Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flow Forged vs Forged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
I am hoping to get a second set of 19" wheels for my refresh Model S. I am looking at sites such as T-Sportline, Getyouwheels and Signature. T-sportline does not yet have their flow-forged options in 19's, though they have it in other sizes. Signature only has forged. Flow-forged is certainly less expensive, sometimes as much as half the cost. Cost is a concern for me, as this car is already expensive. I don't want to make a mistake though.

Given the weight of the MS, is flow forged too risky and significantly more susceptible to damage? I would appreciate thoughts on this.

Thanks for posting. This is exactly why I do not want 21" rims. They look frickin' awesome, but not durable enough for me, and costly when things go wrong. I am looking only at 19" wheels. Will this be helpful for considering flow forged?
You’re gonna get a mixed bag of reviews but factually flow formed is still cast. The face where the impact mainly occurs is cast. The inside barrel is heated rolled forged. Many YT videos on this.

Now cnc forged is where the entire block of aluminum is forged and then they cutout the design. My 2 cents is to go full forged…whichever manufacturer you go with. I would stay away from unknown brands. Also take into account reselling your oem wheels for net cost.

• Informative
Reactions: N2itive and 4SUPER9
Forged wheels are nice because they offer lighter weight with similiar strength, though they are not invincible either.

Flow forged will be fine for a daily driver, especially in 19 or 20 inch sizes. When you run 21 or 22 inch sizes, you'll likely want a forged wheel as there is less sidewall to absorb impact.

Reactions: N2itive and 4SUPER9
At the end of the day it all depends on quality of manufacturing. With the same quality and reliability, forged wheels would be somewhat lighter, but thats all. Plenty of racing cast wheels in use, because in racing they anyway don't live long and much lower price beats slight weight advantage.

Reactions: 4SUPER9