Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE connectivity issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this issue on my MYLR. car was delivered end of September 2022 and worked faultlessly until March this year. Now it has connectivity issues pretty much every drive. There is no access to premium connectivity (Spotify not loading, no traffic info on nav, voice commands don’t work, no netflix, map backgrounds sometimes not present). Sometimes it does spring into life after a while but I’ve done 30 minute drives where it hasn’t worked the whole time.

I raised a support call and Tesla Bristol had the car for 2 weeks, they changed out comes cars and ran diagnostics but apparently couldn’t recreate the issue. When it didn’t work the logs reported “no signal” so just put it down to being in a low signal area. On getting the car back the problem was just the same though so I raised another support call.

I had a mobile service engineer out yesterday who now says it is a know issue following a software update in early March. It is seemingly affecting lots of M3 and some MY, but according to him it’s a problem with the network code issued by EE. if the car is in a low-signal area (2 bars or less) when attempting to connect to LTE (or switch from Wi-Fi) the car will refuse to connect, but then will seemingly not attempt to try again, hence the extended loss of signal.

Apparently they are now having more and more people report the issue and the software engineers are apparently working on it. He could only say that hopefully there will be a fix soon but couldn’t give any timescales, essentially saying we just have to put up with it until there’s a fix.

One possible ‘fix’ is to do a reset (holding both buttons on the steering wheel) which will force a connection attempt after a few minutes, but this will only help if you are in a high signal area when the reconnect attempt is made.

Reactions: Scotland41
I have a mobile service set for today. Tesla asked for times, days, and video. None of which I have. They then said mobile service wouldn’t be able to help and I should drop it off at service.

Until I get videos of this and note the dates and times I won’t bother dropping it off to service. Especially after your post.

Even if I could provide proof to Tesla without them being able to replicate it’s a wasted service visit.

Even if this gets fix the MCU has been getting slower and slower since purchasing the car. Things like the dash cam viewer can take minutes to come up and then minutes more to be able to select a video. I’ve tried multiple types of high end storage and it makes no difference. Web browser is slow to launch or refresh even with full bars. Speed test are great but the whole MCU interface is almost so slow as to be annoying at the least.

I’ve know several people who have older cars running the Intel 2.5 MCU and were able to get upgraded to Ryzen and it’s as fast as my car used to be when new before Tesla started loading in beta, all kind of games, and all kinds of features and enhancements.

Even if they fix this connection issue with software there are still plenty of issues these days on the Intel hardware.

Ryzen is plug and play I don’t know why they won’t do a swap, even if we pay for it.

Likewise I’d like to see the cell module updated. It’s getting dated, especially with everything you can pull down over premium connectivity these days.

Even if this gets fix the MCU has been getting slower and slower since purchasing the car. Things like the dash cam viewer can take minutes to come up and then minutes more to be able to select a video. I’ve tried multiple types of high end storage and it makes no difference. Web browser is slow to launch or refresh even with full bars. Speed test are great but the whole MCU interface is almost so slow as to be annoying at the least.

I have the Atom processor and no performance issues. Seems like you might have a *different* issue.

Tesla asked for times, days, and video.

I had to go through this with a GPS inaccuracy issue. It's a hassle. It feels like they doubt my truthfulness... "prove it or we don't believe you". Oh well, first-world problems.

I have a mobile service set for today. Tesla asked for times, days, and video. None of which I have. They then said mobile service wouldn’t be able to help and I should drop it off at service.

Until I get videos of this and note the dates and times I won’t bother dropping it off to service. Especially after your post.

Even if I could provide proof to Tesla without them being able to replicate it’s a wasted service visit.

I’ve know several people who have older cars running the Intel 2.5 MCU and were able to get upgraded to Ryzen and it’s as fast as my car used to be when new before Tesla started loading in beta, all kind of games, and all kinds of features and enhancements.

Even if they fix this connection issue with software there are still plenty of issues these days on the Intel hardware.

Ryzen is plug and play I don’t know why they won’t do a swap, even if we pay for it.

Likewise I’d like to see the cell module updated. It’s getting dated, especially with everything you can pull down over premium connectivity these days.
One tip for reporting…. Press and hold the car icon (one that brings up the controls menu) after approx 4 seconds it will show a message like ‘thankyou for reporting an issue’. This submits a bug report to Tesla including a screenshot, location, time/date etc. so no need to write down when it goes wrong, just submit the report showing that stuff isn’t working.

Also you can apparently use voice commands and say”report bug” followed by a short description of what’s happening. Again this gets submitted to Tesla against your account with a screenshot and log info so the techs can investigate.

I’m not sure if I’m having a software or hardware issue but I’ve recently lost LTE connectivity in my 2021 MYP running software v2023.12.5. The car will connect to my home WIFI without issues but now when I drive off it’ll take several minutes before it will connect to 3G. When it does connect to 3G it’s not stable and will disconnect and reconnect during my drive.

I have attempted to restart the system by holding down both scroll wheels. I’ve done this several times without success. I’ve even gone as far as powering down the car in the main menu under SYSTEM.

I’m not sure if anyone is having issues but I think this started when I updated the car to the latest version.

Oh I’m located in Vancouver BC Canada.
I'm in the USA, I have the same issue, it will connect if I do a soft reboot, We turned in a service request with the exact time it was doing it. Their response was,
The modem is going into airplane mode and this is a known issue, they are working on a firmware update. In the meantime, do a soft reboot to restore service. The good and bad part of driving a computer.

• Helpful
Reactions: BitJam
I'm in the USA, I have the same issue, it will connect if I do a soft reboot, We turned in a service request with the exact time it was doing it. Their response was,
The modem is going into airplane mode and this is a known issue, they are working on a firmware update. In the meantime, do a soft reboot to restore service. The good and bad part of driving a computer.
Forgot, 2023 model 3LR

I know this thread is dated but since FSD beta 27.6 / 27.7, I have been having LTE issues in my 2018 M3LR RWD where it kicks in after 5 minutes of being idle or have to reboot. Our 2022 MYLR AWD is on the same FSD version and doesn’t have this issue. Anyone else experiencing it? Tesla wants to charge me $240 to generally diagnose the issue.

Tesla charged me nothing to look it. But I'm warranty.

Ultimately Tesla service said it's a known software bug and would be resolved with some unknown version. That was about a month ago. No hardware issues were found.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tempino
I just ran into an issue with premium connectivity not working this morning and pretty much all day until I rebooted. Even Wi-Fi was disabled and I was prompted that it would be enabled after I restarted the car, as I attempted to use my own hotspot MiFi.

Finally, after getting off work, I rebooted and finally I had connection. I want to add that today was the coldest day in my area but honestly that should not matter, and my SOC was 59% when I began pre-conditioning before heading out on a 10 min drive to the commuter lot.

Someone recommended doing a full factory reset of the MCU, so I did that at the weekend. All week, I’ve been keeping my fingers crossed that it had fixed it….

Unfortunately tonight, mid way through a drive, yet again “not routing with traffic data” and Spotify cut out.. the car was offline again and the only way to restore connectivity is an MCU restart.

Absolutely terrible. It’s driving me insane

I keep reporting every failure (daily) in the open case I’ve got with Tesla. I’ve had to limp by with a WiFi hotspot. Which shows it’s clearly a cellular issue as everything is fine on WiFi.
My Wifi Hotspot is on O2 as well and has no issues with connectivity at home. There is a regular blackspot on my commute that my phone will drop connection for a minute or so but it recovers by itself but the car won't. If it did then caching a music track or two would make you not notice the issue. It would also be good if the sat nav preloaded the entire route when it has a signal rather than leave big black boxes on the screen when it drops out. It's not difficult to do and you can cache map areas in Google Maps for the same reason.

Did a quick search and it brought me here. My 2018 Model 3 is having this problem. It will connect to WiFi, but not cellular. Won’t allow me to do anything remote with my car (climate and charging two big ones). Submitted a service request today. The two button salute does nothing either. Also noticed that updates for the car won’t refresh, meaning the last time it searched was days ago. This is on WiFi too. Drove 30 minutes away and it never connected.

The same issue here, Model 3 2020. Also submitted a Service request yesterday.
When leaving the house, the signal it's ok, but after a few minutes the car lost the connectivity and I have to switch hotspot on.

Attachments

• 20231212_053417.jpg
    20231212_053417.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 52