes back. It was coming from the lower corners at the back of the seats right above the rails. I had to pull back the plastic covers on the sides to get a better view. There’s a bolt holding the silver metal part to a black metal part that goes toward the backrest. I sprayed the lubricant in between the two and the creak went away immediately. I tried to show in the photo where I sprayed with the red arrow. Hope this may help those for whom the grommet fix didn’t help.

Attachments

• F6D68C36-6DE4-4B6B-883C-FF5E089425F6.jpeg
    F6D68C36-6DE4-4B6B-883C-FF5E089425F6.jpeg
    680.3 KB · Views: 335
Hi,
I wanted to thanks everyone that contributed to this thread. I had a terrible squeaking noise from my driver seat. I opened it and those black pieces were in place but still they made this noise. I turned and wiggled them. It helped. I just wonder for how long.
Pro tip: when unclipping the seat back cover pull it down and towards yourself, it will make it a lot easier.
Here is a video of squeak for verifying the problem.

Reactions: Charly Jazz
The right side bolster on my seat is squeaking like crazy... is this the same issue you guys solved in this thread?
The squeaking seats are a fairly common problem on the 3s. Although the squeak might not be coming from the exact same place, most of the time it is due to a similar underlying reason. Something is loose, or there is a piece of plastic rubbing against another plastic.

You can try what has been suggested in this thread and see if it fixes it. I tried, did not work, and took it to the service center, no more squeaky seat.

Mine is a 2022 M3 RWD, picked up in March and since the first week when I push my shoulders back, and hence, putting pressure onto the seat-back, it would squeak like old sofa. More so on my left shoulder and less on the right shoulder. Finally had couple of hours spare earlier and found this thread which is super helpful (thanks @JACKPAC).

The grommets were in place. However, they still squeak like crazy

NOTE - the rods were correctly inserted into the grommets and the grommets were seated securely. Anyway, I got some nylon-based tubes that I inserted over the top of the rod and into the grommet (sorry didn't take picture as it started raining) and am all happy now. I did both seats' rods and now they're quiet as I expected. The nylon-based tube I think it was a left-over from self-expanding foam can.

This issue is also driving me crazy!! When it first started happening, I arranged for a Tesla mobile engineer to come around to look at it. He confirmed it was the lumbar support grommet, and said he'd taped them up so now it wasn't squeaking anymore. This worked for a while but then it came back. So I then added it onto a Service Centre appointment that I'd arranged for also fixing a different fault. But as is typical with these things, the seat stopped squeaking on the drive up so they said they couldn't find a fault and didn't do anything.

Inevitably, the squeak has now returned, so I've booked into a Service Centre again, but the soonest appointment they had with a courtesy car isn't until mid-August and this squeak is so irritating that I don't want to wait that long! So today I removed the seat back and had a look myself. The squeak is coming from the right side grommet (if you're sitting behind the seat, looking forward), so I removed the tape that the service engineer put around it as it clearly wasn't working anymore. But the grommet was seated properly and I couldn't find any way to stop it squeaking just by wiggling it around. I thought about spraying some WD40 up in it, but then decided that Tesla may say that voids my warranty as I've tampered with the seat?

In fact, would Tesla say my warranty on the seat is now voided in any case for having taken the back off and removed the tape that the mobile engineer added? I took pictures of the squeaky grommet (now without tape) and the non-squeaky grommet (still with tape) to add to my Service Centre appointment to help point them in the right direction of where the squeak comes from. But now I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to show them those pictures from a warranty preservation perspective? I guess they'll see there's no tape on the right grommet now even if I don't show them the pictures, so they'll know I've been in there...?

Right side lumbar grommet (with tape removed by me) -

Lumbar - 1.jpeg

Left side lumbar grommet (with tape still on it) -

Lumbar - 2.jpeg

Same issue in my 2022 Model Y.
Tesla service center said it would be $168 to diagnose because squeaks are not covered under warranty, allegedly.
Saw this post and it was fixed in 5 minutes.

Attachments

• 2022 MY Seat.jpg
    2022 MY Seat.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 296
Reactions: TBrownTX
I recently purchased a 2021 M3 performance. After about a month of driving I started to notice a loud squeak in my seatback. Like I'm sitting in an old leather recliner. I searched the forums and it seems like most of the discussions had to do with the seat base. My squeak was coming from the seat back.

I removed the plastic shell from the back of the seat, using what I learned on this forum, and had one of my kids sit up front and press back hard and jiggle left and right. I noticed the noise was coming from the top right of the seat where the metal rods that hold the plastic support enters the seat frame. I reached up and found that there was a plastic grommet that was free floating up there, no longer attached to the frame.

I pressed that guy back in and voila! No squeak!

View attachment 708961View attachment 708962View attachment 708963
Thank you for the post.
I had the exact same problem on my 21 M3LR and your post was instrumental in getting it fixed.

I wish I had seen this sooner. I went to Tesla and they had to replace the seat. Mine started making noises after 2000 miles. They replaced the seat for free but the new seat is not as comfortable. My guess is that it's not made at the same plant as the original seat. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully this helps someone not get rid of their perfect seat except for the noise!

I fixed mine today. the 2 plastic pieces was in place, but the sqeek was still there, i turned the plastic pieces and the noise stopped.
i i filled the gap between the metalrod and plastic. with with some very thin silicone based tape, normally used for pipes.
so fingers x.