Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,
I have had a MYP for about 8 months… recently got a flat. I have the stock Pirelli tires.
I’m about 150 miles from the closest SC and no tire store can get a replacement tire for about a week…. shitty situation where I’m stuck without a car for a week over a flat tire. I brought this concern up to the sales agent when I got the car but he assured me it was no big deal and the mobile service truck would just come out and change my tire out on the side of the road…. Prior to this I haven’t had a flat in 10+ years (I know these cars are more prone to getting flats)

Anyway, I was seeing if anyone has any advice on avoiding something like this in the future…. These tires are expensive… Do yall keep a spare on hand in the garage to avoid this?
Or any recommendations on cheaper/less specialized wheels/tires that are less likely to be damaged and easier to replace?

Thanks, really like the car but situations like this make me question if its worth it.

Reactions: WyoDude
...Do yall keep a spare on hand in the garage to avoid this?...
I do.

jDpsBfI.jpg

Some type of flat repair is essential— either the aerosol goop or old school plugs - and an inflator. I carry plugs and an inflator. Tesla offers their official repair & inflator accessory. Back in the day, carmakers used to provide them with new cars if they did not have a spare. Now, nobody includes them.

If I were you, I would get a repair kit from a nearby auto parts store, plug it, and then pump it up.

Reactions: Dennisis
Yes, plug it for sure if possible - you didn't mention what caused it so it may not be reparable. Attach a pic if you'd like opinions. Youtube has helpful video's. I've been plugging flats since my teens at my brother's Getty station in NY and have never had one fail, though a retired tire-rep tried to convince me I'd go through hell on the witness stand if one did (BMW forum). Sure can save you a bunch of time and money!

the 19s are more available but none of the tire shops stock even the 19s around here. I will probably get a spare that I will rotate in. Just had to replace one tire after 5,000 miles due to multiple screw punctures. Like you, I had gone many years without flats. I would say the last three years I have had 4 punctures on two different vehicles. I guess I am making up for it now?

Yeah, thanks everyone…
I’ll probably do both.
My wife was driving when it went flat… then drove 2 miles (slow) on it to the house.. its completely destroyed now.
didn’t call me until she was in the driveway

I just noticed on Tesla's site for the repair kit: "...The damaged tire should be replaced, along with the TPMS sensor, at your earliest convenience."

Why would you also replace the TPMS sensor, wouldn't you just move it to the new one?

I just noticed on Tesla's site for the repair kit: "...The damaged tire should be replaced, along with the TPMS sensor, at your earliest convenience."

Why would you also replace the TPMS sensor, wouldn't you just move it to the new one?
That slime garbage is pretty destructive to TPMS sensors and makes a huge mess, which is why I’d never use it.

Buy a plug kit and a compressor.

They didn't have anything that would fit, or they didn't have a replacement tire? I ask, because when it happened to me, discount tire gave me a loaner tire that I could use for a week, while my actual replacement tire was shipped in.

I keep a compressor and tire repair kit in the trunk. It limits me to screws, bolts and nail type issues but figure it could get me where I need to go.
None of my last few cars had spares. And I’ve generally been lucky when I do get a nail it’s a 1-3 PSI a week leak.

Fix-a-flat style or Slime won’t work due to foam pad in tire.

Attachments

• 7F10E4EB-9EAD-453A-B229-28513344CF27.jpeg
    7F10E4EB-9EAD-453A-B229-28513344CF27.jpeg
    550.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Reactions: zpaul