TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ford Bows to Pressure, Revamps MyFord Touch

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Mycroft, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Fox News: Ford Bows to Pressure, Revamps Highly-Criticized Infotainment System - Nov 7, 2011

Hopefully Tesla's programmers will do a better job and be MUCH faster with the updates!

2. Leafer

Leafer New Member

Fix Or Repair Daily

3. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I'm rather concerned about the Tesla touchscreen myself. I'm a programmer, I'm passionate about the craft, it's history, lessons learned, etc. I went back for my Master's on software process/culture/design/etc, and it's just the norm that software schedules are badly underestimated for all sorts of reasons. I really hope they're going for a very small set of must have functionality with a long list of "nice to haves" that can be cut as needed in the initial release, but added later. Given everything goes through that touch screen, it need to be rock solid...and no 1.0 software release ever is.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Found On Road Dead.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Ford is on my lifetime black list, due to selling me a total lemon. :cursing: In the first (and last) 18 months I owned that pile of junk, the transmission disintegrated (week 1!), fuel injection system failed (stranded on the highway), catalytic converter heat shield broke loose (roared so loud it scared pedestrians), front sway bar fell off (wtf?!?), electric locks failed, gas pedal failed, engine oil leaked, gas tank leaked, rain leaked into the cabin (seriously could these guys seal anything?), and, well, you get the idea. I took a bath and traded the thing after 18 months because I just couldn't take it any more!

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Didn't know you coded as well. In any case, that's true, but I REALLY hope they've had a team on this since it was unveiled back in 09 (well technically, worked on since 08). Microsoft got Windows Phone out in a year and change (or was it 2?). Tesla doesn't have as many employees, but that may work FOR them since they'll be more agile.

A big upside is that the car is connected so it should be pretty trivial to fix any bugs or security issues on the fly.

6. SByer

SByer '08 #383

We don't yet know what technology they will be using to drive that display, do we? Back when, it was to be a Java (where most of the low level drivers would live) + Flash combo. Flash doesn't have the best UI layout mechanisms, but HTML5 isn't really in terribly much better shape yet, either. HTML5 would allow for more rapid development, and a Linux based multi-process browser would be more secure (a lot more secure), and there's an open source implementation of such a beast already.

As for development practices, good ones can definitely make a big difference, but yeah, schedules are always tough.

I think Ford definitely took a wrong turn going with a Windows-based environment.

7. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I think Ford thinks so too.

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#8 AnOutsider, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Sbyer, I actually think flash has great UI potential. Much easier to design in.

Saw this video today:

9. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Seatbelts appear to be optional in the Day of Glass.:frown:

Very cool video -- we can only hope that the UI on the Model S is as elegant as what was shown here.

10. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

She's wearing a seat belt, they just didn't show her putting it on.

I think Model S 1.5 or 2.0 will have the magic sky pano roof.