Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you park your car in your driveway where is your home charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for feedback from owners who always park their Tesla in the driveway. Where/how is your home charger i set up and installed?

Picking up my new Model Y week after next and electrician coming next week to install home charger.

My house has just a one car garage and it serves more as storage so I park my car in the driveway. I've seen EV owners in my neighborhood with the charger either installed and have the charging cord on the outside of their garage or inside with the cord running under the garage door. I also live in the Northeast where we have a real winter (meaning snow and sub 30 degrees).

I ran mine through the mail slot - if I backed in the car, there was just enough reach.

Any chance you can fix the storage situation? It took me a couple of months, but now it's inside, where it's somewhat warmer. With your true winter, there is more incentive on this. Otherwise, as shown, you can install it outdoors.

Reactions: Made in CA
I have the shorter 18 foot cord on mine. The longer ones I believe are 24 feet. I can either back the car in to charge it, or I can pull it in forward about a foot from the garage door and charge of that way.

Attachments

• 83BDB21D-4846-416D-9EAA-35F5C33D2BAB.jpeg
    83BDB21D-4846-416D-9EAA-35F5C33D2BAB.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 1,151
I park my M3 in a driveway under a carport, no garage. I needed about a 50 ft. cable to reach from the 240 electrical outlet location to the car. I have been using this EVSE for over a year with no problems. I am in SoCal so no snow here.

My charger is in the garge, but order another charger to be installed outside also .
I also have 2 wall connectors, indoors and outdoors. Ordered the second one after my 1st unit broke down. Figured I have a backup if it ever happens again. Worked out real well as we park outdoors during the summer and presently now we are parked indoors for winter. Both units reach both cars so no issue there. They are setup for power sharing and therefor can use both if required but this has not happened yet.

If using only 1, I would not run it under the door. You will end up with a poor seal and will ruin your garage door seal and eventually the charge cord plus it looks bad. A good option is a passthrough. Install the unit on either an outside or inside wall and run the connector through this. Outside wall are generally rather thick so one on the inside and another on the outside with a short piece of abs tube to connect them would make for a clean install. If one is in real winter climates, a little modification and then insert a split piece of pool noodle into the opening for insulation. Here is an example of one being used for this purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dracaris
I also have 2 wall connectors, indoors and outdoors. Ordered the second one after my 1st unit broke down. Figured I have a backup if it ever happens again. Worked out real well as we park outdoors during the summer and presently now we are parked indoors for winter. Both units reach both cars so no issue there. They are setup for power sharing and therefor can use both if required but this has not happened yet.

If using only 1, I would not run it under the door. You will end up with a poor seal and will ruin your garage door seal and eventually the charge cord plus it looks bad. A good option is a passthrough. Install the unit on either an outside or inside wall and run the connector through this. Outside wall are generally rather thick so one on the inside and another on the outside with a short piece of abs tube to connect them would make for a clean install. If one is in real winter climates, a little modification and then insert a split piece of pool noodle into the opening for insulation. Here is an example of one being used for this purpose.

This is what I did and posted above already.

Our charger (a Tesla Level 2 charger) is installed outside on the side of the house abutting the end of our short driveway. We have cold winters here in Ottawa with lots of snow and other messy winter weather, but that has never caused any problem with our charging set up.

Reactions: android04
Our L2’s are installed in the garage.

We were however running a L1 on the exterior of the garage for when family or guests with PHEV’s come stay overnight. Pulled that down though as we needed the circuit for our new saltwater system.

Probably will look at a J1772 extender from Lectron.

Reactions: TigaFF
my neighbor's garaged was packed and they're apprehensive of MY charging & parking outside. I told them adding up the value of everything in the garage may not even come close to $5k-do the math. They cleared most of the stuff of their 2 car garage and found parking for MY-when the car arrived I gave them tips how to reverse the car so that MY is closer to the wall charger & trunk can be fully opened.

My original plan was to park in the driveway as well. I was going to mount the Wall connector on the side of the house next to the breaker box. The new generation connector says you can specify the vehicles allowed to charge from it. This way someone can't pull into your driveway and charge from your house.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
my neighbor's garaged was packed and they're apprehensive of MY charging & parking outside. I told them adding up the value of everything in the garage may not even come close to $5k-do the math. They cleared most of the stuff of their 2 car garage and found parking for MY-when the car arrived I gave them tips how to reverse the car so that MY is closer to the wall charger & trunk can be fully opened.
For the longest time my neighbors used to comment that I was the only house that actually parked all our cars in our garage... I thought I offended one of them, when I told them that I never understood people that park their car outside that costs tens of thousands of dollars, so that they can store hundreds of dollars of crap in the garage, lol. Now I noticed a bunch of them cleared the crap out of their garages, haha.