Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For NJ residents: don't forget $5k rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget that NJ passed a law providing EV buyers with a $5k rebate. MSRP needs to be under $55k. Confirmed with a local sales rep and the MSRP is after options (paint, FSD, etc). So if you're looking at an AWD MY can only get either a paint option or the white interior. If you want FSD you can take delivery without it and then pay $7k afterwards as an over the air upgrade (you won't have the benefit of wrapping FSD into the financing). The sales rep was not 100% sure about whether the delivery fee counts against the MSRP but thought it doesn't. The rebate is in effect as of 1/17/20 and you can apply for the rebate once the program goes into effect, which is by July 2020. Once in effect, Tesla will apply on your behalf and will just take $5k off the car.

Home - Drive Green - Air Quality, Energy and Sustainability (AQES) | Department of Environmental Protection

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Reborn
are you saying you can added paint and wheel to quality the rebates?

Sorry. My previous was post was not very clear and I forgot about the wheel upgrade. The base AWD is $52,990. So you have $2,010 to play with before you get to $55k.

You can do some combination of the following:
--the induction wheels ($2k)
--non-white paint options ($1k-$2k)
--white interior ($1k).

Last edited:
thanks , does the delivery fee needs to include? if there is the case 1200, you can not add any option but there is other post saying this ,

Thanks for sharing. The definition of MSRP from your screen shot seems to be different from what the sales rep told me (MSRP includes options). Not sure who is right but I am leaning towards NJ Board of Public Utilities from your screen shot. I went back to the same agency to see if they would provide clarification on the $1.2k delivery fee and whether it counts against MSRP. Still waiting for response.

Here is an email directly from the state BPU. I would trust them to know what’s in the program and what counts WAY more than a Tesla salesperson.
504F6B80-FEE5-40D9-ABB4-7B02677AE533.jpeg

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: Reborn and MP3Mike
When I ordered my cart I went with White which is no cost paint and the Induction rims for $2k which brings the total MSRP of the car to $54990 which from my understanding means I am eligible for the $5k rebate. The delivery and doc fees bring the total to just over $56k but those do not apply against the total number.

When I ordered my cart I went with White which is no cost paint and the Induction rims for $2k which brings the total MSRP of the car to $54990 which from my understanding means I am eligible for the $5k rebate. The delivery and doc fees bring the total to just over $56k but those do not apply against the total number.

By $10, but yes that should qualify just fine.

Quick question, my MY is in production and I already have a VIN assigned. When I schedule delivery/pickup will the dealer subtract the 5k rebate at that time or will I have to put in an application afterwards?

My understanding is that as of now you will have to put in an application to get the $5K. At some point in 2020 the state will shift the program to Point of Sale, meaning you will get the rebate at the point of purchase. Per website (link here), the post-purchase rebate application process will end after 90 days from the point that the Point of Sale program is introduced. I am not sure if the rebate will be provided as a check or a discount.

Charge Up New Jersey for Dealerships and Showrooms | Charge Up New Jersey

My understanding is that as of now you will have to put in an application to get the $5K. At some point in 2020 the state will shift the program to Point of Sale, meaning you will get the rebate at the point of purchase. Per website (link here), the post-purchase rebate application process will end after 90 days from the point that the Point of Sale program is introduced. I am not sure if the rebate will be provided as a check or a discount.

Charge Up New Jersey for Dealerships and Showrooms | Charge Up New Jersey
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

My brother lives in Edison, NJ and I can order a Y online and add him as a registered owner to get Model Y in NJ and do a pickup.
Would like to know if the 5K NJ rebate is deducted when ordering the car OR when taking delivery OR file a rebate form at a later date?

Can a NJ resident who took recent delivery help me with this?

Reactions: dmurphy