Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida owners living in Gated Communities in Palm Beach County that prohibit chargers! Where do you charge your vehicles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our condo is on the third floor of a three story elevator building with eight apartments on each floor with a townhouse on each end of the building on the ground floor. Running a 240v extension cord from the third floor down to a parking spot in front of the building is not allowed. The present BOD is not interested in EV charging stations. :(
Your HOA board CANNOT deny you installing a charger. FL states this (see section 8) Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The fact you have outside parking and not a garage is even better as you don’t need to run conduit through a parking garage. FPL would have to install a monitored meter for you, probably off the main junction box for the building, and then run a line from there to your parking spot for you to install an outdoor charger. You’d have to bear all the costs of this, and you might decide the costs of doing this are not worth it, but your board cannot outright deny it or refuse to work with you to come up with an acceptable solution. Unfortunately running an extension cord off your unit wouldn’t be acceptable under the law, you’d have to do a fully permitted and professionally installed setup.

I’m on my HOA board in FL and know what the laws say. Some people on boards think they are god and can do what they want, but they are bound to follow the law and the associations CCR’s. I know a handful of HOA attorneys in Palm Beach that could write you a demand letter to your HOA to get them to comply. If you have to take them to arbitration over it you’ll easily win and they have to pay you.

Upvote 0
Stick a 240 outlet inside the garage, charge with the garage door closed, and don't tell anyone
On the face of it - sounds good, but for safety that 240-volt outlet needs to be a more expensive heavy duty one and the CB feeding the circuit needs to be GFCI. An ESVE (starting at about $400) hard wired with the same installation cost would be safer and cost less with available credits that cover cost and installation. Plugging and unplugging 240-volt outlet is a recipe for problems. Save the mobile connector for emergency use on the road.

note: hard wired ESVE doesn't even require the cost of a neutral wire from the CB.

Upvote 0
Your HOA board CANNOT deny you installing a charger. FL states this (see section 8) Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The fact you have outside parking and not a garage is even better as you don’t need to run conduit through a parking garage. FPL would have to install a monitored meter for you, probably off the main junction box for the building, and then run a line from there to your parking spot for you to install an outdoor charger. You’d have to bear all the costs of this, and you might decide the costs of doing this are not worth it, but your board cannot outright deny it or refuse to work with you to come up with an acceptable solution. Unfortunately running an extension cord off your unit wouldn’t be acceptable under the law, you’d have to do a fully permitted and professionally installed setup.

I’m on my HOA board in FL and know what the laws say. Some people on boards think they are god and can do what they want, but they are bound to follow the law and the associations CCR’s. I know a handful of HOA attorneys in Palm Beach that could write you a demand letter to your HOA to get them to comply. If you have to take them to arbitration over it you’ll easily win and they have to pay you.
Thank you for the Florida information. Our upcoming drive from NJ to Florida should be both exciting and interesting. Right now the nearest Tesla level 3 charge station to our condo is at the Florida Turnpike Lake Worth Rest area.
If I have to pay to get on and off the Turnpike to charge my Y every few days so be it. It would be nice to have a closer charger.
I'm already spoiled being able to charge my Y beginning every midnight in my garage to 90% @48A with my Tesla HPWC here in NJ. I never expect to be a full time Florida resident.

Upvote 0
Yep. The energy industry almost got an anti-net metering bill passed, it did pass their Legislature but fortunately, DeSantis did one right thing and vetoed it.

I keep asking myself, why do I want to retire there?! :oops:
We rent our condo to Canadians in the winter and have been going in the summer. Most days in the summer it has been 5-7 degrees cooler in Florida than in NJ. Much easier to get dinner reservations too

Upvote 0
Thank you for the Florida information. Our upcoming drive from NJ to Florida should be both exciting and interesting. Right now the nearest Tesla level 3 charge station to our condo is at the Florida Turnpike Lake Worth Rest area.
If I have to pay to get on and off the Turnpike to charge my Y every few days so be it. It would be nice to have a closer charger.
I'm already spoiled being able to charge my Y beginning every midnight in my garage to 90% @48A with my Tesla HPWC here in NJ. I never expect to be a full time Florida resident.
It might be worth it to see if there’s any CCS chargers closer or similar difference. If you pay for the membership with EA their rates are much lower than Tesla Supercharger rates (.32 per kWh vs .50+ for Tesla). You could buy the CCS adapter from Teslas site to make it work.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
Upvote 0