Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Fixed" no WiFi connection with double scroll-wheel push

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a bit strange. M3 SR could not locate any WiFi connection (in my garage) so could not get new OTA update loaded. Tried different solutions, even did a "Power Down" of the system. Eventually, out of desperation, tried the double scroll-wheel push. That connected me to my WiFi again.

Here's where I'm a bit flummoxed; I thought the Power Down command was more powerful then the two scroll-wheel push. Don't get it.

Rich

This is a bit strange. M3 SR could not locate any WiFi connection (in my garage) so could not get new OTA update loaded. Tried different solutions, even did a "Power Down" of the system. Eventually, out of desperation, tried the double scroll-wheel push. That connected me to my WiFi again.

Here's where I'm a bit flummoxed; I thought the Power Down command was more powerful then the two scroll-wheel push. Don't get it.

Rich

The power down is a deeper reboot than the two scroll wheel one, provided you let the car actually go to sleep. It isnt any different if you power it off, then open the door to turn it back on a couple minutes later. I dont know how long you let it sit after you powered it down, but when I recommend people do a power off, I also tell them to let it sit at least 15 minutes.

One day I sat out in my garage and timed my car actually going to sleep (contactor noise) after issuing a power off command. I tested it 3 different times, and it was 10 minutes one time, 8 minutes one time, and 12 minutes one time (for the distinctive contactor click).

• Informative
Reactions: drtimhill
My understanding is, once you hit the Power Off command you cannot leave the car for several minutes, is that correct? In other words, may I hit that command and get out of the EV?

Rich

When I do it, I leave the drivers door open before I push the command, then exit through the still open drivers door and shut it. That way I am outside the car. I leave it like that till the next time I plan on using the car. If you power off the car while inside, "watched pot" syndrome will kick in, and 5 minutes will feel like forever.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
When I do it, I leave the drivers door open before I push the command, then exit through the still open drivers door and shut it. That way I am outside the car. I leave it like that till the next time I plan on using the car. If you power off the car while inside, "watched pot" syndrome will kick in, and 5 minutes will feel like forever.
Thanks. Will give that a try.

Rich