Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For NJ residents: don't forget $5k rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brother lives in Edison, NJ and I can order a Y online and add him as a registered owner to get Model Y in NJ and do a pickup.
Would like to know if the 5K NJ rebate is deducted when ordering the car OR when taking delivery OR file a rebate form at a later date?

Can a NJ resident who took recent delivery help me with this?

As of right now, you would have to file a rebate form. I'm hearing approval in a matter of a day or two, so that's great news.

The "point-of-sale" program - where the $5k would be taken off the vehicle price at delivery - is still being rolled out. I can't speculate "when" that'll be available, so the rebate is your best bet for now.

See more details here: Home | Charge Up New Jersey

(Also note: the Model Y is not listed under the 'eligible vehicles' section of the website, but it IS eligible - it's on the rebate form. Your MSRP AFTER ADDONS (wheels, colors, FSD, etc) needs to be less than $55,000 to qualify - many Model Y configurations are more than this, so please be careful! This excludes the destination fee, however - it's not counted towards the MSRP.)

My brother lives in Edison, NJ and I can order a Y online and add him as a registered owner to get Model Y in NJ and do a pickup.
Would like to know if the 5K NJ rebate is deducted when ordering the car OR when taking delivery OR file a rebate form at a later date?

You have to retain ownership and register it in NJ for 36 months. There’s a lot of conditions. Read them here https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/...p_New_Jersey_Phase_1_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

I called the number on the site today and got a call back from a very nice lady (Ann). She said it should take around 30 days for the application to be approved and another 30 days to receive the check in the mail.

These are ballparks based on the number of applications they have in the queue. They are processing applications but playing catch up from Covid and early cars sold pre COVID.

I called the number on the site today and got a call back from a very nice lady (Ann). She said it should take around 30 days for the application to be approved and another 30 days to receive the check in the mail.

These are ballparks based on the number of applications they have in the queue. They are processing applications but playing catch up from Covid and early cars sold pre COVID.
Thanks for the info. Did you take delivery already and put in the application for the rebate?

hi everyone, i have question regarding the final MSRP* meaning in the site.
I placed an deposit on a model 3 which has inventory discount, so my my final MSRP* is cheaper than the official MSRP.

do I eligible to apply?

for reference , i am buying a model 3 performance with gray color. the official MSRP is 56K but i got 2K discount, so it is 54K before document fee.

thanks,

hi everyone, i have question regarding the final MSRP* meaning in the site.
I placed an deposit on a model 3 which has inventory discount, so my my final MSRP* is cheaper than the official MSRP.

do I eligible to apply?

for reference , i am buying a model 3 performance with gray color. the official MSRP is 56K but i got 2K discount, so it is 54K before document fee.

thanks,
I will venture to say no based on the description of MSRP condition. Specifically it's MSRP "set by the manufacturer". So don't think dealership discounts can bring the MSRP below $55k. But Tesla does not have traditional dealerships so not 100% sure.

upload_2020-6-25_13-28-22.png

So I took delivery this last Tuesday 6/23 and had filled out the NJ EV rebate application. I completed it online but received no confirmation of its submission. Was wondering if anyone completed it as well but did receive some kind of confirmation of submission.

I am caught in bit of a no mans land. I ordered a Model Y earlier this month but still waiting on delivery and do not expect until after June 30 as I have no delivery date yet. Would like to add full self driving option before it goes up in price by $1,000 July 1st.

If I add FSD now before delivery and expected price increase does NJ consider the additional cost paid part of MSRP and takes the car over the $55K limit?

If I add FSD now before delivery and expected price increase does NJ consider the additional cost paid part of MSRP and takes the car over the $55K limit?

... yes. You’re still way better off - even with the increase - to add FSD after purchase.
The $5k rebate will cover the additional $1k as well as the sales tax on FSD (which you wouldn’t pay if it were bundled in the car purchase.)

According the charge up website I am supposed to upload vehicle registration, purchase or lease contract and copy of my drivers license but it doesn’t tell me where to upload to. Does anyone know the process of uploading the documents?

According the charge up website I am supposed to upload vehicle registration, purchase or lease contract and copy of my drivers license but it doesn’t tell me where to upload to. Does anyone know the process of uploading the documents?

I believe you receive an email with the upload link once you submit this form ... Drive Electric

If you end up doing this, let me know. I'm in a similar situation so I'd love to hear how it worked out for you

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW
Thanks. I filled out the application last week but heard nothing yet. Have you completed the application as well?

No - I bought my Model 3 last year before this program; and this year's Model X purchase is over the $55k line. So can't help with that part - I haven't been through the process but know plenty about it through our local Tesla club (www.dvto.club) - consider joining us!