Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it would be borderline dangerous to upgrade the acceleration without the other parts that come with the P3D (Wheels, tires, brakes)? I realize there are some P3D-'s out there now but if it were me, I'd at least want the upgraded brakes with that kind of power.

The base level brakes are fine for driving on public roads, the rate of acceleration has no effect on brake use, the problem would only show up with repeated high-speed stops such as you would see on a track.

Awesome! Any track time? I guess I should have made that point in my post, I was assuming people with P3D's would be tracking them occasionally.

Not as of yet, because I stayed with the 18s until late spring. Now that I have adequate summer rubber (and upgraded front rotors), I may consider it.

But I have accelerated hard (a LOT, it's fun), and never had a time where I felt the car wouldn't stop.

I'm bringing it to the drag strip next week.

15K makes perfect sense. It encourages people to buy the P3D instead of waffling and buying an AWD and upgrading later.

For Tesla, the way to maximize profits is to take future AWD cars that are traded in and uncork those cars themselves and sell them for a higher price used.

By this logic FSD should be $12,000 after car purchase. Since that too would encourage people to buy it instead of waiting, and allow them to add it to trade ins without it and sell it for more used.

Instead though it's actually the same price before and after.

Possibly Tesla knows something more about what's best for their profits than you do?

Reactions: Sweet OJ
I think it would be borderline dangerous to upgrade the acceleration without the other parts that come with the P3D (Wheels, tires, brakes)? I realize there are some P3D-'s out there now but if it were me, I'd at least want the upgraded brakes with that kind of power.

Why?

When you move your foot from accelerator to brake, the power the car has is utterly irrelevant.

The fact you can get to 60 a little bit quicker has no impact, at all, on how quickly you can stop from 60

By this logic FSD should be $12,000 after car purchase. Since that too would encourage people to buy it instead of waiting, and allow them to add it to trade ins without it and sell it for more used.

Possibly Tesla knows something more about what's best for their profits than you do?

Yes, but that is actually a rather new development. The pricing on FSD has been jumping around all over the place but for most of the time I was considering one, it was $1k-$2k more to buy it after purchase than it was to buy it before purchase.

Why?

When you move your foot from accelerator to brake, the power the car has is utterly irrelevant.

The fact you can get to 60 a little bit quicker has no impact, at all, on how quickly you can stop from 60

I'm just going to throw this out there:

Of the potentially thousands of "Stealth" 3's out there, there has not been a story about an unsafe configuration w/stock brakes on a performance model.

you KNOW the media would have plastered the story everywhere if it was actually a concern.

Yes, but that is actually a rather new development. The pricing on FSD has been jumping around all over the place but for most of the time I was considering one, it was $1k-$2k more to buy it after purchase than it was to buy it before purchase.

Right- it's like... Tesla figured out the "price it higher later" strategy wasn't actually a good one or something....

Awesome! Any track time? I guess I should have made that point in my post, I was assuming people with P3D's would be tracking them occasionally.
It's been found you can blow out the stock P3D's brakes when tracking, anyway. Depending on the course, you can cook the rear. It is suspected because of heavy brake use by Track Mode for certain styles of tracks and driving.

Further, if you're going to the track with your P- you were probably going there already with it as the stock AWD and have already started to upgrade those components. Or have been forced to already because you've destroyed the stock parts. ;)

They may very well increase the price of FSD after car purchase. Right now, FSD is cheaper but when new features are released, they will incrementally increase the price of FSD for new buyers.

“Full Self-Driving Capability is available for purchase post-delivery, prices are likely to increase over time with new feature releases.”

As I said, it makes no sense to let AWD owners buy the uncork for less than 10k. The ideal price would be closer to 15k.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
They may very well increase the price of FSD after car purchase. Right now, FSD is cheaper but when new features are released, they will incrementally increase the price of FSD for new buyers.

“Full Self-Driving Capability is available for purchase post-delivery, prices are likely to increase over time with new feature releases.”

As I said, it makes no sense to let AWD owners buy the uncork for less than 10k. The ideal price would be closer to 15k.

It makes perfect sense because the original net cost was only $5000. So even if you used the only example ever of Tesla charging more after sale (when AP/FSD used to be a little more expensive- a practice they found was a failure and abandoned) you'd only be talking about charging 6k for it.

So if you sell it for that you might well get a lot of buyers in an amount that is almost 100% profit for the company.

In contrast- nobody would actually pay 15k for it so you'd get $0 in extra revenue, let alone profit.

This is the same reason Tesla doesn't charge $18,000 to add FSD after offering it for 6k pre-purchase.

Reactions: MountainJedi
It makes perfect sense because the original net cost was only $5000. So even if you used the only example ever of Tesla charging more after sale (when AP/FSD used to be a little more expensive- a practice they found was a failure and abandoned) you'd only be talking about charging 6k for it.

So if you sell it for that you might well get a lot of buyers in an amount that is almost 100% profit for the company.

In contrast- nobody would actually pay 15k for it so you'd get $0 in extra revenue, let alone profit.

This is the same reason Tesla doesn't charge $18,000 to add FSD after offering it for 6k pre-purchase.

I noticed the configurator no longer says 8k after purchase, its officially only 6k after purchase now?

They literally just did the opposite when they dropped it from $8K to $6K after purchase. Why? Because no one was willing to pay $8K after purchase for it.

I noticed the configurator no longer says 8k after purchase, its officially only 6k after purchase now?

Yup, as I mentioned Tesla abandoned the 'charge more after delivery' model on the one thing they ever used it for.

So since they have a lot more insight into their sales costs and customers than we do it seems that makes more business sense to them than Happyzods ideas.

Which means they would be charging around 5k to turn an AWD into a P3D-

(at various times the pre-buy price difference was either 4k, 5k, or 6k-as they varied the AWD option pricing a bit for a while- so I suppose any of those would be valid choices by Tesla, hence my around 5k comment since it's in the middle)

It's been found you can blow out the stock P3D's brakes when tracking, anyway. Depending on the course, you can cook the rear. It is suspected because of heavy brake use by Track Mode for certain styles of tracks and driving.

Further, if you're going to the track with your P- you were probably going there already with it as the stock AWD and have already started to upgrade those components. Or have been forced to already because you've destroyed the stock parts. ;)

I was going to say, the stock P3D+ brakes aren't anything special. And I've never heard any P3D- owners complain about their stock one's being insufficient for street driving. I would think if they are, then it's more on the driver and not the car. You already have regenerative braking as it is, which helps.

This whole idea of charging for more than a P3D+ to upgrade 3D owners is ridiculous to me. I'd be willing to bet there are more people who are willing to pay ~5k for acceleration alone than 10k for acceleration and some extra bits that really only come in handy on the track or extra windy roads. There might be a few people with more money than sense that will pay >10k for just the accel, but those are few and far between. If you look at scale, offering this option would be more profit for Tesla, because for every P3D+ sale they lose, they'll have 3 more that will go P3D- instead of 3D. I'm guessing the UK is the testing for this configuration and hopefully we'll see it replicate in the US and offered retroactively.

I was going to say, the stock P3D+ brakes aren't anything special. And I've never heard any P3D- owners complain about their stock one's being insufficient for street driving. I would think if they are, then it's more on the driver and not the car. You already have regenerative braking as it is, which helps.

Totally agree for day to day driving. I literally almost never touch the brake pedal in my daily commute which is 95% interstate. I could probably make it all the way home without using it until I pull into my garage if I caught a couple of lights green.

Track driving of course is a whole different animal.