Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flooded Salvage Attempt: Another How-To

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Satoshi, you do realize that performing a true FEA analysis of your repaired Tesla is nearly impossible. As with any computational analysis program, the outputs are only as good as the inputs. To be able to realistically model your exact repair, you would have to be able to very, very accurately model the exact damage. This includes all dimensional characteristics, material properties including any physical changes resulting from the damage, and "realistic" modeling of the actual repairs performed (which are never going to be as pretty as you intend them to be). Quite honestly, suggesting that all repaired salvage cars should have a full blown FEA structural analysis shows your naivete.

I'm not one to put others' skills down, as I could be way off, but I doubt that you are a highly qualified TIG welder. It's not something that you pick up from a youtube video or a brief instruction.

a12.jpg

Brantse, it's exceedingly obvious you're just looking for things to complain about, surely you have better things to do with your time?

If Otmar conducts a crash analysis of his proposed design in relevant engineering software, I will have no complaints.

That's a significant and noteworthy distinction between "my activity" and "Otmar's activity" at this point in time.

Another 'significant and noteworthy distinction' is that Otmar's Stretchla is clearly not a factory-delivered vehicle. There is no negative publicity to Tesla if there is a problem. I might also point out that you have no idea of what analysis he has or has not performed. Nor should you have 'complaints' if he doesn't do what you decided he should do.

I have no idea why you brought Otmar's work into this discussion. He's been a continuing asset to the EV community, hasn't been publicly critical of Tesla's position, has just kept doing what he does.

This thread was deleted per my request 2 months ago.

This thread was literally revived from the deletion pile by a mod to incite an argument. Seriously, what a huge abuse of power by Bonnie.

Satoshi. I resigned from moderating in February 2015. That's over a year ago. It's pretty funny that you're accusing me of trying to incite an argument by doing something like reviving a deleted thread, since I can't do that.

As a result, I'm not ot sure what power you're accusing me of abusing.

Reactions: ModelX and dsm363
Satoshi. I resigned from moderating in February 2015. That's over a year ago. It's pretty funny that you're accusing me of trying to incite an argument by doing something like reviving a deleted thread, since I can't do that.

As a result, I'm not ot sure what power you're accusing me of abusing.

THEN HOW DID THIS THREAD GET UNDELETED!?!?!

Another 'significant and noteworthy distinction' is that Otmar's Stretchla is clearly not a factory-delivered vehicle. There is no negative publicity to Tesla if there is a problem. I might also point out that you have no idea of what analysis he has or has not performed. Nor should you have 'complaints' if he doesn't do what you decided he should do.

On a personal level, I agree.

In the interest of the political message I'm pushing, the complaint stands.

I have no idea why you brought Otmar's work into this discussion. He's been a continuing asset to the EV community, hasn't been publicly critical of Tesla's position, has just kept doing what he does.

I'll explain the significance of it to you via PM, for publicly explaining might defeat its purpose.

Feel free to post both your pm and my reply. I have zero issues with that. And if you want to add an apology for your accusation of my 'serious abuse of powers', that would be okay with me, too. :)

K, Sorry.

The point was to disarm a potential Tesla employee who was reading by sympathizing with their position, and then offer a common ground to allow for easier negotiation between Tesla and the tinkering community.

If Otmar wants an apology for being bashed he is entitled to one... especially considering it doesn't seem to have had any effect on Tesla's position.

Otmar has a fine relationship with Tesla and is respected by many there. It's naive to assume that you're going to negotiate on his behalf.

1. Not on his behalf, but on everyone's behalf.

2. Tesla seems to be really 2-faced from what I have witnessed. I wouldn't be convinced if I was in his shoes.

Think of it this way:

If Otmar does a crash analysis in relevant engineering software, it makes it much more difficult for Tesla and others to claim "Consumer Ignorance on Safety" as their argument for a parts ban.

I don't care who Otmar is or what he's accomplished, I'm purely focused on pointing out the fact Tesla is covering up their illegal parts & service monopoly with a lie that if the right lawyer got involved could slap them with an anti-trust lawsuit.

How exactly will you conduct such an analysis?
You couldn't expect to build a full model of the car as used in simulations - that would require a very substantial investment of time. I'd be surprised if you could even model the A-pillar, as even that would be a significant effort.

How exactly will you conduct such an analysis?
You couldn't expect to build a full model of the car as used in simulations - that would require a very substantial investment of time. I'd be surprised if you could even model the A-pillar, as even that would be a significant effort.

I did more complex FEAs than a car in highschool for an intro to engineering course, I got this.

Also our University will be designing an electric formula racecar next fall, and I can volunteer to learn the crash test analysis stuff cause they need someone to learn how to do it anyway, so I kill 2 birds with one stone. (Serving my purposes and the uni's purposes).

So not only do I got this as is, but also in the near future will have this down to the point it will be judged by industry experts at competition.

I did more complex FEAs than a car in highschool for an intro to engineering course, I got this.

Also our University will be designing an electric formula racecar next fall, and I can volunteer to learn the crash test analysis stuff cause they need someone to learn how to do it anyway, so I kill 2 birds with one stone. (Serving my purposes and the uni's purposes).

So not only do I got this as is, but also in the near future will have this down to the point it will be judged by industry experts at competition.

I don't want to damp your enthusiasm here. I'm a student too, so I can understand taking on a project can be exciting (and I have way too many of them...)

But in order to do this, you're going to need precise engineering measurements and materials details for every part. You'll need to model how the material flexes under impact, for example, and do you know what steel or aluminium alloy that Tesla are using? Also, you'll need to make precise measurements of each dimension of the material.

Or you'll need CAD drawings and 3D models from Tesla which I'm sure are strictly confidential.