Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Sale: 2014 Tesla Model S P85D - mint condition - 34k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to agree with jb23. There are many P85DS and P90Ds that are in the mid 50s on teslas CPO site ( full disclosure mine is listed at 52500 but I’ll talk a bit) there may be some lower but are they fully loaded? Show wear? At the end of the day it’s pretty much a wash for free supercharging vs extended warranty to teslas bottom line. Here are some screen shots

Attachments

• C9898DB2-C101-494A-8B8E-49313279A8A6.png
    C9898DB2-C101-494A-8B8E-49313279A8A6.png
    395.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DD2EF506-D078-4E7B-B6C2-4BCE8B7BC96B.png
    DD2EF506-D078-4E7B-B6C2-4BCE8B7BC96B.png
    414.8 KB · Views: 58
  • F80DDA48-5CD9-4BD0-850A-DFC80A9A8F84.png
    F80DDA48-5CD9-4BD0-850A-DFC80A9A8F84.png
    356.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 67779F8D-BB76-49A1-A5C0-B89CE87040B2.png
    67779F8D-BB76-49A1-A5C0-B89CE87040B2.png
    385.8 KB · Views: 51
  • B6BBDA80-1BD8-4F13-9406-765D14CE625A.png
    B6BBDA80-1BD8-4F13-9406-765D14CE625A.png
    388.5 KB · Views: 44
  • D49B90D2-F713-49F2-A81A-3074AFEC53F5.png
    D49B90D2-F713-49F2-A81A-3074AFEC53F5.png
    360.5 KB · Views: 60
SOLD!!!!!

To all of the haters out there...it took a little while, but just sold my 2014 Tesla Model S P85D at $52.5k. A few lessons learned for those selling Teslas in the future:

1) Craigslist was the best source of leads. I had to pay $5 twice (each ad only lasts 30 days). Definitely worth $10 but beware scammers. I had 2 separate people contact me saying they wanted to buy the car, but their bank required them to get a VIN report from some web site I never heard of (2 different web sites), vs Carfax which everyone has heard of. They want you to go spend $25 to get the report and send it to them. I suspect they then take your credit card and go to town. In both cases they offer to pay you an extra $25 if they buy the car.

2) Trying to sell on here did not help much. A bunch of haters who said the car was overpriced or missing features that it wasn't. It's really depressing to read threads from uninformed dickheads trying to show how much they know. If you're ever not 99% sure of what you're saying, or nobody asked for your opinion on the price, keep it to yourself. It's not fair to the sellers, and I've heard this from others as well in this thread and via direct messages.

3) I bought my car from Tesla 12/24/14, so it was classified as a 2014. If I had waited a week, the Kelley Blue Book would be $5k higher. As of a few months ago, Tesla has finally adopted the industry standard where "2020 models" start in the fall of 2019. So if you buy right now, you are buying a 2020. That would've helped me a lot.

4) Tesla offered either $47 or 48k (I can't recall). If you've got a little time be patient. Kelley Blue Book was $54k for excellent condition private party sale, so I was willing to wait to get close to that.

5) I had a number of near misses with people who loved my car, but decided to buy a new Model 3. The prices are relatively similar, but the performance is not. I am not sure what I will buy now, but if I do get another Tesla, I will lease it as the resale is pretty poor and there are many new EVs coming on the market from Ford, Audi, VW, Porsche, etc. I suspect resale values will suffer.

6) When you sell, be sure to find the "factory reset" switch inside the display screens. That deletes your navigation history, your bluetooth phone, your garage door opener, etc.

I think that's it. Good luck to all of the sellers out there, and if any of you ever have any specific questions, feel free to message me directly.

I guess if you were looking to buy another Tesla it would have likely made sense to trade it? At $47k-$48k trade-in, you would have saved another $4k-$5k in taxes (if your state allows) and not have had the hassle of trying to sell to a private party.

Thanks for sharing the selling price and all of your insights!

Glad to hear it! That gives me hope. How long ago did tesla offer you 48k? That’s a bit more than they are offering me even though our cars are very similar ( my P85DL is a 2015 but has 53k miles)
It was about 4-6 weeks ago. Carmax was much less as were a few of the other used car services. Shift wouldn’t even make me an offer, sadly.

SOLD!!!!!

To all of the haters out there...it took a little while, but just sold my 2014 Tesla Model S P85D at $52.5k. A few lessons learned for those selling Teslas in the future:

1) Craigslist was the best source of leads. I had to pay $5 twice (each ad only lasts 30 days). Definitely worth $10 but beware scammers. I had 2 separate people contact me saying they wanted to buy the car, but their bank required them to get a VIN report from some web site I never heard of (2 different web sites), vs Carfax which everyone has heard of. They want you to go spend $25 to get the report and send it to them. I suspect they then take your credit card and go to town. In both cases they offer to pay you an extra $25 if they buy the car.

2) Trying to sell on here did not help much. A bunch of haters who said the car was overpriced or missing features that it wasn't. It's really depressing to read threads from uninformed dickheads trying to show how much they know. If you're ever not 99% sure of what you're saying, or nobody asked for your opinion on the price, keep it to yourself. It's not fair to the sellers, and I've heard this from others as well in this thread and via direct messages.

3) I bought my car from Tesla 12/24/14, so it was classified as a 2014. If I had waited a week, the Kelley Blue Book would be $5k higher. As of a few months ago, Tesla has finally adopted the industry standard where "2020 models" start in the fall of 2019. So if you buy right now, you are buying a 2020. That would've helped me a lot.

4) Tesla offered either $47 or 48k (I can't recall). If you've got a little time be patient. Kelley Blue Book was $54k for excellent condition private party sale, so I was willing to wait to get close to that.

5) I had a number of near misses with people who loved my car, but decided to buy a new Model 3. The prices are relatively similar, but the performance is not. I am not sure what I will buy now, but if I do get another Tesla, I will lease it as the resale is pretty poor and there are many new EVs coming on the market from Ford, Audi, VW, Porsche, etc. I suspect resale values will suffer.

6) When you sell, be sure to find the "factory reset" switch inside the display screens. That deletes your navigation history, your bluetooth phone, your garage door opener, etc.

I think that's it. Good luck to all of the sellers out there, and if any of you ever have any specific questions, feel free to message me directly.
The people on here that try to bash someone’s asking price have no intention to buy cause one they can’t afford it and two they are jealous and wish they could have one themselves.
Congratulations on the sale. Most buyers don’t realize that your P85D is better than most with having the * suspension and also hasn’t degraded since a 2014 P85D has 242 miles of range. A very happy buyer got a great Tesla

I guess if you were looking to buy another Tesla it would have likely made sense to trade it? At $47k-$48k trade-in, you would have saved another $4k-$5k in taxes (if your state allows) and not have had the hassle of trying to sell to a private party.

Thanks for sharing the selling price and all of your insights!
It was about 4-6 weeks ago. Carmax was much less as were a few of the other used car services. Shift wouldn’t even make me an offer, sadly.
FYI California does not give you tax credit on a trade in. They are one of the few states that don’t. And if they did it would be close to 6-7% not 10%. A lot of people have no clue about that either and go to let’s say carmax and get a quote than take anything more than what carmax offered unfortunately. The great part about doing it thru carmax is that you can than go shop at whatever dealership you want and receive it rather than having to do it all through one dealership. Here in AZ our tax is close to 9% making it very advantageous to go that route. However if you purchase from a private seller not a dealer you pay zero taxes. So let’s say you but $100k car you’re going to save about $8700 in taxes from a private seller. So dealers need the incentive out here to compete either private seller market.
But you can also expect to get more for your car selling in California. Kbb valued your car at $55k you said and it would probably be around $50k on kbb if you put an Arizona zip code.
Oregon is definitely where it’s at to purchase cars. Or I should say being a resident in Oregon is where it’s at cause you can purchase a car anywhere and pay no taxes. Must be nice

FYI California does not give you tax credit on a trade in. They are one of the few states that don’t. And if they did it would be close to 6-7% not 10%. A lot of people have no clue about that either and go to let’s say carmax and get a quote than take anything more than what carmax offered unfortunately. The great part about doing it thru carmax is that you can than go shop at whatever dealership you want and receive it rather than having to do it all through one dealership. Here in AZ our tax is close to 9% making it very advantageous to go that route. However if you purchase from a private seller not a dealer you pay zero taxes. So let’s say you but $100k car you’re going to save about $8700 in taxes from a private seller. So dealers need the incentive out here to compete either private seller market.
But you can also expect to get more for your car selling in California. Kbb valued your car at $55k you said and it would probably be around $50k on kbb if you put an Arizona zip code.
Oregon is definitely where it’s at to purchase cars. Or I should say being a resident in Oregon is where it’s at cause you can purchase a car anywhere and pay no taxes. Must be nice

I tried KBB for both here and Phoenix and the KBB private party number was only $300 less in AZ, not $5k as you suggested.

I tried KBB for both here and Phoenix and the KBB private party number was only $300 less in AZ, not $5k as you suggested.
Where in California are you located? Try putting in an expensive zip code and than put in
My bad I meant Carfax KBB isn’t that detailed to give you values based off the zip code. I have basically the same car and still have the pictures of the two different prices. Obviously depending where you live in California and even Arizona decides how much more based off the demographics