Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Floor mats on new AP 2.0 Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
I can't find the post but I heard that floor mats that are on the market today for the Model X won't properly fit the new ones coming out today with AP 2.0.

I don't know why this would be the case but thought to confirm before putting any money down.

I was actually looking at these in particular:

Anyone have thoughts on them or can suggest something better?

Amazon.com: ToughPRO Tesla Model X Floor Mats & Trunk Mats Set - All Weather - Heavy Duty- Black Rubber- 6 Seater -(2016-2017): Automotive

Thanks

There are now some official weathertech ones at the store on tesla.com, but they are missing the driver and passenger ones, and for the second row they state they are for VINs older than current builds (you can check your VIN and compare). I have an MX in production now and will wait until the correct weathertech ones are available. The unofficial ones look OK but don't look they have a good lip on the edges.

Reactions: MXWing
There are now some official weathertech ones at the store on tesla.com, but they are missing the driver and passenger ones, and for the second row they state they are for VINs older than current builds (you can check your VIN and compare). I have an MX in production now and will wait until the correct weathertech ones are available. The unofficial ones look OK but don't look they have a good lip on the edges.

Nice! When do you expect delivery of your MX?

I wonder what the differences are that would make those floor mats not compatible. And I wonder if we would get results faster/better price if we went through Weathertec as opposed to the Tesla store.

My DS said Dec 18, but it should be almost done with production now, so depending on transit to the east coast, hopefully I can get it a little earlier.

Someone wrote that the deal between tesla and weathertech let's tesla.com sell them exclusively for a year or something, so probably that's your only option. I agree the price for a full set would be pretty ridiculous. I have a 6-seater, they didn't announce any changes, but I'm hoping when they worked on the 5-seat config they also improved the 2nd-row seats on the 6 & 7's to address some of the gripes.. or maybe it's just a tiny change.

Well, I can't speak for the time the Tesla/Weathertech mats will be available for the whole car with new VINs, but a few notes.
  • Tesla / Weathertech mats look better (My opinion)
  • ToughPRO mats will be cheaper for the whole set
  • ToughPRO mats don't really need the lip since the honeycombs serve the same purpose. Weathertech mats are made to be one large catch basin vs the many individual catch basins. It actually makes more sense, but sort of makes it look ugly.
  • Some people on the forums here that own the ToughPRO mats say they had some wearing issues with them and prefer the Lloyd mats.

• Informative
Well, I can't speak for the time the Tesla/Weathertech mats will be available for the whole car with new VINs, but a few notes.
  • Tesla / Weathertech mats look better (My opinion)
  • ToughPRO mats will be cheaper for the whole set
  • ToughPRO mats don't really need the lip since the honeycombs serve the same purpose. Weathertech mats are made to be one large catch basin vs the many individual catch basins. It actually makes more sense, but sort of makes it look ugly.
  • Some people on the forums here that own the ToughPRO mats say they had some wearing issues with them and prefer the Lloyd mats.
A couple additional points from personal experience:
  • ToughPRO pluses
    • Fit well
    • Look so/so IMO: they don't look terrible and do the job
    • relatively inexpensive
  • ToughPRO minuses
    • Stunk up the car for over a month! (included air freshener did little to help cover up the heavy chemical odor)
    • Look so/so IMO: edges look unfinished, pattern cheapens appearance
    • getting a bit worn under the accelerator heal area already
Looking forward to replacing with WeatherTech for next winter (hopefully the front mats will be available by then).

• Informative
IMG_3553.JPG
My X was built after they started building the 22k vins. My vin is 19k. These mats are the ones that they say won't fit a post 22k. They straightened the curve that was at the wheel well on pre 22ks. Mine was built the same as the post 22ks. It really should say after a certain build date because they don't build them in order. I delayed my delivery to get AP2. It's not that big of a deal as only that small area isn't covered. Hope that helps!

I have an ap2 car and the complete toughpro mats. Everything fits perfectly except for the wheel well area (even then, its just a little area that is not covered) in the third row as posted above by Wise1919. The toughpro might not look the best but it does its job. It was pouring this past sunday and it trapped all the water as expected.

I have an ap2 car and the complete toughpro mats
Those mats look like they would be harder to clean than the Weathertech mats because their pattern creates a lot of crevices where dirt can build up.

In contrast the Weathertech mats have much shallower grooves but still enough of a pattern -- and a slightly textured surface -- so that they are not slippery.

How do you find cleaning your Toughpro mats?

They haven't gotten really dirty yet so I haven't really cleaned them. Just a simple vacuum the other day and it got all the dirt out. If it gets really dirty, I will just take them out and hose them down. That is what I use to do with my other cars with weather tech.

I installed the Tough Pro mats yesterday.

It does the job at a cheap price. Covers the carpet, sticks pretty well and won't be noticeable at all by anybody (so many other things to look at inside the car than the floor mats).

Weathertech dropped the ball by not releasing their floor mats soon enough. Probably paying half or less as well.

I think I am going to just order the ToughPRO mats. It's been non-stop precipitation (lots of snow) and the roads have been getting blasted with salt. We have been very careful & meticulous but the regular car mats are just not going to be as effective (kids...). I'm bummed that the Weathertechs still aren't updated for new VINs!

We just took delivery of our Model X last night and decided on the Lloyd's mats. They fit great and look pretty good. No smell at all. As far as fit goes, the only thing I notice at all is the cutouts for the areas around the two captains chairs in the back are slightly larger then the angled areas on the floor, but my wife didn't even notice that. I can't comment on how they will hold up of course, but pretty happy with the purchase

Literally just ten minutes ago installed the ToughPros I ordered off of Amazon. They seem fine. The "less attractive" appearance of them sort of fades away when they're in the car it seems. It's going to be the "rainy season" here in NorCal soon so I figured this was relatively inexpensive insurance to keep the carpets protected.

We also just installed the ToughPro mats last night. They did come with an air freshener in the box but we really didn't notice any odor from them. I was just in the car after them being in all night and didn't smell anything odd. Yeah they aren't as nice looking as the Husky mats we had in our Camry but they definitely do the job and the price isn't awful. We'll most likely order a set from Tesla once they have all the mats.

The rear cargo with the 3rd row down is a bit different from earlier builds notice the indentation on the plastic by the seat. My VIN 34xxx and noticed the difference from earlier X. Can anyone post any pictures of their cargo mats with the 3rd row down?

Attached 2 pictures for to view the difference.

Picture of earlier X
tesla-model-x-19.jpg

My X with the 3rd row down

IMG_3117.JPG

Last edited: