Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tire Repair Kit from Telsa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lowtek

Jan 2, 2020
Alabama, USA
Good morning all!

I've had a slow leak that I've been tracking on one of my tires, can't find the hole.

Does anyone know the brand of the Emergency Tire Repair Kit that Tesla sells so I can find a source and have it next-day aired to me? The Tesla Shop would take about a week.

Or other suggestions ... I'm not calling roadside for a slow leak, the horror stories sound like they would end up doing more harm than good in the cases where they need to jack the car.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
Yea, that's where I'm headed, but I wanted the kit for emergencies, but I need a way to add air at home, my compressor is at my shop. I'll just pickup a cheap one for the house. Tire is at 13psi, can't drive it that low.

Any issues with shops putting the car up on jacks? Do I still need the jack points for that?

Yes, I would take jack pads with me. 13psi yikes that is low! I have a small compressor from Harbor Freight works great, just don't use any of the fittings. Pick up some nice ones from a big box store the HF ones leak no matter how much teflon tape you use.

Good morning all!

I've had a slow leak that I've been tracking on one of my tires, can't find the hole.

Does anyone know the brand of the Emergency Tire Repair Kit that Tesla sells so I can find a source and have it next-day aired to me? The Tesla Shop would take about a week.

Or other suggestions ... I'm not calling roadside for a slow leak, the horror stories sound like they would end up doing more harm than good in the cases where they need to jack the car.

Thanks for any advice!

When I have a slow leak, I add air to the tire to about 50 pounds, and then sponge lots of soapy water all over the tire and let it sit about ten minutes. When I come back, I look for the little mound of tiny soap bubbles. I've never NOT been able to find any slow leak in the sixty years I've been driving.

Any tire plug kit from anybody, Target, Walmart, whoever, will plug a hole in your tire, though I prefer the ones made from rubberized fiber. Even with foam inside, the plug still stops it. You don't need to pull the tire to put a patch on the inside. I've been plugging tires for decades, and they don't lose air until you pull the tire off the wheel when you're done with it.

Good morning all!

Thanks for any advice!

You should not fear Roadside Assistance. They are Tesla trained and have a local relationship with nearby Service Centers. They will most likely give you a loaner wheel and take your wheel to the SC for a free repair. Yes they carry multiple different Tesla issued wheels on their truck. In a week or so, you can stop by the SC and have it swapped back. The only exception is if tire needs to be replaced, you pay for that. Don’t make it hard on yourself. Just enter a request through the app, and wait for a response, 24/7. Super easy and reliable. Included with the car.

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: Type 5 and lowtek
When I have a slow leak, I add air to the tire to about 50 pounds, and then sponge lots of soapy water all over the tire and let it sit about ten minutes. When I come back, I look for the little mound of tiny soap bubbles. I've never NOT been able to find any slow leak in the sixty years I've been driving.

Any tire plug kit from anybody, Target, Walmart, whoever, will plug a hole in your tire, though I prefer the ones made from rubberized fiber. Even with foam inside, the plug still stops it. You don't need to pull the tire to put a patch on the inside. I've been plugging tires for decades, and they don't lose air until you pull the tire off the wheel when you're done with it.
I repaired my first puncture this weekend with a fiber plug kit that I had. What happens to the foam on the inside? I am so curious I painted the tire on the inside so I know where the puncture was. When I need new tires I'll find out!

Well, found the leak. It's been cleverly avoiding me, face down on the pavement. Whatever it is the head is about 3/4 inch wide. Here's a pic. I'm no expert here but seems like this is embedded enough that a new tire is in order.

I tried Tesla roadside, they want to tow it 200 miles away to Tesla, Decatur GA. Didn't give any indication they would attempt to fix it on site. So much for Tesla roadside assistance. Also said they would charge me for it because it's more than 50 miles.

I fear pulling it to fix myself will render the car un-drivable to the closest place I can have it replaced/serviced.

To make matters worse, nobody can get a Scorpion 285/35ZR22 until next Wednesday. I don't mind it sitting but I'm supposed to drop it off to get it wrapped on Tuesday morning. This guy has a 2 month waiting list.

Thoughts?

Tire.jpg

Hi Lowtek,

Take it to your favorite tire store - Discount tire, Best One, ????
They will take off the tire, pull the nail/screw and put in a plug.
Many of these places will not charge for the service...
Be sure you have the lifting pads or pucks so they wont damage
the car or the battery.
For my last encounter where there were 2 screws and a nail in the
same tire - They charged $25 for the remove, plug, and replace.
They had no problem with the silent foam in the tire.
They only charged me because of the third hole in the tire...

Good luck,

Shawn