Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FM radio stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mine has been doing this periodically over the past few weeks, but a reboot has always fixed it - however, an interesting twist yesterday that hadn't happened before: the radio was playing even though i had the spinning circle. i always leave it on 107.7 because that's what i have my xm fm direct adapter set at, and it came on when i left the house as normal...but when i brought up the media screen, the spinning circle was there even though the radio was working.

i'm not sure i understand why (or even buy the explanation) that the radio is failing, when it's happening to so many of us at the same time. this seems like it almost has to be a software issue...

When is your service call? Mine is not until the 16th (was the first available appointment). Would love to hear the resolution. Seems strange for so many FM radios to be failing around the same time.

My FM radio always works eventually...after tapping on other choices or different stations. Not always consistent in how it fails or how to un-glitch it. Probably a software bug

Got a follow up from support via text message with some additional questions today. Their questions and my answers are below:

1. Is this only happening with FM radio?

Yes this issue only affects the FM radio. Phone and USB audio works properly.

2. Please provide a timestamp (time/date) of last occurrence.

It has not worked continuously since Thursday August 29th so the most recent time stamp would be today 9/5 at 3:45pm eastern which was the last time I drove the car.

3. Please describe conditions where this occurs;
-When using the screen in a certain manner?
-Specific locations?
-Certain stations?
-After driving a particular length of time?

It occurs continuously as I stated in my service request. The picture I uploaded in the service request shows that the loading wheel spins whenever I try to switch to or tune to a FM station. The tuner never displays so I cannot direct tune or select from favorites or available stations. Both steering wheel and brake pedal resets have not fixed the issues.

• Informative
Reactions: JulieX
My internet radio went out today, after I was using the computer on a web site. Don't know if it's a coincidence. It reconnects to my home WiFi when I get home, but can't get reception when I leave. I reset the car but still no reception. I have no problem getting FM radio reception, just no internet radio. Any advice?

Got a follow up from support via text message with some additional questions today. Their questions and my answers are below:

1. Is this only happening with FM radio?

Yes this issue only affects the FM radio. Phone and USB audio works properly.

2. Please provide a timestamp (time/date) of last occurrence.

It has not worked continuously since Thursday August 29th so the most recent time stamp would be today 9/5 at 3:45pm eastern which was the last time I drove the car.

3. Please describe conditions where this occurs;
-When using the screen in a certain manner?
-Specific locations?
-Certain stations?
-After driving a particular length of time?

It occurs continuously as I stated in my service request. The picture I uploaded in the service request shows that the loading wheel spins whenever I try to switch to or tune to a FM station. The tuner never displays so I cannot direct tune or select from favorites or available stations. Both steering wheel and brake pedal resets have not fixed the issues.
About the same questions I was asked.

Reactions: RobC
My internet radio went out today, after I was using the computer on a web site. Don't know if it's a coincidence. It reconnects to my home WiFi when I get home, but can't get reception when I leave. I reset the car but still no reception. I have no problem getting FM radio reception, just no internet radio. Any advice?
After the car sat in the garage for a few hours, the internet radio was back the next time I went out. I didn't expect spotty behavior from this car and I'm not happy about it at all. I guess it's temperamental, like the cable box.

mine has been doing this periodically over the past few weeks, but a reboot has always fixed it - however, an interesting twist yesterday that hadn't happened before: the radio was playing even though i had the spinning circle. i always leave it on 107.7 because that's what i have my xm fm direct adapter set at, and it came on when i left the house as normal...but when i brought up the media screen, the spinning circle was there even though the radio was working.

i'm not sure i understand why (or even buy the explanation) that the radio is failing, when it's happening to so many of us at the same time. this seems like it almost has to be a software issue...

I ran into the radio issue everyone mentions yesterday. Would have to change to streaming and back to radio for it to work. Now that doesn’t work and resetting doesn’t either. Radio is just spinning.

One thing that has happened to me on and off over the last year...when I was on 89.3 (NPR) the radio would automatically change to a different radio station after a few minutes. Happened intermittently...not sure if that ever happened to others...now nothing works.

• Helpful
Reactions: RobC
Im in the same boat since last Thursday, Ive rebooted about a dozen times since then and my car updated from 2019.24 to 2019.28 and the problem persisted. What software version are you on? Has anyone had this problem on 2019.32? I have a mobile service appointment for next Monday but Im hopeful they push me 2019.32 in the next couple of days and it fixes the issue.

I’m on 32 and have the same problem. Also sat radio has disappeared entirely LOL. Going to submit a service request now.

Also-how do I reboot?

I’m on 32 and have the same problem. Also sat radio has disappeared entirely LOL. Going to submit a service request now.

Also-how do I reboot?
Push both steering wheel buttons at the same time. The screen will go blank. When the TESLA logo comes up on the screen, let go of the buttons. You would want to do it while parked (although you can do it while driving). The vehicle will continue to function but you wont see the speed for obvious reasons.

Push both steering wheel buttons at the same time. The screen will go blank. When the TESLA logo comes up on the screen, let go of the buttons. You would want to do it while parked (although you can do it while driving). The vehicle will continue to function but you wont see the speed for obvious reasons.

Thanks-right after I posted this I remembered we have the internet so I googled and did just what you said. And VOILA it is fixed! I have both sat and FM radio again.

I had forgotten though-there’s this weird static glitch sound when the radio plays, which is also back That started suddenly about a week before the radio disappeared entirely.

Well so far they haven't cancelled my service appointment for Monday. Will update on how it goes.

Update 4:55pm Eastern: They just sent me a service estimate to approval remove and replace FM radio antenna amplifier. Which is similar to the other person with the problem above. Looks like they might have had a bad batch of antenna amps? Its listed as part 1079735-00-A. I'm guessing the A means its the original part and not a revision. Estimate indicates no charge covered under warranty.

Last edited:
Well so far they haven't cancelled my service appointment for Monday. Will update on how it goes.

Update 4:55pm Eastern: They just sent me a service estimate to approval remove and replace FM radio antenna amplifier. Which is similar to the other person with the problem above. Looks like they might have had a bad batch of antenna amps? Its listed as part 1079735-00-A. I'm guessing the A means its the original part and not a revision. Estimate indicates no charge covered under warranty.

when is your build date RobC?