Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FM radio stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update

The mobile tech tested out the FM radio antenna amplifier and it tested ok. He also tried the new FM radio antenna amplifier with no luck. The antenna amp is in the driver side c pillar and then goes to a radio module in the passenger side c pillar. That module is connected to the front dash with a "network" wire. He isn't getting the right voltage at the radio module in the passenger side c pillar but isn't equipped to diagnose and repair "network" issues. It will have to go to the service center since he said they will need to take off all the passenger side trim, remove seats, and disassemble the dash just to diagnose the problem.

Well so far they haven't cancelled my service appointment for Monday. Will update on how it goes.

Update 4:55pm Eastern: They just sent me a service estimate to approval remove and replace FM radio antenna amplifier. Which is similar to the other person with the problem above. Looks like they might have had a bad batch of antenna amps? Its listed as part 1079735-00-A. I'm guessing the A means its the original part and not a revision. Estimate indicates no charge covered under warranty.

Yup, that would be me. My mobile service appt is for the 24th. We'll see what they discover. They did state they ordered a new radio; they didnt mention an antenna amplifier though.

Add me to the list. I have tried the soft reboot multiple times to no avail.

Here is an update post-Tesla Warranty appointment: The service rep checked to make sure all of the connections were still in place, they were. So evidently the radio unit just died and a new one is in route. When I asked the service rep if this was a common issue he said no, although he acknowledged that this is the second one he had seen this month.

Here is an update post-Tesla Warranty appointment: The service rep checked to make sure all of the connections were still in place, they were. So evidently the radio unit just died and a new one is in route. When I asked the service rep if this was a common issue he said no, although he acknowledged that this is the second one he had seen this month.
Key phrase, "second one he's seen this month." He isnt aware of the same issue happening all over the place. Big TESLA i.e. HQ Im sure has some sort of data base with reported issues, especially repeated ones.

Update on the radio issue I was experiencing: Mobile tech came out and replaced the FM modulator that is located in the rear passenger side pillar. Apparently, he has seen this about 3 times and every single cause of failure has been because of liquid intrusion. He asked me if the radio had failed a little while after I got the rear window tinted. I told him I really dont remember since I dont use the radio all the time or frequent enough to notice when it exactly died on me. He explained to me that more than likely when I took my vehicle in for a tint job, they must've squeegeed the excess liquid into that pillar thus wetting the inside of that area and shorting out the radio. He replaced it free of charge but told me to warn other Tesla owners when they go to tint their vehicles to be very, very careful and explain in detail to the tint installer what can happen. For everyone that is experiencing this issue, you might want to think if this same scenario happened to you.

Update on the radio issue I was experiencing: Mobile tech came out and replaced the FM modulator that is located in the rear passenger side pillar. Apparently, he has seen this about 3 times and every single cause of failure has been because of liquid intrusion. He asked me if the radio had failed a little while after I got the rear window tinted. I told him I really dont remember since I dont use the radio all the time or frequent enough to notice when it exactly died on me. He explained to me that more than likely when I took my vehicle in for a tint job, they must've squeegeed the excess liquid into that pillar thus wetting the inside of that area and shorting out the radio. He replaced it free of charge but told me to warn other Tesla owners when they go to tint their vehicles to be very, very careful and explain in detail to the tint installer what can happen. For everyone that is experiencing this issue, you might want to think if this same scenario happened to you.

Well if there is liquid intrusion in my passenger c pillar it is because the roof leaks...
havent seen any moisture on the trim or seats though.

Im in the same boat since last Thursday, Ive rebooted about a dozen times since then and my car updated from 2019.24 to 2019.28 and the problem persisted. What software version are you on? Has anyone had this problem on 2019.32? I have a mobile service appointment for next Monday but Im hopeful they push me 2019.32 in the next couple of days and it fixes the issue.
i have 2019.32.2.2 & it just stopped working (the Sirius & all the other radio stations)

I haven't had my windows tinted so that isn't what caused mine to fail.

Same issue here. Bought last week and in the latest 32.2.2 version. Radio station keeps spinning. Able to type in station number but the tune button spinning forever. Music works fine. No window tinted. Will raise a service request and update here.

After seeing numerous reports that replacing the FM module in passenger C-pillar resolved this issue I wrote to Tesla service to see if they could have a mobile tech try this instead of having me need to go into service and potentially leave my vehicle for days. They responded that they cant send a tech to try a fix they wont know will resolve a problem. This is laughable because they already sent a mobile tech to try replacing the antenna amplifier in the driver c-pillar without knowing that would fix the problem (it didnt). What a crock of $hit.

I am also having this problem — spinning circle that never completes when I try to switch to an FM station. 32.2.2, no window tint. Streaming works fine.

Reboot fixed it for now. I’ll update it if recurs.

Last edited:
Took the car into the service center today. After being completely ignored for 40 minutes they finally checked in my car. They are going to replace the MCU. They havent even tried replacing the radio module.... The service rep said whatever their "remote diagnostic team" saw made them decide to replace the MCU. Hopefully I get a HW3 MCU out of this and it fixes the issue and I dont have to come back again for them to replace the radio module.

They gave me a model s p85d loaner with 86k miles and it shows. It also is locked in speed limit mode and "chill" acceleration. I am glad to have a loaner at all though.

They said several days for the MCU changeout because they have to take the dash apart.

Update

They only replaced the FM radio module which resolved the issue. They said the work order shows MCU replacement so that they can order the part in case they need it in the worst case scenario. Other than the horrible check in experience and that they didn't even look at my car until the next day (had a 1pm service appt.). The service process was ok. I liked the app notification and text message that my car was finished. It took about 4 hours for them to change the FM module from when they moved the car inside. From what I saw when the mobile tech was out it should have been about a 15 minute job so I am guessing the car was just sitting most of the time.

Update

They only replaced the FM radio module which resolved the issue. They said the work order shows MCU replacement so that they can order the part in case they need it in the worst case scenario. Other than the horrible check in experience and that they didn't even look at my car until the next day (had a 1pm service appt.). The service process was ok. I liked the app notification and text message that my car was finished. It took about 4 hours for them to change the FM module from when they moved the car inside. From what I saw when the mobile tech was out it should have been about a 15 minute job so I am guessing the car was just sitting most of the time.
My wife has been complaining that the FM Radio is having this problem. It worked fine until the last software update now she gets the spinning circle. But it does connect occasionally but then will disconnect like when she uses her turn signal. Very weird. I don't personally use the FM radio but she commutes to work every day so it an issue.

My FM radio has stopped working a couple of times. Each time a UI reboot fixed it.
However, I have a minor issue that seems to always be a problem.

I have 3 FM stations as favorites along with a few podcasts and tune-in stations, etc.
If I am listening to something that is not FM radio and I tap one of the FM stations it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work.
I may have to tap a different FM station to get a response. It isn't a touch screen issue because I can always slide the favorites left and right.
Also, even when the FM audio does work the grey speaker icon that shows up inside the tile does not appear. However if I swithc to another FM station is does appear and if I switch back to the first FM station it does appear. It just doesn't show up on the first FM station ~95% of the time.