Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It makes perfect sense because the original net cost was only $5000. So even if you used the only example ever of Tesla charging more after sale (when AP/FSD used to be a little more expensive- a practice they found was a failure and abandoned) you'd only be talking about charging 6k for it.

So if you sell it for that you might well get a lot of buyers in an amount that is almost 100% profit for the company.

In contrast- nobody would actually pay 15k for it so you'd get $0 in extra revenue, let alone profit.

This is the same reason Tesla doesn't charge $18,000 to add FSD after offering it for 6k pre-purchase.

The original cost was 10K difference. So buyers would have to fork over at least 10K. But I would say a higher number would be more fair, so 15K is a number I am throwing out there. Maybe 10K for the acceleration uncork and an extra 5k for track mode and the max speed boost.

You keep referring to some mystical $5k number. This number did not exist. Owners of performance models did have the option to return their free supercharging incentive for a 5k check. If you are an M3 AWD owner with free lifetime supercharging, then I would support the option for you guys to return that incentive for a 5k check as well.

The original cost was 10K difference. So buyers would have to fork over at least 10K. But I would say a higher number would be more fair, so 15K is a number I am throwing out there.
ROFL

Setting aside the nonsense arbitrary hand wave of the second sentence, it actually worked out that P- was only about $6K less when the refund came down the line and is factored in (they were actually $11K more to start with, I'm not sure how big a window there was between the RWD to D price difference being raised to $5K and the P- option being taken away?).

The original cost was 10K difference

The net cost was 5...since P owners (including P3D- owners) all got a 5k refund offered to them.

So to all who took it their net price was either 4k, 5k, or 6k more than someone who bought an AWD instead (depending exactly when the AWD guy ordered)

. So buyers would have to fork over at least 10K.

Nope, 4, 5, or 6k.

But I would say a higher number would be more fair

Who said life was fair? Where is that written?

15k is a number I am throwing out there.

You are- it just keeps not making any sense at all.

You keep referring to some mystical $5k number. This number did not exist. Owners of performance models did have the option to return their free supercharging incentive for a 5k check

so... it didn't exist but you're aware of it existing... weird.

. If you are an M3 AWD owner with free lifetime supercharging, then I would support the option for you guys to return that incentive for a 5k check as well.

AWD owners were never given free supercharging. Odd you would get into a detailed pricing discussion without knowing that...

Which is why a mere 5k (+/- 1k based on timing) ended up being the actual net price difference, and not mystical at all.

Reactions: MagnusMako
ROFL

Setting aside the nonsense arbitrary hand wave of the second sentence, it actually worked out that P- was only about $6K less when the refund came down the line and is factored in (they were actually $11K more to start with, I'm not sure how big a window there was between the RWD to D price difference being raised to $5K and the P- option being taken away?).

Don't really understand this whole refund business. Elon musk offered AWD performance owners $5k in exchange for their free supercharging. There was no refund given to AWD performance owners. Now if any AWD non performance owners had free lifetime supercharging, maybe they could ask Elon to exchange that perk for $5k.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
Elon musk offered AWD performance owners $5k in exchange for their free supercharging. There was no refund given to AWD performance owners.
There was no $5K refund, there was just a $5K refund. ROFL

Yes, Tesla used it as a chance to claw back some of their unlimited charging boo boo, or just keep $5K in cash for people that were bad at math or felt sorry for Tesla and wanted to help. But bottom line is that the actual price was $5K lower, whether or not you thought the free SC was worth it (and thus a $5K value above what the D provided, which was pay as you go SC) or you took the money and ran.
Now if any AWD non performance owners had free lifetime supercharging, maybe they could ask Elon to exchange that perk for $5k.
If we had eggs we could have ham and eggs if we had some ham. Now if an unlock to a D also provided free lifetime SC you might have a point......and the world would be entirely different!

JFC

If AWD owners don't have free unlimited supercharging to trade for $5k, then they shouldn't factor that $5K trade-in in any discussion about an uncork.
Uuuuuh, the $5K cames from the price change for Performance Model 3s. They also dropped it retroactively (if you were also willing to retroactively adjust free SC part). That's why there is the much smaller gap between current P and D, the P- would slide right in there between.

If AWD owners don't have free unlimited supercharging to trade for $5k, then they shouldn't factor that $5K trade-in in any discussion about an uncork.

You don't seem to understand how math works.

In the end, P3D- owners who took the refund ended up paying about $5000 more than AWD owners total price.

In exchange for that extra 5k compared to AWD buyers they got, entirely via software differences:

Quicker 0-60
Track mode
Higher top speed

Neither group ended up with free supercharging.

Therefore, 5k is a reasonable price to charge AWD owners to gain those same things, since it's the same, net, price that P3D- owners paid for them.

Not sure where you keep getting lost in the weeds of "There was no refund, except for that refund I agree happened" stuff.

That would require a lot of labour, pulling the car apart (not just the front end, either), and tossing out parts. Way too much overhead to be covered by the list price gap, in contrast to the flip of a software flag that a P- requires.

Yup.

Same reason no P3D- to P3D+ upgrade will be offered, unlike software mods it just doesn't make any economic sense to sell it.

Why didn't the people buying AWD whom wanted the "P" performance purchase it at the time of sale? Was there a time where it wasn't an option to purchase? I'm speculating but I assume at least some decided not to purchase it.

Why didn't the people buying AWD whom wanted the "P" performance purchase it at the time of sale?
For me a big part was because the P- was priced $11,000 higher at the time, and the P+ about $5K on top of that. Also Track Mode wasn't a thing [known to the public] at that time.

Plus I didn't expect I'd have use for the extra acceleration. That's still largely true on public roads, it was that I didn't realize I'd be tracking the vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott7
For me a big part was because the P- was priced $11,000 higher at the time, and the P+ about $5K on top of that. Also Track Mode wasn't a thing [known to the public] at that time.

Exact same for me.

As it turned out that 11k became only 6k due to the refund but that was well after the car was purchased so too late.

Plus I didn't expect I'd have use for the extra acceleration. That's still largely true on public roads

Also same... and honestly with the OTA power bump dropping 0-60 to 4.0, and most of my driving being on highways or one-lane-each-way roads, I still don't have much use for it so I'm unsure I'd even take the upgrade for the 5k price or not.... doesn't change the math though that 5k (+/- 1k depending when you ordered) would be the amount that'd match what P3D- folks who took the refund ended up paying for the SW unlocks compared to AWD owners.

Why didn't the people buying AWD whom wanted the "P" performance purchase it at the time of sale? Was there a time where it wasn't an option to purchase? I'm speculating but I assume at least some decided not to purchase it.

When I test drove the LR AWD it seemed so fast that I couldn't even imagine wanting more power. I actually got that roller coaster feeling in my stomach. Now that I own one, I've kind of gotten accustomed to it. So I can understand why others would want even more power especially as it is only software limited. As for me, I'm sticking with the 'slow' version. But I'm happy to sign the petition anyway if it helps others get the upgrade option.