Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App - charge and car controls gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I haven't registered my or my wife's phone as a key. There are many reasons for this, a large one being I like my phone to stay charged longer and don't have Bluetooth on all the time. I also like my car not locking and unlocking when I'm nearby.
I know there are advantages to using the key, but I'm happy as is, so please this is not the place to convince me otherwise. I appreciate I'm in the minority but I'm great with that.
To date, my use case has worked beautifully in this manner. I take a key card when I need to drive the car, but otherwise also use the app regularly to change charging limits on the fly, turn on climate, schedule charging etc.

Interestingly, and frustratingly, I noticed this morning (perhaps following an update) that I and my wife had lost many controls on the app, not least of which were charging and climate controls. I've even lost the ability to lock and unlock the car via the app.

It seems this may be more of a concerted push to cut features of the app to encourage users to use the phone as a key; why... Who knows? This is a great shame. Now I may, finally, have to use the phone as a key to restore such features.

For those who don't have their phone setup as a key, have you noticed the above changes in app functionality? Aware of anything that brings back the remote climate, lock and charging controls? Is there something I'm missing?

I realise I could possibly set the phone up as a key and turn Bluetooth off. However, my wife keeps Bluetooth on for other reasons, so this isn't ideal and wouldn't work for both of us.

Note I did previously try the phone as a key, I think to try and use live view of cameras, but something with it frustrated me beyond the above, and I know I'm happiest without the phone set up as a key.

I'm running android Version 4.26.5-2027

Thanks team.

Silly, but perhaps worth mentioning anyways... the controls in the app that appear under the car are customizable. If you long press one, you can rearrange and choose which ones display there.

Perhaps somehow an update changed which ones are displayed?

Screenshot_20231031-224356-519.png

Screenshot_20231006-085952-641.png

Hi, I haven't registered my or my wife's phone as a key. There are many reasons for this, a large one being I like my phone to stay charged longer and don't have Bluetooth on all the time. I also like my car not locking and unlocking when I'm nearby.
I know there are advantages to using the key, but I'm happy as is, so please this is not the place to convince me otherwise. I appreciate I'm in the minority but I'm great with that.

Here's what to do:

1) Add your phone as a key
2) Open App
3) Scroll down to Security and Drivers
4) Move "Phone Key" slider to the left

Hi All,
Thanks for the considered and detailed responses. As it happens, it has just come good on it's own. I have no idea what was going on yesterday, but it was affecting both my and my wife's phones. So some sort of glitch on the car side I expect. I confirm I was not logged out of the account as that was the first thing I checked at the time.

I jumped to the conclusion of an update revision as I had only updated the app that morning. This it seems was coincidence.

So I have no idea what the issue was, or what we might have done to cause the reduced features on the phone. It looks to have remedied itself so all good. If I continue to have further issues I can try adding the phone as a key, then disabling it. I didn't know that was an option so thanks for pointing that out.

Happy Thursday!

Reactions: father_of_6
Same problem here.. Yesterday I added my phone to my model Y (pairing with Bluetooth), and today the Controls option in the app has vanished. Coincidence? I have no desire for the bluetooth phone-as-a key option. Let's hope it fixes itself (as happened with Steve_4802)

I also like my car not locking and unlocking when I'm nearby.

The car will only unlock if you are nearby and you pull open a door handle. 🙄

I was really, really resistant to the idea of a phone as a key before I got my car. So much so I was convinced I’d buy a key fob as soon as possible, and use the card key at all times until fobs became available.

After a day with the car, I realised I was wrong 🤷‍♂️