Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FM radio station changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I’ve noticed that when I get in the car in the morning or after work, it starts playing a different radio station than what I was listening when I left the car. Maybe it’s relayed to the most recent firmware update? Anyone else having this problem?

I’ve only had this happen when I’m on a HD channel other than the primary one. One of my favorite stations is on HD-2 and there have been times when I get back in the car and it’s no longer on that channel. I’ve never noticed it when on a normal FM or HD-1 channel.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
Recently I’ve noticed that when I get in the car in the morning or after work, it starts playing a different radio station than what I was listening when I left the car. Maybe it’s relayed to the most recent firmware update? Anyone else having this problem?

i see this sometimes but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it happens vs when it doesn't. i have noticed though that it almost always starts on one of my podcasts after a software update (i have xm installed so i'm almost always leaving the car with it on an fm station)

Any chance you may be accidentally hitting the scroll wheel when you exit or enter?
A quick hit either way will change your favorites up or down.
I don't think I'm doing that. It happens repeatedly, so I doubt it. Besides, it switches from 88.5 FM to 107.7 FM. I only have one station saved as a favorite, which is 88.5.

I did just notice, even though I listen to 88.5 in HD, when I looked at the list of Favorite stations, it didn't say HD. I un-starred the channel and then re-starred it. Now, on the list of Favorites, 88.5 shows up as HD. Not sure if this will fix the problem or not.

Is the Model 3 different from the Model S? If so, sorry.

On the 3, there’s only a scroll wheel. BUT, it is also a button you can press in, or move left or right. Left/right on the left scroll wheel cycles through favourites. Scrolling up/down controls volume. Pressing it mutes/unmutes.

The right scroll wheel is for TACC speed adjustment (scroll up/down) and follow distance (left/right). Press is for voice command.

Happens to me to, also I'm having the occasional FM dropout, as I back out of my driveway the FM will cut out and start working again a minute later, 1 in 10 times it will flip to a different station on startup, and half the time revert to that same station after the freeze

I think I figured out what the problem is. Today, I looked at the screen as soon as I got in the car to see what was happening. It not only changed the radio station, but the map was just dancing around like crazy and the radio volume went up. It was probably changing from 88.5 to 107.7, because when you press Backward button from 88.5, it goes to 107.7 FM.

It looks like I'm having what's known as the phantom touch problem on my screen. Ugh. It seems to happen whenever I first get in the car. But today, it also happened while driving -- I was listening to the FM radio and then it randomly switched to another internet radio station, which was a favorite icon on the screen.

Anyone have experience getting this phantom touch problem fixed by Tesla?

A couple of years ago the two days after an update, my car was jumping to different stations. But the stations were all Favorites. Each time I got in the car it would move to another. Well, while its nice to have Favorites selected, I only listen to one 99% of the time, so I cheated the media player. I removed all the Favorites so there was only one selected. It could not jump to another. A couple days later, I selected two previous Favorites and pinned them. The problem had solved itself. Why? How? Got no idea.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
A couple of years ago the two days after an update, my car was jumping to different stations. But the stations were all Favorites. Each time I got in the car it would move to another. Well, while its nice to have Favorites selected, I only listen to one 99% of the time, so I cheated the media player. I removed all the Favorites so there was only one selected. It could not jump to another. A couple days later, I selected two previous Favorites and pinned them. The problem had solved itself. Why? How? Got no idea.
I'll try that today. Looks like a good work-around to the problem.