Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Money well spent: tire repair kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a flat tire on interstate 80 out in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. Pressure dropped from 42 to 10 in about 2 minutes. Luckily the leak was easy to find. I fixed it in about 20 minutes with a $20 tire repair kit and a $35 inflator from Amazon. I’m really glad I bought them when I bought the car. I’m on my way across the country for the second time. I’m glad I didn’t have to spend three hours or something waiting for AAA.

This... I got a flat 20 minutes from home. Had to get a family member to pick up wife & kids paid $200 for a tow to Discount tire where I paid another $300 for a new tire (they said they couldn't repair it). Get a repair kit and battery powered inflator and keep it in the car. It at least gives you a chance of not having to pay for a tow and of course, time. My tow took 2 hours to arrive.

This... I got a flat 20 minutes from home. Had to get a family member to pick up wife & kids paid $200 for a tow to Discount tire where I paid another $300 for a new tire (they said they couldn't repair it). Get a repair kit and battery powered inflator and keep it in the car. It at least gives you a chance of not having to pay for a tow and of course, time. My tow took 2 hours to arrive.
If Discount Tire couldn’t repair it then I doubt a patch kit would have saved you anything.

But sometimes it’s all you need.

I always carry an inexpensive Monkey Grip plug kit and glue. Has a handle with reamer, some sticky glue and rubber plugs. Also a small air compressor. Also need a pair of pliars to pull out the nail/screw and pair of gloves. Led headlight helps to locate the offending penetrator.

Depending on how the repair goes I will consider it a permenant repair, or just a temporary fix till I can get a new tire.

Reactions: ultramyp
I'll bring a road side emergency kit on long drives. It's one I put together. Might be time to update it though. 😁

IMG_6543.JPG

I was thinking, yeah, probably should get a plug kit and a small compressor, no biggie. Then I remembered, probably need a jack and a lug wrench too. Dang, seems like a lot. I don’t have the foam tires, so could try a slime kit and a compressor. Would sacrifice the TPMS sensor more than likely. Plugs tend to work way better though.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I always carry an inexpensive Monkey Grip plug kit and glue. Has a handle with reamer, some sticky glue and rubber plugs. Also a small air compressor. Also need a pair of pliars to pull out the nail/screw and pair of gloves. Led headlight helps to locate the offending penetrator.

Depending on how the repair goes I will consider it a permenant repair, or just a temporary fix till I can get a new tire.
I need to get some pliers!

just added a plug kit after the last car had I leak that I could feel, otherwise the 4 other tire issues I have had in my life a plug kit wouldn't help. Two slow leaks, one unfindable leak and a blowout.

I still keep a slime kit with inflator in the car as well.

Plug kit that I used:

Inflator that I used:

I make no claims these are the best, or even better than average. They worked for me. BTW the handles on the reamer and plug-inserter are held on with two allen head set screws (on each). The handle of the plug-inserter pulled off as I was trying to remove it from the tire. The kit comes with a little allen wrench so I was able to put it back on and tighten the set screws very tight. That did the trick.

I made it the rest of the way home (from outside Rawlins, Wyoming to Santa Cruz, CA) with no loss of pressure. My friend who is a tire expert says just keep driving on it.

I just bought that one. Now I just need to add some pliers. I keep this DeWalt 20v Compressor in my car. It has a 12v plug in case the battery runs down. If I ever get the Porsche aluminum Jack, I may add the DeWalt impact driver and try to find a way to pull 12v into the frunk to keep a battery charged. I wish that compressor would charge a battery. I assume other vendors might have a similar setup that would.

Plug kit that I used:

Inflator that I used:

I make no claims these are the best, or even better than average. They worked for me. BTW the handles on the reamer and plug-inserter are held on with two allen head set screws (on each). The handle of the plug-inserter pulled off as I was trying to remove it from the tire. The kit comes with a little allen wrench so I was able to put it back on and tighten the set screws very tight. That did the trick.

I made it the rest of the way home (from outside Rawlins, Wyoming to Santa Cruz, CA) with no loss of pressure. My friend who is a tire expert says just keep driving on it.
This is just a cheap knock off of the safety seal kit that is made in the USA.

I may add the DeWalt impact driver and try to find a way to pull 12v into the frunk to keep a battery charged.
It's just for emergencies. I think a manual lug tool handle would be all you need. It would be lighter and more reliable.

That said, I wish Tesla would have added a freaking outlet. My fam members with EV6 always chuckle at my Tesla and show me theirs. I threw an inverter in the trunk, then found out it won't work with 16V. I haven't tried plugging it in for fear of what might happen.