Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire question MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a nail in tire, in about the same place last month, took it Discount Tire. Got the whole "What if" speech about if it's not repairable. It was just fine repaired and patched. @sidewinder picture of the repairable zone is a really good graphic, if your within it. Plug it and you'll be good. If you're feeling uneasy plug it, inflate the tire, then take it to your local tire shop and have them look at it.

As long as the plugged area contacts the road surface while operating, it will not leak and you will not be stranded. It will also NOT blow out or cause catastrophic failure unless you jump the curve straight on with high way speed, which undamaged normal tires will blow out as well in the same situation
I have experience with plugs. They leak regardless. It's a gamble if it will hold.

Spend a few dollars and do it right. Plugs are for a temporary fix not a permanent solution. I'm not going to argue with folks here about this but anyone who chooses to plug it and forget it is taking a gamble.

Just for a little background...I worked in a tire shop for a big name tire company when I was 18....which has been a little while ago now. I have seen a larger sample size of plugged tire both then and the years since.

Don't play Russian roulette. Have the tire fixed properly in accordance with the tire manufacturer recommendations...then forget about it 😁

I have experience with plugs. They leak regardless. It's a gamble if it will hold.

Spend a few dollars and do it right. Plugs are for a temporary fix not a permanent solution. I'm not going to argue with folks here about this but anyone who chooses to plug it and forget it is taking a gamble.

Just for a little background...I worked in a tire shop for a big name tire company when I was 18....which has been a little while ago now. I have seen a larger sample size of plugged tire both then and the years since.

Don't play Russian roulette. Have the tire fixed properly in accordance with the tire manufacturer recommendations...then forget about it 😁
My 4 year old tire on my Honda says otherwise.
I plugged one of them a year ago and it still holds the same amount of pressure/air as the other three.
You need to practice more or learn how to plug it properly.

• Funny
Reactions: 240vPlug
My new MYLR got a piece of screw in one of the tires last night and I plugged it. What I didn’t know was that once you plug a tire it’s no longer repairable at a shop. And with a long distance trip coming up I decided to be on the safer side and buy a new tire. If I had known this I would have borrowed a spare from Tesla roadside assistance and had the tire repaired properly at a tire shop.

My new MYLR got a piece of screw in one of the tires last night and I plugged it. What I didn’t know was that once you plug a tire it’s no longer repairable at a shop. And with a long distance trip coming up I decided to be on the safer side and buy a new tire. If I had known this I would have borrowed a spare from Tesla roadside assistance and had the tire repaired properly at a tire shop.
If they told you that. You need a new tire shop.

• Funny
Reactions: 101dals
Oh really? It was America's Tire / Discount Tire... I did a quick search before going ahead with it and most articles seemed to say the same.
Probably some kind of corporate requirement, logically there's no reason why a Plug would inhibit the patching of the inside of the tire. They would simply cut off the plug sticking into the tire, and grind/buff the inside of the tire as they always do. I googled this myself and of course as expected there are responses from "of course you can" to "you can never patch or plug any tire". Discount tire's response is a repair can never overlap another repair, which in itself is misleading. This would not be an overlapping repair, it would be the same repair. At least that's my interpretation.

Discount tire's response is a repair can never overlap another repair, which in itself is misleading. This would not be an overlapping repair, it would be the same repair. At least that's my interpretation.
That's a valid point. Their argument was that the combo plug they use would just go straight through the existing hole and not make a safe seal.

I think I panicked when I heard the hiss coming from the tire and quickly decided to plug it. But my biggest takeaway from this experience was that I should have taken advantage of the loaner tire from the free roadside assistance.

That's a valid point. Their argument was that the combo plug they use would just go straight through the existing hole and not make a safe seal.

I think I panicked when I heard the hiss coming from the tire and quickly decided to plug it. But my biggest takeaway from this experience was that I should have taken advantage of the loaner tire from the free roadside assistance.
Was the Plug leaking air? If not should have been perfectly fine, given it was in a repairable section of the tire tread.

my biggest takeaway from this experience was that I should have taken advantage of the loaner tire from the free roadside assistance.
Oh wait, I just learned that you must repair the tire at Tesla SC in order to qualify for the wheel loaner program... so, this may not be ideal, either.
Was the Plug leaking air? If not should have been perfectly fine, given it was in a repairable section of the tire tread.
It was not leaking air. And perhaps it would have been fine, but I had pretty low confidence with my plugging job 😓 (which is why I wanted to have it checked by a professional).