Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For real - is it safe to tint roof glass and back glass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jpfive

Supporting Member
Oct 31, 2019
Pensacola, FL
I've seen the cautions about tinting upper glass on the M3. I would like to hear real experiences of those who have had problems and those who have done so with no issues. I installed the screens right after I got the car, but now that our Florida sun is getting more direct I doubt that they will do much to reduce heat buildup in the cabin. My car is not garaged. I know this is a common thread, but I am still undecided. Believe me, I have read most of what has been posted on this subject. So, forgive me if this is beating a dead horse but I would appreciate a little more help here. Also, experiences with interior and exterior windshield films. Thanks.

That is what I have except not on windshield or roof. I live in Florida. In your opinion if I add it to the windshield and roof would it be sufficient in the Florida sun?

Well.. I have never lived in florida so I would defer to those who live there for that. I have 20% on front and rear windows, 1 piece on back glass, and roof. I have 70% on windshield. I combine that with a covercraft front windshield screen, and feel like the combo does a decent job of keeping heat out (and I have had no problems with glass cracking etc.

Thanks. The 3M crystalline is my choice as well. How dark did you go?

20 percent front and back windows, roof, and back glass (1 piece). 70% windshield.

Note, in CA its not legal to tint front windshield, except for a small strip near the top of the windshield, and its not legal to tint the front drivers and passengers side windows. Mine are tinted anyway (and many people tint these windows out here). Just mentioning it in case someone thinks I am unaware. Havent had an issue yet, knock on wood. Been tinting the front windows on the bmws I have had for the past 18 years or so prior to having the model 3P, and only got a couple fix it tickets during that time.

20 percent front and back windows, roof, and back glass (1 piece). 70% windshield.

Note, in CA its not legal to tint front windshield, except for a small strip near the top of the windshield, and its not legal to tint the front drivers and passengers side windows. Mine are tinted anyway (and many people tint these windows out here). Just mentioning it in case someone thinks I am unaware. Havent had an issue yet, knock on wood. Been tinting the front windows on the bmws I have had for the past 18 years or so prior to having the model 3P, and only got a couple fix it tickets during that time.

There are similar restrictions in FL. There is a legally allowable tint for front windows. It is a reasonable amount. My tinting shop follows the law on that. I have installed Crystalline on one windshield in the past - but it was essentially clear (very light tint). It still afforded UV protection, in addition to strengthening the windshield from intrusion of debris kicked up from the road. I prefer a light enough tint that I can make eye contact with other drivers or pedestrians and so that police can see inside the car. I have family members in law enforcement who say they appreciate that. Thanks very much for your input.

I have the llumar irx all around including the sunroof. No problems with the roof or back glass at all. You just need a good place to install the tint.

I agree with this. Who installs the tint is more important than what tint is installed. I have a place near my house in temecula I have used for about 15 years (they have been in business for like 30 years).